ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-11-2019, 09:06 AM

Thanked 1,182 Times in 520 Posts
Default Stampede Blue Article: What kind of DE has Ballard drafted before?

Article located here.

Summary:
Quote:
During Ballard’s tenure in Indianapolis and Kansas City, his organizations have drafted six edge rushers in six drafts.
Common Traits:
Quote:
Senior edge rusher— preferably players who played in the Senior Bowl
Excellent burst and explosion— every player had a 10 yard split under 1.7 seconds
Strengths: Overall athleticism, great tackling, and burst
Weaknesses: Run defense, bend, and raw pass rush move set
Motor and tenacity— each player had a knack for playing until the whistle
Bonus-> Length as a rusher
2019 Potential First Round Players who Fit:
Quote:
1. Charles Omenihu, DE, Texas

Size: 6’6” 275 pounds

Career Stats: 115 total tackles, 30 tackles for a loss, 16.5 sacks, and 4 forced fumbles

Why He Fits: If any player fits the mold that Ballard likes in his defensive ends, its Charles Omenihu. Mostly a sub-rusher for Texas, Omenihu was very disruptive with a quick burst off of the line and a lengthy frame. He was a standout at the Senior Bowl where he put together a couple good practices. Omenihu also excels at tackling and has a relentless motor. His weaknesses are his lack of bend on the edge and inconsistent run defense.

2. Montez Sweat, DE, Mississippi State

Size: 6’6” 252 pounds

Career Stats: 105 total tackles, 30.5 tackles for a loss, 23.5 sacks, and 1 forced fumble

Why He Fits: If Ballard decides to address defensive end in the first round, Sweat would be an excellent fit for what he looks for. The talk of the week at the Senior Bowl, Sweat was insanely hard to block due to his large frame and relentless play style. His other strengths include an excellent burst off of the line of scrimmage and a motor that never runs out. He is also pretty stout as a run defender for a player with his slimmer frame. His biggest weaknesses are his lack of bend around the corner and his occasional struggle to shed blocks.

3. Chase Winovich, DE, Michigan

Size: 6’3” 255 pounds

Career Stats: 166 total tackles, 43 tackles for a loss, 18.5 sacks, and 3 forced fumbles

Why He Fits: This may seem like an odd fit but I think Winovich makes a lot of sense with what Ballard likes in his players. Winovich was slated to appear in the Senior Bowl but had to withdraw due to an injury suffered in Michigan’s bowl game. His has strengths at the point of attack, above average athleticism, and relentless motor in both run and pass defense. His weaknesses are struggles with bend and shedding blocks. He was a two time Academic All-Big Ten honoree, recipient of team MVP honors in 2018, and was awarded his team’s first ever “Blue Collar Award.”

Honorable Mentions: Jaylon Ferguson (LA Tech), Joe Jackson (Miami), Shareef Miller (Penn State)
Food for thought.

Walk Worthy,
The Following User Says Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
TheMugwump (02-12-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 11:54 AM

Default How do we think Lewis and Turay will end up being?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought both had suffered some injuries this year, which is why they weren't performing up to expectations.

Don't get me wrong; the pass rush was too anemic at times even with them in it, so I'm all for adding another edge rusher and a damn good 3-tech. But at the same time I'm still interested to see how the two already on our roster will end up being. Maybe that'll affect who they end up drafting?

And on a different topic: Does KC value the same sort of defensive lineman that Indy does? I ask because of that note at the end of the SB article:
Quote:
"It is entirely possible that Ballard disagreed with much of the decisions made during his time with the Chiefs’ organization."
I'll go one further and say that it's also possible that there's a different set of criteria here that may make him adjust here. But I don't know, because I didn't pay enough attention to the minutiae about Kansas City's defense . Anyone know what their criteria are as opposed to the Colts? Would there be a difference, or will one team prefer a more technically polished player? Is speed a predominant trait that's looked for with either team, or power? Or burst, which is distinct from speed? Granted, the ideal EDGE has all of those, but those players tend to go top 10.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:52 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

We'll see how the board falls, but you don't draft a player with those traits in Rd 1.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:14 PM

Thanked 1,182 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
We'll see how the board falls, but you don't draft a player with those traits in Rd 1.
I agree with you 100%

Which is why I hope that the right guy at 3-tech, safety or CB is on the board for our round 1 pick. Besides DE, those three spots need another stud or two.

Find 3-tech, DE, CB, SS in the first 3 rounds of the draft would be BRILLIANT!

Walk Worthy,
Old 02-11-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
I agree with you 100%

Which is why I hope that the right guy at 3-tech, safety or CB is on the board for our round 1 pick. Besides DE, those three spots need another stud or two.

Find 3-tech, DE, CB, SS in the first 3 rounds of the draft would be BRILLIANT!

Walk Worthy,
Agree with you on most of that, but not necessarily on CB. Of course it depends on the player (see OG: Q. Nelson), but you generally find really good zone corners after Rd 1.

Last edited by VeveJones007; 02-11-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:11 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,569 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.M.H. View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought both had suffered some injuries this year, which is why they weren't performing up to expectations.

Don't get me wrong; the pass rush was too anemic at times even with them in it, so I'm all for adding another edge rusher and a damn good 3-tech. But at the same time I'm still interested to see how the two already on our roster will end up being. Maybe that'll affect who they end up drafting?

And on a different topic: Does KC value the same sort of defensive lineman that Indy does? I ask because of that note at the end of the SB article: I'll go one further and say that it's also possible that there's a different set of criteria here that may make him adjust here. But I don't know, because I didn't pay enough attention to the minutiae about Kansas City's defense . Anyone know what their criteria are as opposed to the Colts? Would there be a difference, or will one team prefer a more technically polished player? Is speed a predominant trait that's looked for with either team, or power? Or burst, which is distinct from speed? Granted, the ideal EDGE has all of those, but those players tend to go top 10.
KC has an entirely different scheme than the Colts, and did when Ballard was there. Ballard is basically trying to build a front 7 that is similar to Dallas, which is extremely dissimilar from KC's front 7. That's why his preferences will look dissimilar, he's drafting for a different scheme.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
KC has an entirely different scheme than the Colts, and did when Ballard was there. Ballard is basically trying to build a front 7 that is similar to Dallas, which is extremely dissimilar from KC's front 7. That's why his preferences will look dissimilar, he's drafting for a different scheme.
I suspect that Ballard values size and ability to play the run more than his counterparts in KC did. See: Sheard, Hunt, decision to cut Simon.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:55 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

The Colts will be playing some really good QB's this coming season. They need to find one person in Free Agencey and find a second in the draft. If they can't get to the QB this coming season, it's going to be a long season.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:53 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,569 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I suspect that Ballard values size and ability to play the run more than his counterparts in KC did. See: Sheard, Hunt, decision to cut Simon.
Kemoko Turay?
Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Kemoko Turay?
I didn't say it was an either/or.