ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-13-2020, 08:55 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
Okay, how about this. The Colts could have signed Bridgewater, Dalton AND Cam Newton and still had 7 million to sign some OL depth.

I really have no problem with paying good money for a quality player, but before I lay down money on a car with a solid history, but I'd still want to test drive it and be sure it still was a great car. Otherwise, I think I make a much lower counter offer. When Rivers signed for 25 million, I was convinced that the buyers were sure of him. I'm not convinced of that any longer, are you?

Rivers was signed mainly due to his familiarity with reich and his system. One year contract for middle of the pack money (see above post), not top 5 money which also didnt really have any issues regarding our cap. The colts knew they couldnt trot brissett out there for another full season. Dont see why you are struggling with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2020, 10:03 PM

Thanked 1,902 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray007 View Post
When he signed up, I think that the assumption was that you were handing Rivers a great OL, a top 5 running attack, one elite WR and two others with high upside.

On Sunday, he didn't have any of those things. On Sunday, he had Leraven Clark, who was doing his best imitation of a turnstile; a RB who's having a hard time exploiting holes; a TY Hilton who's a shadow of his old self; and a WR corps behind him made up of, mostly, scrubs.

In addition, Jack Doyle, somehow seems to have aged badly.

That doesn't excuse the interceptions or the safety. But, going into 2020, any reasonable fan had to know that you weren't getting Rivers at his 25 year old best. You were getting a game manager who wasn't afraid to take chances.

That having been said, you can't really be surprised by what happened against the Browns.
Rivers no longer has the arm strength to really utilize Hilton best, the deep throws. Thats a big part of the problem.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (10-14-2020), Racehorse (10-14-2020), Spike (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
... Dont see why you are struggling with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess what I'm struggling with is that even though it's one year, no one on the Colts has a higher cap hit. And, between Rivers and Brissette, the cap hit is 46 million. That tells me that we need help in evaluating QB talent, especially before throwing large sums of money on middle to low level talent players. Ballard has strengths in evaluating talent, but apparently, that does not include QB talent.

I really thought that when they signed Rivers for 25 million, they were sure of his arm strength. It's not my money, but it is my favorite team and after 5 games there is one certainty, Rivers has lost a lot of the skills he once had and management should have been able to know that before giving him "middle of the pack" millions.
Oldcolt (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
I guess what I'm struggling with is that even though it's one year, no one on the Colts has a higher cap hit. And, between Rivers and Brissette, the cap hit is 46 million. That tells me that we need help in evaluating QB talent, especially before throwing large sums of money on middle to low level talent players. Ballard has strengths in evaluating talent, but apparently, that does not include QB talent.

I really thought that when they signed Rivers for 25 million, they were sure of his arm strength. It's not my money, but it is my favorite team and after 5 games there is one certainty, Rivers has lost a lot of the skills he once had and management should have been able to know that before giving him "middle of the pack" millions.
I see it more that ballard hasnt found a QB that he wants to sink long term big cap hits into. I get the short term money for rivers. I get why they signed brissett at the time, but I think they gave him too much. I agree that 46M for the two is too much, but at least it doesnt extend beyond this season.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:27 PM

I know its rumormill churn, but I am starting to see "Dak to Colts" surface...
Old 10-14-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I see it more that ballard hasnt found a QB that he wants to sink long term big cap hits into. I get the short term money for rivers. I get why they signed brissett at the time, but I think they gave him too much. I agree that 46M for the two is too much, but at least it doesnt extend beyond this season.
I agree short term for unsure things, but the QBs I mentioned before Bridgewater, Newton and Dalton were all signed short term for a pittance of what the Colts paid Rivers. The big price paid to Rivers made me think that they were reasonably sure that he was solid and that his arm was strong. If they weren't sure, don't give him 25 million unless he can prove it.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:49 PM

Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,217 Posts

From what I can see, Rivers has not lost any arm strength, I've seen him make some decent throws outside the numbers that Brees would not even attempt, because of his weak arm and that Jackson doesn't attempt because he's not accurate enough.

Arm strength is overrated for deep balls, that's much more about seeing it early, timing and accuracy. Besides if TY catches that bomb at home, that he lost in the sun, we wouldn't even being having this conversation.

Say want you want about Rivers throwing motion, but it actually leads to a very quick release, which leads to less sacks, pressures etc.

Now if you want to critique Rivers decision making then, that's where the problems really have been noticeable. I believe some of that is losing Mack, Campbell and Pittman and not really having enough reps with everyone in this offense, especially TY.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (10-14-2020), Colts And Orioles (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 07:39 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,682 Times in 2,058 Posts

Quote:
I know its rumormill churn, but I am starting to see "Dak to Colts" surface...
Ugh, Dak would likely be an improvement but I still think he is a 10-15 qb in this league at best.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:14 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,642 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Ugh, Dak would likely be an improvement but I still think he is a 10-15 qb in this league at best.
That's all this team would need.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:31 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,682 Times in 2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
That's all this team would need.
I honestly think we should shoot higher. We thought our oline would be better than it has so far.

FYI ESPN thinks we should trade for Darnold.

ESPN trade proposals