ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-09-2023, 12:55 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Times have changed in the NFL to where having the threat of a running QB is essential if you want a modern attack. If you have a QB like AR you are going to see a ton of single high safety looks. He will definitely lose that freakish running ability but give me 5 years of it and I’d be happy. Pocket passers don’t win in the NFL anymore. Stroud can also put pressure on defenses with his feet
Old 03-09-2023, 02:35 PM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Times have changed in the NFL to where having the threat of a running QB is essential if you want a modern attack. If you have a QB like AR you are going to see a ton of single high safety looks. He will definitely lose that freakish running ability but give me 5 years of it and I’d be happy. Pocket passers don’t win in the NFL anymore. Stroud can also put pressure on defenses with his feet
Eh, I don't know about that. I guess depending on your definition of "pocket passer." But even still, look at the QB's of the SB winning team going back.
Stafford just won in '21. Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert are traditional pocket QB's even though they're athletic enough to hurt you if running lanes open up. Andrew Luck was like that.

Then there's guys like Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers and others who can scramble around and create off-script, but I'd still consider them more pocket passers.

Both of ^^ those categories of QB are different from the Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick style where their limitations in the passing game necessitate their contributions to the run game. And these types of guys seem to gain notoriety from a breakout season, but then fail to ever approach that success again. Hurts is the latest, so we'll see in the coming years if he comes back to Earth like those other guys.

Richardson is in that third category... and that's only if he taps his potential.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
rcubed (05-19-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

Anthony Richardson’s NFL Combine Performance Was Out of This World

(By Mookie Alexander)

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/3/4/...ng-quarterback

o
o

If the Seahawks Want Richardson, a Bears Trade Might Be the Only Option

(By Josh Schrock)

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/be...rk-bears-favor

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 03-09-2023, 04:46 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

If the Seahawks Want Richardson, a Bears Trade Might Be the Only Option

(By Josh Schrock)

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/be...rk-bears-favor

o
They'd still be able to get him at 3.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:46 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Eh, I don't know about that. I guess depending on your definition of "pocket passer." But even still, look at the QB's of the SB winning team going back.
Stafford just won in '21. Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert are traditional pocket QB's even though they're athletic enough to hurt you if running lanes open up. Andrew Luck was like that.

Then there's guys like Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers and others who can scramble around and create off-script, but I'd still consider them more pocket passers.

Both of ^^ those categories of QB are different from the Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick style where their limitations in the passing game necessitate their contributions to the run game. And these types of guys seem to gain notoriety from a breakout season, but then fail to ever approach that success again. Hurts is the latest, so we'll see in the coming years if he comes back to Earth like those other guys.

Richardson is in that third category... and that's only if he taps his potential.
To me, Hurts and Allen epitomize what you look for in a modern day QB. Big, very strong arms, and athletic enough that you can design plays for them where they become the running back, and a legitimate running back, one that can take it to the house on you if you aren't prepared for it. I think Richardson has that type of potential and if so, you are a fool if you don't take a shot at him.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
apballin (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 02:59 PM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
To me, Hurts and Allen epitomize what you look for in a modern day QB. Big, very strong arms, and athletic enough that you can design plays for them where they become the running back
We can't lump Allen and Hurts together. Allen is athletic enough, but so was Luck. Luck was actually the same size as Allen but faster, quicker, and more explosive. We wouldn't lump Luck as a football player with Jackson, Newton, Hurts, Vince Young. Allen is an anomaly in that he's top passer who is asked to do designed runs. It's risky, but they do it. Luck could've done that. If Allen runs a sweep and lacerates his kidney like Luck, I bet they stop doing it. But Allen would still be a great QB without the runs or without an absolutely loaded team. I don't see that with those other guys.

I don't mean to shit on Hurts, but he's got to prove it longer. He's hot now with tons of talent and the best OL in football. But Kaepernick was also white hot at one point when the 49ers were loaded. Dudes were saying he was tougher to defend than Rodgers, Brees, and Brady. The future. Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
I think Richardson has that type of potential and if so, you are a fool if you don't take a shot at him.
Taking Richardson in hopes that he'll be Josh Allen is one thing. I'm not saying anybody is wrong for wanting to take that shot. Personally I think the odds are way too low to take the gamble.

Really, forget Josh Allen... odds are he won't even be Hurts/Newton. He's probably at least as likely to be the next Malik Willis as to be the next one of those guys.
Old 03-10-2023, 04:37 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

o

It will be really interesting to see how this one ages ......

Former Steelers LB Offers Unbelievable Opinion That the Team Should Dump Kenny Pickett for Anthony Richardson

(By Bob Quinn, Staff Writer)

https://www.steelernation.com/2023/0...for-richardson

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck