ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 08-10-2018, 09:13 AM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts
Default Preseason week 1 thoughts

Only watched 2.5 quarters. I pretty much bowed out once Walker was in the game. Didn't study anything too closely, all just first impressions...

THE GOOD:

1. Andrew Luck played, hit some passes, took some hits and survived. That's a win for the Colts.

2. Look, the defense is going to suck, but I did think they tackled well for a preseason week 1 game. Doesn't mean they got their angles right all the time, but you can tell this has been a more physical camp just by the tackling in this game.

3. Gone are the days where the offensive design is to run the RB aimlessly into the LOS on inside runs and have no creativity (besides dumb RB direct snaps that do the same thing) besides that. This is clearly an offense that's going to exploit matchups and play to RB skillsets.

4. Pressure up the middle doesn't look to be the QB thread anymore. Interior OL is night and day pass-blocking.

THE BAD:

1. ...but pressure off the edges is an issue. It will be far less of an issue if Castonzo is back and healthy, but this team needs an answer besides Castonzo. Not because Castonzo is bad, but because they've been pushing their luck relying on him to be there for every single game as long as they have, with no viable alternative. Also: I don't trust anyone at RT.

2. This defense is going to be pretty awful for a lot of reasons, but primarily because there are so few natural scheme fits. That front seven, as expected, is an absolute mess of inexperience and poor scheme fit.

WHO KNOWS:

1. I think the jury is very much out on Chris Ballard identifying defensive talent. Of his picks...

*Malik Hooker is probably a good player, but hurt and hasn't/hadn't reached his potential, so jury out a bit here.

*I like Quincy Wilson personally, but he isn't exactly locking down a starting spot and didn't look especially good last night. I think it's an incredibly tough look if your 2nd round corner from a year ago isn't confidently holding down a starting CB spot the following year.

*Tarell Basham doesn't really look like anything, if we're being honest. He's there. He gets a few unblocked pressures. That's really it.

*Grover Stewart doesn't look like a guy who should make the final 53.

*Nate Hairston is a good nickel back. This was good talent identification from Ballard.

*Jury is out on Anthony Walker, who can't stay healthy. I haven't seen anything special when he is healthy. I would take Skai Moore over him if both were healthy.

*Jury is out on the entire 2018 draft class, of course. There's not much to fairly judge, but between camp and the first game, could you tell me you have confidence in any of them besides maybe Leonard making an impact?

2. Chester Rogers making business decisions while locked in a heated battle for the WR2 spot tells me this WR2 spot is still completely open. I don't think Ryan Grant is any kind of talent that can hold on to the spot, and I don't think Deon Cain has proven anything yet. It's going to be really interesting to watch this battle. WR2 snaps in preseason week 3 will look so much different than regular season week 1 will look so much different than regular season week 8 etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
Chaka (08-10-2018), Puck (08-10-2018), Thorgrim (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 10:24 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Watched the entire game. Other than Luck looking as good as I could have hoped for, the most encouraging thing to me was that the team looked like an NFL team. Plays were called that actually had a chance to work and I wasn't predicting correctly almost every play. I didn't curse or throw anything at the TV because of idiot coaching decisions. I had forgotten how nice that is. I am going to enjoy watching this team play and improve. Good start.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
GoBigBlue88 (08-10-2018), Racehorse (08-10-2018), sherck (08-11-2018), Spike (08-10-2018), YDFL Commish (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Watched the entire game. Other than Luck looking as good as I could have hoped for, the most encouraging thing to me was that the team looked like an NFL team. Plays were called that actually had a chance to work and I wasn't predicting correctly almost every play. I didn't curse or throw anything at the TV because of idiot coaching decisions. I had forgotten how nice that is. I am going to enjoy watching this team play and improve. Good start.
I agree with this. Forgot to mention that -- and I realize the sample size is incredibly small -- this team didn't have its trademark undisciplined false start or offsides penalties galore as it did in the Pagano days. They looked composed at the snap, albeit defensively out of sorts after the snap.

The only really ridiculous penalty was Shamarko Thomas', and he was brought in a few weeks ago so no expectations he would be anything other than a flailing body out there.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
I agree with this. Forgot to mention that -- and I realize the sample size is incredibly small -- this team didn't have its trademark undisciplined false start or offsides penalties galore as it did in the Pagano days. They looked composed at the snap, albeit defensively out of sorts after the snap.

The only really ridiculous penalty was Shamarko Thomas', and he was brought in a few weeks ago so no expectations he would be anything other than a flailing body out there.
He had 2 pretty dumb penalties IIRC

Good thing you didnt watch the end of the game..... it gets REALLY ugly in the 4th qtr.... The center almost gave the game away. 3 bad snaps in a row (fumbles under center) with the last one being launched into the endzone (shotgun) for a seattle TD
GoBigBlue88 (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 12:02 PM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

If I want to be critical, I could pick on Luck for retaining one of his classic bad habits, forcing the ball to TY in tight coverage. He was 1/3 to TY. On the last incompletion, Doyle was open running a crossing route to the left. Luck locked on to TY on that sideline throw that never had a chance.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:13 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Nice to see Luck in action. Locked in on TY too much. I liked his pass to doyle, 7 step drop and drove through the throw.

We executed a screen!

Nice use of short passing and RBs.

Defense will be an issue this year but I think better than last year.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
If I want to be critical, I could pick on Luck for retaining one of his classic bad habits, forcing the ball to TY in tight coverage. He was 1/3 to TY. On the last incompletion, Doyle was open running a crossing route to the left. Luck locked on to TY on that sideline throw that never had a chance.
I really think this offense will encourage (/force) Luck to go to the mismatch/open man whether it's Hilton or someone else. It makes sense that he'd favor Hilton in his first game in 500orwhatever days, but I saw enough role and play-specific action with RBs to make me think it won't be a season-long problem.

Think we'll see Luck comfortable with Hilton, RBs & TEs early. The major question is who wants to win the WR2 spot.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:32 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Luck has to stop that with TY.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I thought the same. It seems like he often has the bad habit of staring down TY. Don’t see it as much with other receeivers. It’s week 1 of preseason after having missed a lot of time so it’s hard to be critical. Still, they really need someone else to step up and gain Lucks trust. From camp that may be Ebron. Hopefully a WR will step up though.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:19 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

[QUOTE=Puck;74253]He had 2 pretty dumb penalties IIRC

Good thing you didnt watch the end of the game..... it gets REALLY ugly in the 4th qtr.... The center almost gave the game away. 3 bad snaps in a row (fumbles under center) with the last one being launched into the endzone (shotgun) for a seattle TD[/QUOTE

Who was playing C at the time?