ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 01-15-2021, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
Understood, but IMO, if the Colts rehire Rivers, they will have the worst QB in their own division. Not that Rivers is bad, it's just that the others are better.
Lawrence isn't..... yet
Old 01-15-2021, 10:16 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
Understood, but IMO, if the Colts rehire Rivers, they will have the worst QB in their own division. Not that Rivers is bad, it's just that the others are better.
Lawerence might be a better athlete than Rivers, I’m betting he cant read an NFL defence
Old 01-15-2021, 10:23 PM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Somebody said that about Brees, Brady, Starr, and fill in the blank
Sure, now go list all the ones who didn't make the cut who teams did count on.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:33 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Sure, now go list all the ones who didn't make the cut who teams did count on.
Its a long list that contains Heisman trophy winners. I had my money on Danny Werrfull
Old 01-16-2021, 12:09 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Lawerence might be a better athlete than Rivers, I’m betting he cant read an NFL defence
I bet he can. College is more advanced than it used to be. Kids are better coached now and coming into the league more advanced than they used to be. Also something people don’t mention much of, but I think Madden improves kids processing of football now. It’s essentially a football simulator they are playing all the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 12:27 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I bet he can. College is more advanced than it used to be. Kids are better coached now and coming into the league more advanced than they used to be. Also something people don’t mention much of, but I think Madden improves kids processing of football now. It’s essentially a football simulator they are playing all the time.
The anticipation I've seen on some of Mac Jones's throws is on par with a seasoned veteran. The moment the DB turns to run, he's throwing the ball on deep routes. He's also shown the ability to throw guys open.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:41 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
The anticipation I've seen on some of Mac Jones's throws is on par with a seasoned veteran. The moment the DB turns to run, he's throwing the ball on deep routes. He's also shown the ability to throw guys open.
I keep coming back to him. Looks off the safety, his guys are wide open but the balls are still accurate. Poor mans Joe Burrow? I like his demeanor and accuracy. Stays calm, gets a little too angry when he makes a mistake, but looks like he is fixing it. He isn’t as accurate as Burrow, burrow played the toughest schedule ever and just was nailing it. But Jones’ offense has been efficient and basically unstoppable. If you are a three star and have taken over the Bama qb spot. That says something. He isn’t grat in the athleticism and arm dept, but I do like a lot about him.

Honestly. If Eason was the guy, he would be forcing the team to play him.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:55 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
I keep coming back to him. Looks off the safety, his guys are wide open but the balls are still accurate. Poor mans Joe Burrow? I like his demeanor and accuracy. Stays calm, gets a little too angry when he makes a mistake, but looks like he is fixing it. He isn’t as accurate as Burrow, burrow played the toughest schedule ever and just was nailing it. But Jones’ offense has been efficient and basically unstoppable. If you are a three star and have taken over the Bama qb spot. That says something. He isn’t grat in the athleticism and arm dept, but I do like a lot about him.
"Poor man's Burrow" was my initial assessment, but as I watched more, I started thinking a cross between collegiate Drew Brees with better athleticism/escapability and collegiate Russell Wilson with a weaker arm. That goes back to the pocket presence I mentioned before. He senses the rush very well, seems to already have an internal clock for when the ball should be out, shows good escapability in the pocket, and always seems to keep his eyes downfield looking for a receiver to come open when he escapes the rush and starts to look to run. The only flaw I see in his game is arm strength, but he can still throw 15 yard outs and 25 yard corners with zip. I think he could improve that like Brees did working with an NFL strength and conditioning team. I hope he stays the 5th ranked QB and the Colts get a shot at him at pick 21.

Quote:
Honestly. If Eason was the guy, he would be forcing the team to play him.
See, I don't agree with this, especially in a pandemic. Eason has had pretty much zero time to show the Colts what he can do in a live game situation. As a 4th round pick, there's zero pressure on the front office to make him "the guy", and Ballard has intentionally tempered expectations on him from day one I think for that exact reason. There's no doubt the team likes his talent, and so do other teams, but Ballard isn't going to put his job on the line for Eason unless he sees Eason perform well in line action. He could still be "the guy", but because of his draft status, it won't be preordained by the Colts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-16-2021), smitty46953 (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 11:30 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Eason is an extreme long shot. He has the size and arm so fans like me can dream. COVID may have been good for his professional development as it slowed it way down and gave him what is in reality a complete red shirt year. By the end of next year the Colts should have a better handle on who he can be. At least he doesn't appear to be an idiot like Leaf or Schlichter.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:23 PM

Thanked 1,550 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Eason is an extreme long shot. He has the size and arm so fans like me can dream. COVID may have been good for his professional development as it slowed it way down and gave him what is in reality a complete red shirt year. By the end of next year the Colts should have a better handle on who he can be. At least he doesn't appear to be an idiot like Leaf or Schlichter.
I hope you are right about this, but do we have any evidence of that yet? Again, the pandemic could have put a damper on a lot of stupid behavior.