ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-19-2018, 11:22 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

I heard people say Josh Rosen (white QB from UCLA) was well-spoken. Plenty of white OL prospects too.

However I'd say the bar is lower for white people to call black people, and especially young black males, well-spoken. Stemming from a general place of surprise that a black person would be easily understood and able to communicate using standard white bread English.

To me it is relatively harmless compared to overt racism, or even passive racism, but points out an presumption that many people hold without even thinking of it.

And I'd also agree there is an age/generation aspect to it at times as well.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:06 PM

I can't speak for anyone else's life experiences but my own. I spent a career evaluating and selecting leadership talent. The ability to communicate effectively is a key element in generating followership and transcends age, race, gender, etc. I get why Leonard was selected to captain the defense. Besides his obvious athletic talents the dude shows up like a leader.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
I heard people say Josh Rosen (white QB from UCLA) was well-spoken. Plenty of white OL prospects too.

However I'd say the bar is lower for white people to call black people, and especially young black males, well-spoken. Stemming from a general place of surprise that a black person would be easily understood and able to communicate using standard white bread English.

To me it is relatively harmless compared to overt racism, or even passive racism, but points out an presumption that many people hold without even thinking of it.

And I'd also agree there is an age/generation aspect to it at times as well.
God help us if we're to the point where we have to villainize people for saying something nice about someone else. Here's an article referring to Andrew Luck as "well-spoken":

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...-ads/91486374/

And here's an internet post calling Matt Hasselback "well spoken":

https://www.reddit.com/r/Colts/comme...ame_interview/

They are easy to find - just type your favorite player's name into Google with the term "well spoken" and you'll find that nearly everyone has been called this at some point in their career. People are sometimes also called "articulate" or "eloquent", they mean pretty much the same thing and they are all compliments.

Maybe its more noticeable with football players because of the stereotype of the "big dumb jock" - I don't know - or maybe it's used with young players because fans don't know much about them yet and they are thirsty for info - any info - to justify their fanship. But this is a silly discussion.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:18 PM

Thanked 4,282 Times in 1,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
God help us if we're to the point where we have to villainize people for saying something nice about someone else. Here's an article referring to Andrew Luck as "well-spoken":

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...-ads/91486374/

And here's an internet post calling Matt Hasselback "well spoken":

https://www.reddit.com/r/Colts/comme...ame_interview/

They are easy to find - just type your favorite player's name into Google with the term "well spoken" and you'll find that nearly everyone has been called this at some point in their career. People are sometimes also called "articulate" or "eloquent", they mean pretty much the same thing and they are all compliments.

Maybe its more noticeable with football players because of the stereotype of the "big dumb jock" - I don't know - or maybe it's used with young players because fans don't know much about them yet and they are thirsty for info - any info - to justify their fanship. But this is a silly discussion.
Nobody was villianized.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Nobody was villianized.
Perhaps that was a bit of an overstatement, but what was the point of your original comment on this subject?
Old 09-19-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Perhaps that was a bit of an overstatement, but what was the point of your original comment on this subject?
It’s an observation I found funny. To me it is an odd comment and I hear people say it about black dudes a lot.

Last edited by omahacolt; 09-19-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:13 PM

Thanked 4,373 Times in 2,519 Posts

I would venture to guess that they would all prefer to be thought of as "well spoken of" than just "well spoken"
Old 09-19-2018, 07:50 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Fair enough

But I never hear it unless it is describing a black dude.
Have you ever been told that you are well spoken?
Old 09-19-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Have you ever been told that you are well spoken?
nope

your mom told me i was well hung though
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 08:31 PM

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,198 Posts

Back ob topic. Darius Leonard named AFC defensive player of the week per Colts.com:

Quote:
The South Carolina State product becomes the first Colts rookie to earn AFC Player of the Week honors since former outside linebacker Jonathan Newsome was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in Week 17 of the the 2014 season against the Tennessee Titans.

Leonard became the first Colts player to log 18 tackles in a game since Kavell Conner’s 18 stops Week 4 of the 2011 season, and is believed to be the first Colts rookie to achieve that milestone since 1994.
Hopefully he turns out a whole lot better than both of those ass clowns listed above.