ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-29-2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
Because this team didn't take any defensive difference-makers who will be ready to go Day 1, and many of the returning players from last year aren't ideal scheme fits.
Probably better to wait until Day 1 to see if the three defensive players taken in the 2nd are ready. Where did you want the defensive playmakers taken? I dont get it, the most important piece of this team needs protection. With two picks Ballard may have solved the problem of protecting Luck. I'll take that first over a possible playmaker on defense. JMO, tired of seeing the Colts rank near the top in sacks allowed and near the bottom in all aspects of the running game.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indycolts2 For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (04-29-2018), Racehorse (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 02:05 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,610 Times in 2,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmick View Post
This was a poor day for the Colts draft team. Fortunately, late round guys aren't difference makers anyway. It's important to get the top of the draft right. Ballard did that, so let's see what happens. This is a multi-year rebuild anyway.
Patriots do pretty well finding their skill talent in the second half of the draft. The best most athletic linemen are usually found in the top three rounds. I think we will find success if we stay with that pattern. And hopefully we are done spending high picks on oline, unless we find a new left tackle down the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-29-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 06:49 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
Because this team didn't take any defensive difference-makers who will be ready to go Day 1, and many of the returning players from last year aren't ideal scheme fits.
I think Leonard will be a pretty big upgrade from Day 1. Overall, just having better athletes on the fast LOS surface will be an improvement.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indycolts2 View Post
Probably better to wait until Day 1 to see if the three defensive players taken in the 2nd are ready. Where did you want the defensive playmakers taken? I dont get it, the most important piece of this team needs protection. With two picks Ballard may have solved the problem of protecting Luck. I'll take that first over a possible playmaker on defense. JMO, tired of seeing the Colts rank near the top in sacks allowed and near the bottom in all aspects of the running game.
I don't know medicals, character, etc., but Landry and Jackson would likely have a bigger Day 1 impact than what Ballard went with. The fun thing about football is that we'll be able to see over the next few years if he was right or wrong.

If I had to guess, I think he stayed away from anyone with any character concerns. He's trying to establish a strong culture, so that probably played a key role in his final evaluations at this stage of team building.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:58 AM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I don't know medicals, character, etc., but Landry and Jackson would likely have a bigger Day 1 impact than what Ballard went with. The fun thing about football is that we'll be able to see over the next few years if he was right or wrong.

If I had to guess, I think he stayed away from anyone with any character concerns. He's trying to establish a strong culture, so that probably played a key role in his final evaluations at this stage of team building.
Agree that high character was a consistent theme amoung the guys we picked.

Additionally, it appears that Ballard tended towards athletic ability (testing) over college production. It appears that he will trust his coaching staff to take athletic kids and turn them into better football players in the pros than they were in college.

Risky way to go but if it works....

Walk Worthy,
The Following User Says Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Agree that high character was a consistent theme amoung the guys we picked.

Additionally, it appears that Ballard tended towards athletic ability (testing) over college production. It appears that he will trust his coaching staff to take athletic kids and turn them into better football players in the pros than they were in college.

Risky way to go but if it works....

Walk Worthy,
That's certainly true and I think it plays into how Ballard is trying to build this team. These seem to be the things most important to his philosophy:

-Win at line of scrimmage
-Speed and athleticism
-Character
-Create turnovers

I think we'll see a lot more emphasis on that last point in the next few drafts.