ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 09-15-2019, 08:22 PM

Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,135 Posts
Default Well it's a W and that's what we needed!

This team has so completely transformed over the past 2 years it is crazy- we are a power football team that depends on being strong at the point of attack to win all based on attrition and we're actually good at it. I don't think I've ever said that about this team. I like it, I like this bullying type of mentality, but I'm also growing concerned about our inability to advance the ball in vertical chunks. We have to see if he can get it done or not, freakin' call some 2 step drops with a quick slant where he has to throw it to the first read period- and see if he can pull the trigger, if he can't, then we have a need we're going to have to fill. He has every weapon you could ever want to work with- it's time to start taking advantage all this speed. Hell on the interference- Cain had 3 guys beat, the opportunity is there with this talent, we HAVE to find out if Jacoby can leverage that talent or not, and right now that's on the table for evaluation. He was CLOSE on the deep throw to TY late, but in that spot trying to put the game away, that ball has to be put in a catchable position. Obviously we don't get the all 22 so hard to know what's going on with route trees, separation etc... We know TN D is supposed to be pretty good, so in the absence of having film they either have one of the best pass defenses of all time or Jacoby is not able to identify the separation and it's causing him to hold the ball right now I would have to go with the latter. Do absolutely love his grit though, he is very similar to Luck in his willingness to pull the ball down and try to get the 1st down- dangerous but gotta love him for it.

Oline- mostly good game, some of those pressures TN mounted came out of some exotic schemes but by and large there weren't just gang buster meet at the QB events despite all that disguise, which is great. Seen some real solid blocks by the RB's the last couple weeks, that is super. In the run game, man this is becoming just a function of the odds. I think Reich / Sirani have some stats that say that we're going to get a monster gain every "X" carries so we're going to keep pushing toward that # and see if the law of averages holds up- that's a huge level of commitment to the run game and that has to start scaring some DC's out there. We are becoming a bully and I love it.

Not sure what the hell happened with our WR and TE game today- I know of:
- Great out to Ebron with the hurdle
- Shuffle TD to Ebron
- Quick out to Doyle
- Missed out to Allie-Cox

Am I missing any other attempts to TE's?

Regardless, the defenses are going to start stacking that box more and more if we don't start pushing the ball beyond the 2nd level some and this awesome running game is going to come to a screeching halt. And JB MUST, MUST MUST let some of these passes go- period (more than likely he's at a minimum going to get a DPI because the game is a fucking joke).

Defensively, man how do you get pissed at a unit for a game in 100 degree heat where there were multiple short fields to defend and they kept showing up? Well part of that goes to Mariota being a turd, part of that goes to Vrabel being a pud, and part of that goes to Autry being a freakin' beast! I thought the DLine played pretty decent really. Another 4 sacks, nice interior push, and though the lack of Tuary was certainly evident I felt like we got just enough edge rush to force Mariotta to climb the pocket and Grover and Autry did a great job having that area smashed.

I am officially concerned about the LB's. Not sure what the hell is going on with Leonard but that is not the super aggressive fly to the hole and do something reckless that we saw last year. That head duck and bounce off Henry's legs late, that was just pathetic. His tippy toe shit on the goal line for the Henry score, shit man that was Gilbert Gardner weak. Walker repeatedly misses tackles and is out of position. Adams, not real sure what is going on with him on the field so much, he reminds me too much of Antonio Morrison for my liking. I know Speed is a sort of duplication piece with Leonard but damn it looks like we need his speed out there bad. Nice that Okreake was on the field and in great position- catch the ball Coryatt or get the hell on the bench!

Secondary, meh... solid tackling but still not looking like the unit I was expecting that would be ball hawking absolutely everything. Wilson- he's gonna get you penalties but he also is going to make some shit happen- I want more of Wilson.

ST's- fuck man, AV, that shit is just sad. Great great great HOF career but when you've missed EP's in 3 straight games- dude time to go. Sanchez, man that one punt, 63 I think- beautiful, the final punt, trash. Gotta be more consistent. I am thirsty for a PC ST touchdown- I think we're going to see one soon. I also believe we're going to see one taken off the board because of a push in the back- that shit is so tired.

Coaching- LOVE EM'! Short of the conservative play calling- he checks all the boxes. How great is it to see a team line up on 4th and just look across the line and say "F-U, you're going backward". And how great is it to have a coach that recognizes that a man this is 6-3 240, is capable of pushing forward for a yard! That final 4th down call- man I love love love what he did there- used up every single possible second, calls TO and they think we're gonna punt it, instead all the sudden they've got this line staring em' down for the game winning push- that's great psychology- I am so happy we have Reich running things.

Overall, delighted that we got the win. though it wasn't a highlight real of tremendous play, this is a game that under the prior administration, we probably lose by 2 TD's. I look at it that if our HOF kicker was worth a shit we are probably looked at as the 3rd best team in the league. 2 hard fought road wins against good to great teams where we ran the ball down their throats. That's not a bad position to be in. Nor is 1-1 and coming home to try to get some shit straightened out against a team that sure as hell looked bad in their first game.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Chaka (09-16-2019), Indystu2 (09-16-2019), omahacolt (09-16-2019), Spike (09-15-2019), YDFL Commish (09-16-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 08:27 PM

Thanked 4,362 Times in 2,509 Posts

Tennessee is supposed to be such a tough team, but got out-toughed, if that's a word. I like it!
ChoppedWood (09-15-2019), Dewey 5 (09-15-2019), nate505 (09-16-2019), Spike (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Tennessee is supposed to be such a tough team, but got out-toughed, if that's a word. I like it!
We were 7/14 on 3rd and they were 1/10! That is outstanding. Might just be my perception but it seemed like we have a lot of 3rd and longs and they had several very manageable 3rds- and we held them. Critical to both stay and get off that field on a day of record breaking heat.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Spike (09-15-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 12:40 AM

Brissett’s accuracy looked pretty good to my untrained eye during this game. Nice touch on the TD to Campbell. Brissett does look indecisive on lots of plays, however, and I’m still worried about the excessive zip he puts on his short passes. Another one bounced off of Doyle’s hands today and could have been an INT. Nevertheless, overall I’ll admit to being mildly surprised at how well he’s done thus far.

I thought the secondary has been playing pretty well too. It seemed to me that all of the sacks were somewhat slow to develop, and I assume that it’s because Mariota couldn’t find anyone open downfield. And the PI call on Wilson seemed pretty questionable. I hope Desir’s OK.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Spike (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Brissett’s accuracy looked pretty good to my untrained eye during this game. Nice touch on the TD to Campbell. Brissett does look indecisive on lots of plays, however, and I’m still worried about the excessive zip he puts on his short passes. Another one bounced off of Doyle’s hands today and could have been an INT. Nevertheless, overall I’ll admit to being mildly surprised at how well he’s done thus far.

I thought the secondary has been playing pretty well too. It seemed to me that all of the sacks were somewhat slow to develop, and I assume that it’s because Mariota couldn’t find anyone open downfield. And the PI call on Wilson seemed pretty questionable. I hope Desir’s OK.
Secondary is going to have to be on their game Sunday- Jones looks like he is fully recovered and then some, looks like the 1st team All NFL WR that he is. Gonna need Tuary back and tons of pressure on Ryan.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:16 AM

Something I haven't seen mentioned.....

What is with the late hits on Brissett not being called? Two of them in the first quarter I thought were pretty clear, no flag. You can't convince me the refs don't give favoritism to the "elite" qbs, either one of those on Brady or Brees or Rodgers would have been a flag. One he was hit out of bounds and another was shoved down well after the pass.

The D has been disappointing thus far. Leonard is getting beat over the middle on pass attempts pretty consistently. Too much of a run game allowed. Autry was bringing the pressure up the middle but as mentioned no outside rush today, just so happened Mariotta as holding the ball back there forever.

Brissett doing the game thing. Have to get rid of the ball. Most of that pressure today was on him, not the OLine.

Beautiful play though on the Ebron TD, ran that perfectly.

Reich just outcoached them at the end. Typical NE coaching cast off, leave BB and they don't know shit. Why on earth did Tenn, down two, under five minutes, 4th and short, run the full time off the clock trying to get the offsides? I mean I get it, try it, give it a few 'hut, huts', but they are wasting time. Whatever, all the better for the Colts, less time left. Then Reich, I knew he would go for that 4th down, and you should. Brissett does convert those short yardage plays. Play to win.

Then Mariotta mismanaged that one minute drill on that last drive. D played that well. Keep things in the middle and short, let the block run

Its a win, and a division win at that. Its going to be a tough division race based on the results so far. Jags and Texans in a tight one today, Thursday night game coming up for Tenn/Jax.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:17 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Pleased we won. This team is still in the process of defining itself. Brissett is the perfect guy to lead a hard nosed tough team if he can improve his decision making a little. He reminds me of Roman Gabriel (old Ram's qb) the way he shakes off defenders. It is hard to gauge where the offense is at without seeing this Titan defense play more. Vrabel is a tough SOB, it wouldn't surprise me if his defense gave lots of teams fits this year. Just have to wait and see. Our defense is a work in progress, I don't think we have our final starters figured out yet. I'm hopeful when Desir comes back he can't get his starting job back because of how Wilson plays, not sold on the athleticism of our starting linebackers (I think that Okereke/Speed get more playing time) and think Willis will push Geathers and win the starting job at some point. Strange rooting for a grind them out, workman like team that physically tries to wear you down.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:23 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Geathers really sucked yesterday.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:12 AM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Hats off to Khari Willis, not just for leading the team in tackles, but I noticed several times he was running plays down after players in front of him missed tackles. These weren't "big plays" but he was all hustle and eyes out there.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (09-17-2019), ChoppedWood (09-16-2019), Oldcolt (09-16-2019), rcubed (09-16-2019), VeveJones007 (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 07:53 PM

Good article, Colts are being recognized as a team that wants to beat you up- I LOVE IT!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/colts-o...6515--nfl.html
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (09-16-2019)