ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-01-2019, 10:37 AM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,213 Posts

Polite should not be on Ballard's board with at least his 1st 2 picks. If he wants to take a flier on him at 59 I would be okay with that.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:39 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
I wonder if Polite is on Ballard's board or not. This article highlights all of the things that I think would take him off Ballard's board but makes a case for not taking him off the board entirely:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/jac...-draft-process

I do wonder if having Quincy Wilson, his former teammate at Florida and a guy who had issues himself with maturity and growing up might help Polite from becoming what looks to be almost a certain bust. He clearly has the talent; you don't get 11 sacks in the SEC by accident.
He's a really good talent, but the risk is pretty high. I'm assuming some really good options will be available with the first 3 picks, but maybe in Rd 3 or later if he's still on the board.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Polite should not be on Ballard's board with at least his 1st 2 picks. If he wants to take a flier on him at 59 I would be okay with that.
I would be okay with it (Ballard’s earned my trust that I would assume that Polite checked out) but I certainly wouldn’t be stark raving mad over it if Ballard passed on him until several rounds later, even.

Polite is about as boom or bust as it gets, it seems.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
He's a really good talent, but the risk is pretty high. I'm assuming some really good options will be available with the first 3 picks, but maybe in Rd 3 or later if he's still on the board.
Winovich has grown on me to the point that I would love to have him at #59 now, but I do wonder if he's grown on others where he might not be available. #34 might still be a bit of a reach, though.

That's why trades exist, I do suppose.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:01 AM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Winovich has grown on me to the point that I would love to have him at #59 now, but I do wonder if he's grown on others where he might not be available. #34 might still be a bit of a reach, though.

Since we probably won't get one of the blue chip DL's at 26, I'm liking Tillery some time in the 2nd round. I love his hand usage and power.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Agreed. I'm not sure he's the type of guy you trade up to grab, but it's easier to move up from #59 than it is to move up from #26.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Since we probably won't get one of the blue chip DL's at 26, I'm liking Tillery some time in the 2nd round. I love his hand usage and power.
I have a hunch that Wilkins will be there at #26. We'll see. Even if he is, I could see Ballard throwing us a curveball and taking Rapp or Abram, then grabbing some DL in Rd 2.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I have a hunch that Wilkins will be there at #26. We'll see. Even if he is, I could see Ballard throwing us a curveball and taking Rapp or Abram, then grabbing some DL in Rd 2.
I do agree that Wilkins, the locker room leader and guy that came back to win a championship seems more the "Ballard guy" than Dexter Lawrence, the somewhat underachiever and guy that failed a performance-enhancing test.

It could also have something to do with the fact that no longer in a 3-4, we don't really need Lawrence to fill that standalone NT role. Though at 345, I haven't actually seen anything on him being a concern of being too fat/his diet being a concern.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:37 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, was my fault for bringing “nose” into the conversation. They don’t employ a true NT, but the guy in the A gap is the defacto nose when the other DT is in the B gap. They need someone who has the size/strength to hold up against the G/C double or beat that gap. That’s where I think they would primarily use Wilkins.
It was you saying 0-tech, which lines up between the A gaps, that I was referring to. Our nose plays mostly 1 tech, like you are saying, in the A gap.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:04 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,665 Times in 2,050 Posts

Quote:
I wonder if Polite is on Ballard's board or not. This article highlights all of the things that I think would take him off Ballard's board but makes a case for not taking him off the board entirely:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/jac...-draft-process

I do wonder if having Quincy Wilson, his former teammate at Florida and a guy who had issues himself with maturity and growing up might help Polite from becoming what looks to be almost a certain bust. He clearly has the talent; you don't get 11 sacks in the SEC by accident.
He might be one of those guys who are just a better football player than athlete. But I believe Ballard places a lot of emphasis on athletiscm and Polite is on the lower end of that scale. I’m sure he has guys above him.