ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-15-2017, 11:16 AM

Hooray for spirited debate!

My argument for Cook was that he would be the best available prospect and reasons why he would warrant a mid 1st rd pick. I did note that Foster would be the preferable pick, should he still be available.

You make good points about rbs but keep in mind that Chicago has a great run blocking o-line. Miami's line is pretty solid as well. We all know about Pittsburgh and Dallas. The Rams were a disaster. Their line was much worse than Indy's, the qb play was..um... subpar, the play calling was terrible. It's hard to blame Gurley for the terrible season when his team was a complete dumpster fire.

If you want to look at last year's results, 6 of the top 12 sack leaders (Alexander, Golden, Hunter, Avril, Wake, Walden) were selected after round 1. I know they're just mocks and mocks can't be trusted, but I've seen the top 4 available pass rushers rotate between the late first and mid 2nd rounds. There isn't a clear-cut, top guy for the early teens.

Maybe I'm in the minority but IF they don't trade down I'd rather take the best player available, in this case a top rb prospect that can plug in and replace Turbin right now and replace Gore next year (if not later this year), over a reach on a pass rusher. If they're set on pass rush, I wouldn't be upset if they traded down to take one around pick 20 or so.

Like I said, it all depends on what they do in FA. Looking at the past few years, there are usually more pass rushers available than there are decent running backs.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:28 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyEdge32 View Post
Hooray for spirited debate!

My argument for Cook was that he would be the best available prospect and reasons why he would warrant a mid 1st rd pick. I did note that Foster would be the preferable pick, should he still be available.

You make good points about rbs but keep in mind that Chicago has a great run blocking o-line. Miami's line is pretty solid as well. We all know about Pittsburgh and Dallas. The Rams were a disaster. Their line was much worse than Indy's, the qb play was..um... subpar, the play calling was terrible. It's hard to blame Gurley for the terrible season when his team was a complete dumpster fire.

If you want to look at last year's results, 6 of the top 12 sack leaders (Alexander, Golden, Hunter, Avril, Wake, Walden) were selected after round 1. I know they're just mocks and mocks can't be trusted, but I've seen the top 4 available pass rushers rotate between the late first and mid 2nd rounds. There isn't a clear-cut, top guy for the early teens.

Maybe I'm in the minority but IF they don't trade down I'd rather take the best player available, in this case a top rb prospect that can plug in and replace Turbin right now and replace Gore next year (if not later this year), over a reach on a pass rusher. If they're set on pass rush, I wouldn't be upset if they traded down to take one around pick 20 or so.

Like I said, it all depends on what they do in FA. Looking at the past few years, there are usually more pass rushers available than there are decent running backs.
I almost agree, but RB is not as glaring of a need as almost any position on defense. Yes, we have some defensive players capable of doing the job if we cannot find replacements, but we can get by without using our 1st round pick on a RB.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:14 PM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Someone said that a top flight RB is what you add when you are ALMOST a contender. It is one of the last pieces you add after you have a complete team.

The Colts team is not complete. It could be after 2017 if we sign the right free agents and have another draft class where we get 3 or 4 guys who contribute well (Kelly, Haeg and Ridgeway from 2016 with hope for Green and Clark) but we are not there yet.

4th round RB in 2017 to backup Gore and then, hopefully, 1st or 2nd round RB in 2018 backed up by the 2017 4th rounder.

Cheers,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
IndyEdge32 (02-15-2017), Wyatt (02-16-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 02:37 PM

If we draft a running back before round 4 I'll be pissed. You can find decent running backs late or as UDFA's. Elliot was the outlier not the norm. It's like this... Have a good o-line... Have a producing running back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeytonsForehead For This Useful Post:
IndyEdge32 (02-15-2017), Racehorse (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 04:09 PM

I wasn't saying Indy HAS TO draft Cook. I would rather see a trade down to accumulate more picks if Foster is gone. I just don't see any of these pass rush guys worth pick 14/15 unless one just blows up the combine or pro day.

Hypothetical: Bucs (or Lions) trade up to grab Cook before the Eagles pick. Indy gets pick 19 and 84 for 14. Reddick @ 19, Tim Williams @ 48, Raekwon Mcmillan @ 79, and Joe Mixon @ 84.

How mad does that make everyone?

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Va...equestTeam=ind

Last edited by IndyEdge32; 02-15-2017 at 05:02 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IndyEdge32 For This Useful Post:
Indiana V2 (02-16-2017), Puck (02-15-2017), YDFL Commish (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 05:10 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

I'm not necessarily sold on many of the edge rushers in this draft either. But if there isn't one worth drafting when we pick then I expect there will be a DLman or DB that is. The defense is hurting most at LB, but still needs help at every position.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
IndyEdge32 (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 05:29 PM

The upside to bringing in a RB, is that for an offense that has Andrew Luck and TY Hilton and an OL that (ostensibly) isn't a total trainwreck and has made other investments in WR (Moncrief/Dorsett) and TE (Allen/probably Doyle soon), not to mention paying Gore a fairly decent amount, for the Colts to only finish #8 in the NFL in points per game (as they did in 2016), I'd argue that's underachieving by a fair amount.

No, Rob Chudzinski isn't wonderful, but he's also not such a complete disastrous trainwreck of a buffoon that he's weighing the offense down by THAT much.

Dalvin Cook, I think, would add enough star power to the offense that we'd quickly rise to the absolute top of the NFL. Making defenses that honest where they'd have to be aware of a guy that's that good at running the ball AND catching the ball out of the backfield would put the offense over the top, I'd imagine (barring any disastrous setbacks with the maturation of the OL).

That said, with the defense literally completely devoid of talent, the roster as it currently stands, I think Dalvin Cook would be too much of a luxury pick. Dorsett was a luxury pick that we couldn't afford, but I also don't think he was as surefire as Dalvin Cook would be. The knock on Dorsett was that he had great speed but wasn't a refined WR on anything besides go-routes and that he actually wasn't a weapon on Special Teams. Go figure, that's what he's proven to be. Dalvin Cook, on the other hand, I do believe is a can't-miss prospect that would really catapult this offense. I just also happen to believe that this defense is absolutely starving for defensive talent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coltsalr For This Useful Post:
Indiana V2 (02-16-2017), IndyEdge32 (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 07:44 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyEdge32 View Post
I wasn't saying Indy HAS TO draft Cook. I would rather see a trade down to accumulate more picks if Foster is gone. I just don't see any of these pass rush guys worth pick 14/15 unless one just blows up the combine or pro day.

Hypothetical: Bucs (or Lions) trade up to grab Cook before the Eagles pick. Indy gets pick 19 and 84 for 14. Reddick @ 19, Tim Williams @ 48, Raekwon Mcmillan @ 79, and Joe Mixon @ 84.

How mad does that make everyone?

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Va...equestTeam=ind
That would be a pretty good haul IMO.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
The upside to bringing in a RB, is that for an offense that has Andrew Luck and TY Hilton and an OL that (ostensibly) isn't a total trainwreck and has made other investments in WR (Moncrief/Dorsett) and TE (Allen/probably Doyle soon), not to mention paying Gore a fairly decent amount, for the Colts to only finish #8 in the NFL in points per game (as they did in 2016), I'd argue that's underachieving by a fair amount.

No, Rob Chudzinski isn't wonderful, but he's also not such a complete disastrous trainwreck of a buffoon that he's weighing the offense down by THAT much.

Dalvin Cook, I think, would add enough star power to the offense that we'd quickly rise to the absolute top of the NFL. Making defenses that honest where they'd have to be aware of a guy that's that good at running the ball AND catching the ball out of the backfield would put the offense over the top, I'd imagine (barring any disastrous setbacks with the maturation of the OL).

That said, with the defense literally completely devoid of talent, the roster as it currently stands, I think Dalvin Cook would be too much of a luxury pick. Dorsett was a luxury pick that we couldn't afford, but I also don't think he was as surefire as Dalvin Cook would be. The knock on Dorsett was that he had great speed but wasn't a refined WR on anything besides go-routes and that he actually wasn't a weapon on Special Teams. Go figure, that's what he's proven to be. Dalvin Cook, on the other hand, I do believe is a can't-miss prospect that would really catapult this offense. I just also happen to believe that this defense is absolutely starving for defensive talent.

If I am not mistaken. Cook turns the ball over a lot
Old 02-16-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana V2 View Post
Dalvin Cook
stop.
The Following User Says Thank You to natagu23 For This Useful Post:
FatDT (02-16-2017)