ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-04-2022, 11:37 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

o

To me, Wentz' inconsistencies as the Colts' quarterback is emblematic of the team's inconsistencies overall ...... they both show signs of eliteness at times (see the Colts' win over the Patriots, and their blowout of the Bills), yet they also show signs of being unable to get the job done (see the Colts' blown leads against the Ravens, the Titans, and the Buccaneers.)

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-04-2022), Racehorse (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 11:42 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Wentz may not be the problem but he sure as hell isn't the solution. I will temper this by saying our WR suck as WRs. Great as blockers though.

Last edited by Oldcolt; 01-04-2022 at 11:45 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Lov2fish (01-04-2022), Spike (03-02-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 12:38 PM

Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray007 View Post
Don’t get me wrong. He wasn’t grear. I get it. I have eyes.

But, going in, we all knew the deal with the guy. Give him solid pass blocking and a clean pocket with time to throw, and he’s gonna be more than solid. But, if you let opposing defenses ratchet up the pressure, he’s gonna look like Tom Brady trying to figure things out versus the Giants in Super Bowl 57.

The numbers should be easy to understand. According to PFF, Wentz attempted 27 passes. On 25 of those, the Raiders got pressure. That’s far too many.

A lot of the problems can be attributed to Covid. Nelson, Glowinski and Smith were all dealing with the disease. Eric Fisher was out with injuries, and Ryan Kelly was dealing with something you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemy. The impact on play was obvious.

Not only did Wentz not have time to throw, but Receivers didn’t have time to run their routes and gain separation. While he wasn’t shut down, Jonathan Taylor didn’t have the kind of holes we’ve seen all season, and don’t get me started on the shoestring tackles. There were a season’s worth in one game. It makes me believe that, on a lot of plays, the blocking was just a little off

But, worst of all were the penalties. Illegal proceedure on Smith, holding on Smith, holding on Pryor, holding on Kelly. At least two of them aborted promising drives, and one shoved us back out of FG range.

And, finally, I think that we don’t give Wentz anywhere enough credit for the magic he works with his legs. He can be a magician at getting away from pressure; and, yesterday, he avoided 3 or 4 sacks.
He was absolutely the problem against the Raiders, between his horrible decision making and his completely inability to throw a pass that is like accurate on a high school level.

The play where he had a chance to run 10-20 yards, but instead throws a nearly horizontal incomplete pass at the last moment (one that even if completed whoever he was targeting, Hines I think, would have been tackled immediately) was just indicative of what a terrible, terrible mind he has for a QB. It was probably the worst decision you could make, but he was like "fuck it, that's how I roll." That was also on a play where, like you said, he was great at avoiding a sack. So kudos for him not getting sacked I guess. But that ability gets hampered when all you can do with it is get an incomplete pass with your horrible decisions instead of really making the defense pay for it.

And the decisions just never got better. He constantly misses open receivers, or throws the ball as he's hit (its miraculous he hasn't had more turnovers) or underthrows the ball or tries to pass into triple coverage when there's easier passes to be made.

Yes he gets pressured, and that doesn't help. But he usually compounds his problems with his bad decision making.

Last edited by nate505; 01-04-2022 at 12:46 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nate505 For This Useful Post:
apballin (03-03-2022), Spike (03-02-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 02:27 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,676 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate505 View Post
He was absolutely the problem against the Raiders, between his horrible decision making and his completely inability to throw a pass that is like accurate on a high school level.

The play where he had a chance to run 10-20 yards, but instead throws a nearly horizontal incomplete pass at the last moment (one that even if completed whoever he was targeting, Hines I think, would have been tackled immediately) was just indicative of what a terrible, terrible mind he has for a QB. It was probably the worst decision you could make, but he was like "fuck it, that's how I roll." That was also on a play where, like you said, he was great at avoiding a sack. So kudos for him not getting sacked I guess. But that ability gets hampered when all you can do with it is get an incomplete pass with your horrible decisions instead of really making the defense pay for it.

And the decisions just never got better. He constantly misses open receivers, or throws the ball as he's hit (its miraculous he hasn't had more turnovers) or underthrows the ball or tries to pass into triple coverage when there's easier passes to be made.

Yes he gets pressured, and that doesn't help. But he usually compounds his problems with his bad decision making.
Now imagine him on a less talented team. The Eagles found that out.

There are QB 's out there producing with a lot less than Wentz has. And bad wide receivers don't make him overthrow a leaping Mo Allie Cox by three yards. If there were toins of drops hitting WR's in the hands or numbers, sure I would say its a problem. But he isn't even connecting with the WR half the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Spike (03-02-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 04:26 PM

Thanked 4,399 Times in 2,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTails View Post
I wish they would use JT out of the backfield more. No one covers him.

How can he only have 1 catch in the last 2 games with all the QB pressure they allowed.

I really don't think this team knows how to run a screen pass with accurate timing.
I was saying the same thing to a coworker just at lunch today. He should be a target on at least five passes per game.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:41 PM

My thing is that I may end up agreeing with both sides on this argument... couple of factors at play here:

1.) I'm still biased by the frustration of last year seeing looks that Phillip saw but not having the physical tools to get it there anymore.

2.) as noted, would like to see improvement in the WR corps... plus reps, which I think may rectify the problem with hitting WR's in stride (may partially be a factor of revolving door of healthy receivers).

3.) I've already decided to hold my final judgement on Wentz until he gets a full offseason/preseason with this team and Coach... I figure we'll all know for sure by mid-season next year.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Drewtone For This Useful Post:
BCN#1 (03-04-2022), CletusPyle (01-04-2022), dwilli57 (01-05-2022), Lov2fish (01-04-2022), Racehorse (01-04-2022), Spike (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 10:42 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Wentz wasn’t the only problem. Just the biggest
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
apballin (03-03-2022), Dewey 5 (01-04-2022), JAFF (01-05-2022), Racehorse (01-05-2022), rm1369 (01-05-2022), Spike (03-02-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
All 3 phases played be!ow par for sure. But Wentz was the worst I've seen a horseshoe QB since Curtis Painter.
Brissett was pretty terrible down the stretch in 2019. I'd put that at least on par (if not worse) than Wentz the last few weeks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coltsalr For This Useful Post:
bigalbert (01-05-2022), Racehorse (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 01:31 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

o

I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with this claim, I'm just putting out this FOX reporter's assertion that I just came across ......

Carson Wentz's Days with Colts are Numbered, so Search for Upgrade is On

(By Armando Salguero)

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/carso...colts-numbered

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (03-02-2022), Spike (03-02-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 06:45 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,676 Times in 2,055 Posts

People concentrate on the last two games. He was inconsistent all year. He was awful in the Titans and jags games.

That last interception in the titans game- three receivers open and he threw to Pittman in triple coverage. There was no pressure.

The guy folds under pressure. Panics and plays hero ball. Has awful mechanics and doesn’t scan the field for the open man. He has periods of great play followed by periods of awful play. His analytics place him in the 20-25 range of starting QBs. He was 28th in accuracy.

He just isn’t a good QB. At best he is inconsistent.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
apballin (03-03-2022), Dewey 5 (03-03-2022), IndyNorm (03-06-2022), omahacolt (03-03-2022), Racehorse (03-03-2022), rm1369 (03-03-2022)