ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-06-2021, 11:53 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

I think part of the problem is most teams are set up to defend the pass, not a run centered team like the Titans or Colts. But I think our pass defense is a potential weakness bc we lack a consistent pass rush. We are slow to the QB. That might change if Turay picks it up in the playoffs. A lot riding on JT and Turay this playoff season. And of course, Rivers not making mistakes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-06-2021), Colts And Orioles (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 12:15 PM

I think Rivers' future rides on this game. If he plays well and leads the Colts to victory, he could probably get another contract from the Colts. If he doesn't, the Colts will look elsewhere.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:32 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post

I think that part of the problem is that most teams are set up to defend the pass, not a run-centered team like the Titans or the Colts. But I think that our pass-defense is a potential weakness, because we lack a consistent pass-rush. We are slow to the QB. That might change if Turay picks it up in the playoffs. A lot is riding on Jonathan Taylor and Turay this playoff season ...... and of course, Rivers not making mistakes.

o

Big component ...... VERY BIG component.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 01-06-2021, 12:44 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

We can beat anybody if we play thru 4 quarters, the offensive line plays up to its potential as does our defense for a full game. We really haven't done that this year yet so I am not confident. On the other hand this is the first time in a long time I have felt that the Colts could win without playing over their head. If they just do what they are capable of we could take this. For years I have wanted a team that could run the football and stop the run. Now that the Colts can do that I think they can make a deep run.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 12:44 PM
Historian

o

This is going to sound weird, but I think that if Rivers winds up taking 3 or 4 sacks in the game against the Bills, that may not necessarily be a bad thing ...... because perhaps that will be a sign that he won't be forcing the ball into coverage when he doesn't have an open receiver, and making a bad situation (a sack) worse (an INT.)

Ideally, we would like Rivers to take not more than 1 sack in the entire game, not throw any INT's, and have a high completion percentage on 3rd downs ...... but very rarely in the highly-competitive playoffs do you get everything that you want.

Balancing being aggressive enough to be effective and at the same time consciously going out of your way not to make big mistakes is the hardest thing in the world for an NFL quarterback to do ...... but that's life in the post-season, and that is often what separates great/very good quarterbacks from average ones. Welcome back to the big-time with your new team, Mr. Rivers. The ball is in your court.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 01-06-2021, 12:52 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post

We can beat anybody if we play through 4 quarters if the offensive line plays up to its potential (as does our defense) for a full game. We really haven't done that this year yet, so I am not confident. On the other hand, this is the first time in a long time that I have felt that the Colts could win without playing over their head. If they just do what they are capable of, we could take this. For years, I have wanted a team that could run the football and stop the run. Now that the Colts can do that, I think that they can make a deep run.

o

I agree with this, completely. Even in their 2 best games of the season (against the Packers and against the Titans), the Colts did not play well through-and-through for the entire game.

The good news is that in spite of this glaring flaw, the Colts still found a way to win 11 out of 16 games ...... so the talent/potential is obviously there. They are not over-matched, like the Titans are. They just need to find a way to play well for at least 75-80% of the game, and not just 50-60% of it.

o

Old 01-06-2021, 01:34 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

I think that both of these teams are teams that most would like to avoid in the playoffs if they could ...... the 13-3 Bills with Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs a little more so than the 11-5 Colts, who hold 2 impressive wins this season against the Packers and the Titans.

In the AFC, I think that if teams could choose an opponent to play against, they would probably opt for the Titans more than anyone else. After that, I think that their 2nd choice would be the Browns. Their 3rd choice would probably be the Steelers, who have shown chinks in their armor after their 11-0 start to the season.

Lamar Jackson and the Ravens are kind of scary because of Jackson. And the Chiefs ....... well, they are the Chiefs.

o
o

How Josh Allen Went from Mediocrity to NFL MVP Contender

(By Kevin Van Valkenburg)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-mvp-contender

o

Old 01-06-2021, 05:13 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Put the pressure on them early just like we did bs Steelers except this time......

Finish the fuckin job, pound the fuckin run until they stop it, I don’t care what “run blitz” look the defense gives you
Old 01-07-2021, 11:17 AM

Thanked 1,667 Times in 797 Posts

I'd say its pretty clear what we need to do to win.
On offense: we gotta pound it. Blow them off the line. Taylor needs to bang all the holes. We need to use tight ends, deep, over and over, and somebody has to go all the way.
On defense: we gotta penetrate. Get Allen from behind. Get plenty of ball pressure, but not too much, just right.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:23 AM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I'd say its pretty clear what we need to do to win.
On offense: we gotta pound it. Blow them off the line. Taylor needs to bang all the holes. We need to use tight ends, deep, over and over, and somebody has to go all the way.
On defense: we gotta penetrate. Get Allen from behind. Get plenty of ball pressure, but not too much, just right.
Sounds like a plan for a good fuckin
The Following User Says Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-07-2021)