ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-13-2018, 01:36 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I can't see Reich pushing hard for Burton, because he was a role player, who really offers nothing special.

Reich knows that.

It's also why I don't expect the Colts to go after Jordan Matthews.
He makes sense of he's paid like a mid tier FA/borderline starter. I think he and John Brown would be interesting additions to the receiving corps.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I can't see Reich pushing hard for Burton, because he was a role player, who really offers nothing special.

Reich knows that.

It's also why I don't expect the Colts to go after Jordan Matthews.
Certainly not pushing hard for him to the point of $8m/year.

If a stupid team (like the Bears) wants to overpay marginal talent, there's obviously nothing you can do about that.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
He won't be running for his life, because the ball will be coming out of his hand much quicker than in the past.
It better !!!
Old 03-13-2018, 02:17 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
He won't be running for his life, because the ball will be coming out of his hand much quicker than in the past.
I think there's a lot more to it than that. Yeah in Chud's offense the QB had to hold the ball too long. But Vujnovich, Haeg, Clark, and Good are all backups. They're not good enough. I'd be ok with one of them (not Vujnovich) starting if we got clear upgrades at the other two spots. But outside of Pugh (if his back is actually healed) I'm not convinced those players exist in FA or where we're likely to pick in the draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 02:47 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
I think there's a lot more to it than that. Yeah in Chud's offense the QB had to hold the ball too long. But Vujnovich, Haeg, Clark, and Good are all backups. They're not good enough. I'd be ok with one of them (not Vujnovich) starting if we got clear upgrades at the other two spots. But outside of Pugh (if his back is actually healed) I'm not convinced those players exist in FA or where we're likely to pick in the draft.
It may have been the interview with Cowherd, but I remember Ballard listing interior OL as one of the best positions in the draft. Maybe he has his eye on 1-2 guys there.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana V2 View Post
So what is the purpose of all this cap space?
Good question, so they can roll it into next year and not over spend then?? If your not willing to over pay to protect your #1 asset, then I don’t know what your willing to spend it on.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
It may have been the interview with Cowherd, but I remember Ballard listing interior OL as one of the best positions in the draft. Maybe he has his eye on 1-2 guys there.
With the third pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the Indianapolis Colts select Guard Quenton Nelson from Notre Dame ...

Meanwhile the pain in the right shoulder of Andrew Luck subsides a bit ...
Old 03-13-2018, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Remember all of the "Do something Grigs" posts a couple years ago? Where are they now?
Old 03-13-2018, 03:15 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
Good question, so they can roll it into next year and not over spend then?? If your not willing to over pay to protect your #1 asset, then I don’t know what your willing to spend it on.
First, it's not even day one of free agency. These reported deals are just rumors right now. As we all (thankfully) learned, headlines mean nothing until they sign the contract. Second, Andrew Norwell was the best but not the only option out there. There are still starting caliber OL out there and the Colts could spread the money they would've spent on Norwell out to two or three guys who might solidify the line better than one big contract. For example, Justin Pugh and Ryan Jensen could probably be signed for a similar amount of money. Third, if the Colts have a large amount to roll over, it might not be a bad idea to keep rolling it over until such time as they have their own guys worthy of retaining. That was a big struggle for the 00s Colts, and it could be lessened by rollover cap space when the time comes.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
With the third pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the Indianapolis Colts select Guard Quenton Nelson from Notre Dame ...

Meanwhile the pain in the right shoulder of Andrew Luck subsides a bit ...
A UDFA guard is about to get a huge contact and you want to spend the #3 overall pick on a guard? The positional value isn't there. That pick has to be Chubb.