ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-07-2017, 07:34 PM

Thanked 1,889 Times in 921 Posts

Draft lots of fatties and linebackers.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:56 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
if a 1st round olineman falls to the 2nd or 3rd round, then they were never a 1st round olineman
Sorry, I suppose I misspoke.

Take Le'Raven Clark. His physical abilities were 1st round OT worthy; his pro day and combine stats were right in line with those of Ronnie Stanley, Jack Conklin or Laremy Tunsil all of whom were picked within the first 13 spots of the 2016 draft.

However, he had poor technique due to the "blur" offensive system they run at Texas Tech and was considered to need a year or two of work before he could perform at the same level that his physical abilities indicated he should be at.

There were a lot of pre-draft projections that were predicting that Clark would be drafted at the bottom of the 1st round or at the top of the 2nd round. NFL.com predicted 1st or 2nd round. CBSportsline predicted 1st round. Walter Football predicted 1st or 2nd round.

Was he a 1st round talent that fell? Or, in your world, a 3rd round talent because that is where he was picked?

If another Le'Raven Clark is available with our 2nd round pick (Ramcyzk is my guess of someone who could slide), I think that Ballard would have to think hard about selecting him. It is obvious that Philbin knows what he is doing in bringing young O-Linemen along.

Cheers,
Old 02-08-2017, 09:03 AM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Sorry, I suppose I misspoke.

Take Le'Raven Clark. His physical abilities were 1st round OT worthy; his pro day and combine stats were right in line with those of Ronnie Stanley, Jack Conklin or Laremy Tunsil all of whom were picked within the first 13 spots of the 2016 draft.

However, he had poor technique due to the "blur" offensive system they run at Texas Tech and was considered to need a year or two of work before he could perform at the same level that his physical abilities indicated he should be at.

There were a lot of pre-draft projections that were predicting that Clark would be drafted at the bottom of the 1st round or at the top of the 2nd round. NFL.com predicted 1st or 2nd round. CBSportsline predicted 1st round. Walter Football predicted 1st or 2nd round.

Was he a 1st round talent that fell? Or, in your world, a 3rd round talent because that is where he was picked?

If another Le'Raven Clark is available with our 2nd round pick (Ramcyzk is my guess of someone who could slide), I think that Ballard would have to think hard about selecting him. It is obvious that Philbin knows what he is doing in bringing young O-Linemen along.

Cheers,
Easy

Draft websites and "experts" claim thing to be true when they aren't. Every year "1st round" guys drop way out of the 1st round. Medicals and off field are the reasons 1st round guys drop out.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:21 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

I read a mock that had us taking christian mccaffrey in the second. Not sure if he would be there, but if he was, would you take him with our #2?

I know it would depend on who else is available, but in general would you take him?
Old 02-08-2017, 12:36 PM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
I read a mock that had us taking christian mccaffrey in the second. Not sure if he would be there, but if he was, would you take him with our #2?

I know it would depend on who else is available, but in general would you take him?
The ONLY way that I would be okay with taking an offensive specialty player higher than the 4th round is if we had already though: re-signing our own free agents, free agency and the 1st round of the draft, gotten:

2x OLB (one could be Walden but the other needs to be pure rush)
At least 1x ILB
At least one more body in the front 7 (D-Line, LB, don't care)
At least 1x secondary body (Butler could be that guy)

So, in my scenario, if we re-sign Walden and Butler and have added an additional 3x guys to the front seven that are new starters and not depth, then I would be okay with adding an offensive specialty player earlier than the 4th round.

And McCaffery would be a solid choice. I do worry about this one part of his NFL.com Draft Profile:
Quote:
Can shake tacklers, but lacks a twitchy burst to accelerate away after the cut. Average burst may not be enough to race past NFL speed on second level.
The college ranks are FULL of guys who have the athleticism to look good against 90% of the other college players out there.

However, the NFL is full of those other 10% of guys from the college ranks and if you do not measure up athletically.....

I am not saying that McCaffery will not make it but I hate spending a 2nd round pick on a RB who does not have elite athleticism. We can find those guys with 4th round picks.

Cheers,
Old 02-08-2017, 12:38 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:

Fuck no you don't take him
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
njcoltfan (02-08-2017), Racehorse (02-08-2017), VeveJones007 (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 12:50 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Fuck no you don't take him
that's what I assumed most replies would be, just checking.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:30 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:

Just say no to white RBs.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (02-09-2017)