ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 10-05-2018, 11:04 AM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
Two guys land on top of Luck with their full body weight and it’s not roughing the passer?
He also took at least one blow to the head, Refs sucked.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:09 AM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Good info and insight as always. Thank you. I must admit I was pretty disappointed with the showing last night, as I genuinely expected them to perform above expectations. Still, I remind myself that most of the problems centered upon the young players, and hopefully they'll get better as the season wears on and the pro coaching takes root. A couple questions:

Did Castonzo play at all yesterday?

Any thoughts on Ebron? I know the obvious answer is that he drops too many passes, but I was a bit surprised to hear than his 105 yards last night was a career high. To my untrained eye he seems like he could be dominant, and I really think he's going to be a good pickup for us even with the drops.
Ebron picked up as the game went along, and ostensibly played pretty well. And while I think DET fans were ridiculously hard on him, there's still something about his game that bothers me. I haven't quite figured it out. I get the impression -- making clear this is just an IMPRESSION and I don't know the on-field reality or what's really going through his head -- that he just doesn't sell out on plays. There have been a few balls he could have given himself a chance to catch that he didn't, a few routes he could have run through, a few times he could have bodied a DB and didn't.

And right when I'm getting frustrated, he makes a great grab or bodies a DB.

So I can't figure it out. He looked better between the 20s last night than he has previously, but for now, I'd say: great RZ weapon, but not appreciably better than Swoope between the 20s.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:03 PM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Some slightly slower thoughts on the game than what Racehorse gave us!

1. From the game thread, Luck in his last 2 games is 78 for 121 (64.4%), 828 yards, 7 TD, 2 INT for a QBR of 96.71. ESPN is also recording that in those two games, Colts receivers dropped 11 passes. 89 for 121 73.5% completion rate.
I have zero worries about Luck going forward; he is back.

2. Granted, I don't think the Pats defense is all that (espectially when compared to some of the D-Lines we have played recently) but for a patchwork O-Line to hold any NFL defense to only 1 sack is pretty impressive. They sucked on the first series at at times in the 1st half but gave Luck time to eat ham sandwiches in the pocket during the 2nd half. Braden Smith showed he deserves to be on an NFL field and Clark has just impressed me. Well done, Gentlemen.

3. Grant and Rogers have been give AMPLE opportunity to step up and show that they are a WR2 in the league and neither have done so. Huge opportunity last night to make a statement and both wimpered out. I agree that at least one top 4 round draft pick next year has to be WR and I would like to see some free agency choices brought in as well. We have T.Y. Hilton and then a bunch of WR3s and WR4s on the roster.

4. Like the rookie RBs. They both have their role and will get better has AC comes back and our RT position settles in.

5. Well, for who we had on the field, I am not horrified by our defense. Missing two top CBs, misisng our best LB, having our 2nd best LB knocked out early. Having our best interior pass rushers injured in Hunt and Autry. Yeah, in the end getting 38 points scored on you is not a good showing but they honestly played well enough for the Colts to win the game if the offense had been able to produce.

6. That said, we need more talent on defense. I hope that the free agent market can deliver a few studs next year along with a 1st round pick to infuse more talent.

7. I thought the gameplan on both sides was solid to good. Offense was innovative and was KILLED by dropped balls. Defense was a bit soft early (I like the muddle huddle rush 2 drop 5 approach) but really played well for most of the 2nd half.

8. Lost the first half 24 - 3. Tied the second half 14 - 14. Progression; I will take that.

Long rest and hopefully get all our walking wounded. I think we will see a much better team in the second half of the season.

Walk Worthy,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-05-2018), Spike (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 12:22 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
Ebron picked up as the game went along, and ostensibly played pretty well. And while I think DET fans were ridiculously hard on him, there's still something about his game that bothers me. I haven't quite figured it out. I get the impression -- making clear this is just an IMPRESSION and I don't know the on-field reality or what's really going through his head -- that he just doesn't sell out on plays. There have been a few balls he could have given himself a chance to catch that he didn't, a few routes he could have run through, a few times he could have bodied a DB and didn't.

And right when I'm getting frustrated, he makes a great grab or bodies a DB.

So I can't figure it out. He looked better between the 20s last night than he has previously, but for now, I'd say: great RZ weapon, but not appreciably better than Swoope between the 20s.
I think Ebron is our best weapon with Hilton out. I think his drops are blown a little out of proportion. And he fights the negativity that cling to him from Detroit. How many times did the announcers talk about it. Edelman dropped a huge pass, their WRs dropped passes, Gronk fumbles, our WRs dropped and fumbled. Ebron is not the problem imo, the WRs need to pick it up. They are the problem.

He made some great grabs. Was overthrown a couple times. He had that first drop for a first down he never would have gotten. But after that I thought he looked great. He has been scoring touchdowns for us and has been healthy. LBs can’t stay with him and he goes over the top of corners, he has been getting open consistently.

So far he has been doing well for us and his contribution is much more than any of our other receiving threats. Don’t know what the problem is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I think Ebron is our best weapon with Hilton out. I think his drops are blown a little out of proportion. And he fights the negativity that cling to him from Detroit. How many times did the announcers talk about it. Edelman dropped a huge pass, their WRs dropped passes, Gronk fumbles, our WRs dropped and fumbled. Ebron is not the problem imo, the WRs need to pick it up. They are the problem.

He made some great grabs. Was overthrown a couple times. He had that first drop for a first down he never would have gotten. But after that I thought he looked great. He has been scoring touchdowns for us and has been healthy. LBs can’t stay with him and he goes over the top of corners, he has been getting open consistently.

So far he has been doing well for us and his contribution is much more than any of our other receiving threats. Don’t know what the problem is.
I mostly agree with you, though I do get what GBB is saying. Sometimes, particularly with poorly thrown balls, Ebron gives you the impression he isn’t going all out. He won’t leap or dive for some balls, perhaps because he views them as impossible to catch, but I’m so used to other players make an effort in such circumstances - even if hopeless - that it kind of sticks out.

That being said, it does feel to me like the guy could be a special player. Something about him – maybe it’s the combo of his size, speed and physicality – just stands out, moreso than Swoope or even Doyle. I won’t kid myself and say he’ll ever have Doyle’s reliable hands, but I'm pretty optimistic he’ll become an elite receiving tight end for the Colts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
GoBigBlue88 (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 01:05 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I won’t kid myself and say he’ll ever have Doyle’s reliable hands, but I'm pretty optimistic he’ll become an elite receiving tight end for the Colts.
Minus the fumbles at critical moments of the game.

Different kind of "hands" though I guess.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:27 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Some slightly slower thoughts on the game than what Racehorse gave us!

1. From the game thread, Luck in his last 2 games is 78 for 121 (64.4%), 828 yards, 7 TD, 2 INT for a QBR of 96.71. ESPN is also recording that in those two games, Colts receivers dropped 11 passes. 89 for 121 73.5% completion rate.
I have zero worries about Luck going forward; he is back.

2. Granted, I don't think the Pats defense is all that (espectially when compared to some of the D-Lines we have played recently) but for a patchwork O-Line to hold any NFL defense to only 1 sack is pretty impressive. They sucked on the first series at at times in the 1st half but gave Luck time to eat ham sandwiches in the pocket during the 2nd half. Braden Smith showed he deserves to be on an NFL field and Clark has just impressed me. Well done, Gentlemen.

3. Grant and Rogers have been give AMPLE opportunity to step up and show that they are a WR2 in the league and neither have done so. Huge opportunity last night to make a statement and both wimpered out. I agree that at least one top 4 round draft pick next year has to be WR and I would like to see some free agency choices brought in as well. We have T.Y. Hilton and then a bunch of WR3s and WR4s on the roster.

4. Like the rookie RBs. They both have their role and will get better has AC comes back and our RT position settles in.

5. Well, for who we had on the field, I am not horrified by our defense. Missing two top CBs, misisng our best LB, having our 2nd best LB knocked out early. Having our best interior pass rushers injured in Hunt and Autry. Yeah, in the end getting 38 points scored on you is not a good showing but they honestly played well enough for the Colts to win the game if the offense had been able to produce.

6. That said, we need more talent on defense. I hope that the free agent market can deliver a few studs next year along with a 1st round pick to infuse more talent.

7. I thought the gameplan on both sides was solid to good. Offense was innovative and was KILLED by dropped balls. Defense was a bit soft early (I like the muddle huddle rush 2 drop 5 approach) but really played well for most of the 2nd half.

8. Lost the first half 24 - 3. Tied the second half 14 - 14. Progression; I will take that.

Long rest and hopefully get all our walking wounded. I think we will see a much better team in the second half of the season.

Walk Worthy,
1) Luck is fine. Good news.

2) Clark got flat out beat by Trey Flowers on that sack, but the OL held their own otherwise.

3) Not many good options on the FA market. There's some names, but the only player that excites me as anything more than a 1 year stopgap is Golden Tate. There are a few interesting second tier second chance guys like Kelvin Benjamin, Kevin White, and Brandon LaFell, but those aren't guys you count on to be a WR2.

4) Hines is a playmaker who needs to see the field often but likely can't handle a full workload. Wilkins is a decent compliment, but I think Mack could be a better one if he can ever get back on the field.

5) No Darius Leonard plus the offense putting the defense in bad positions several times throughout the game, so it's no surprise they gave up 38 points. Someone really needs to drill into Luck's head the importance of ball security. That will make him a better QB and lead to the team winning more.

6) Preach. The free agent market seems to be loaded on defense next year, especially for DL, but I'd like to see at least 2 of the likely 3 top 50 picks the Colts will have go to the defensive side of the ball, if not all 3.

8) Won second half 21-14, though I don't like that the drive before the last one ate so much time. If there's one thing this offense seems to lack at this point, it's the ability to gain chunk yardage when needed.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:55 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

The Colts made halftime adjustments that worked. I cannot believe I can write that sentence in complete truthfulness.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Indystu2 (10-08-2018), JAFF (10-05-2018), Racehorse (10-05-2018), sherck (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Minus the fumbles at critical moments of the game.

Different kind of "hands" though I guess.
A Doyle hater? Well, technically I was talking about catching the ball, which is something different from carrying the ball carefully so as to minimize fumbles – so yes, the “hands” you are referring to are different (I’m not sure you’d even call that “hands” to be honest).

It’s a little off the subject I suppose, but I am interested in the idea that Doyle has a ongoing fumbling problem. Off the top of my head I recall the fumble earlier this season against the Bengals, but perhaps I've blocked out the others. Please provide more info on this.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:07 PM

Idk about ball security but I’ve felt for some time Doyle takes way to many licks.

I don’t know if it’s his lack of athleticism or if he just likes playing that way but I’m honestly surprised he doesn’t have more fumbles/injuries.