ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-27-2018, 11:27 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,608 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I agree, and this may cause some problems in the future when they need to resign people. However, if a possible starting LT is there I think I pull the trigger if all things being equal. They are so hard to find, I would use the pick. Of course, this depends how the board falls and who is there. I usually say BPA is the best step forward.

Depends how these OT's are ranked coming out. I suspect all the d-line coming out will be ranked higher.
If you've got an elite pass rush threat at DE or 3-tech and an elite LT on the board at the pick, take the pass rusher. This team has practically nothing invested in its DL and quite a bit invested in its OL. This team needs at least one elite pass rusher, probably more like two.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Arent you a draft for need guy? Our NEEDs are OT's the Dline is light years ahead of our OT's... In fact right now on a NEED basis we need CB's and WR's as well as a REAL RB before we NEED anyone on the Dline.

Here is how I would rank our needs at this point in order of importance

1....2 OT's
2....2 CB's
3....a legit #2 WR
4....3 tech
5.... DE
6.... RB
We will not know until next season but I suspect Deon Cain could be that coveted #2 or at least #3.
The Following User Says Thank You to indycolts2 For This Useful Post:
Puck (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
It does not matter to me where; but the Colts need to find another starting calibre OT for 2019 better than the likes of Good, Clark and Haeg.

I like those guys as depth but all are, at best, average NFL starters.

If that guy can be found in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, then great. Draft a DE or 3-tech in the 1st, a WR in the first 4 rounds, the OT and then defense all the rest of the way.

I am not demanded an OT in the first....but we need to add another starting quality one next year and free agency at OT is thin, thin, thin.

Top 15 OT UFAs for 2019 by 2018 salary:
32 year old Jared Veldheer
30 year old Bobby Massie
27 year old Seantrel Henderson
25 year old Erik Flowers
33 year old Ty Nsekhe
30 year old Ben Ijalana
26 year old Cameron Fleming
27 year old Cedric Ogbuehi
27 year old Ja'Wuan James
28 year old Brent Qvale
28 year old Jordan Mills
29 year old Byron Bell
26 year old Donovan Smith
28 year old LaAdrian Waddle

The ONLY guy that I am even mildly interested from the entire OT free agent class is Miami's Ja'Wuan james who is coming off his rookie contract (5th year as a former 1st round pick) but has only played in 50 of a possible 67 games in his career. He has started every game he has played in and played well but he has only played a full season twice in four years.

Miami currently has $21m of free cap space for 2019 which is fairly tight this time of year and while they have some high profile free agents, many are old (DE Cameron Wake 37 years old, DE William Hayes 33 years old, RB Frank Gore 35 years old, LT Sam Young 32 years old).

I cannot image that James will not be a pretty high priority to them and with the weather, lifestyle and state tax free conditions, he might be willing to give a hometown discount.

Other than James, no one else is better than Clark/Good/Haeg and we need better than them, IMO.

Walk Worthy,
HMMM.....that Ijalana guy us intriguing...lmao
Old 09-27-2018, 03:54 PM

Thanked 4,373 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indycolts2 View Post
HMMM.....that Ijalana guy us intriguing...lmao
Ben once said, "now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time." Of course, it was not THAT Ben
Old 09-27-2018, 08:40 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,610 Times in 2,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
If you've got an elite pass rush threat at DE or 3-tech and an elite LT on the board at the pick, take the pass rusher. This team has practically nothing invested in its DL and quite a bit invested in its OL. This team needs at least one elite pass rusher, probably more like two.
A few years ago, I would probably say the same thing, but good oline play is a diminishing quantity in the league. Notice all the new rules to protect QBs, bc the lines can't do it. Good LT's are now harder to find than good pass rushers.

Also this team is rushing by committee now and we have quite a few picks, and FA, invested in the dline now. Turay, Bashem, Lewis, Stewart, Hunt, Woods, Sheard. All things being equal, I lean towards the LT. LT is the only position I would take over a pass rusher. Things are never equal though, and it would come down to the players available.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
sherck (09-28-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 09:15 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

pretty soon they will just outlaw sacks so edge rushers will be irrelevant.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (09-28-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 10:08 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,608 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
A few years ago, I would probably say the same thing, but good oline play is a diminishing quantity in the league. Notice all the new rules to protect QBs, bc the lines can't do it. Good LT's are now harder to find than good pass rushers.

Also this team is rushing by committee now and we have quite a few picks, and FA, invested in the dline now. Turay, Bashem, Lewis, Stewart, Hunt, Woods, Sheard. All things being equal, I lean towards the LT. LT is the only position I would take over a pass rusher. Things are never equal though, and it would come down to the players available.
In a vacuum, maybe (I prefer a stronger defense, so I'd probably still take the pass rusher). For this team, considering how much it has already invested in OL, and how little it has in DL, there's no question that the pass rusher is the better option IMO.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:35 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,610 Times in 2,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
In a vacuum, maybe (I prefer a stronger defense, so I'd probably still take the pass rusher). For this team, considering how much it has already invested in OL, and how little it has in DL, there's no question that the pass rusher is the better option IMO.
We are basically talking two of the top three most important positions on the team imo. So it probably comes down to the player and impact. Pass rusher will likely have more impact, but if you have a franchise QB you have to invest in that blindside protector. Anyway, so far from what I am seeing the OTs are not ranking in top ten, so I would like go dline. But see where things are in six months.

To me top ten LT are like unicorns now, you grab them if you can. But I might live with AC and grab that defender if I can.