ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-24-2020, 11:35 AM

Thanked 1,240 Times in 695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Thanks. I dont follow college football that closely, so I’m leaning on the members here for info.
I’m more of a passive follower of college ball myself. My knowledge of football in general has increased tenfold just by reading threads here. We’ve got some incredibly insightful individuals posting here unlike many of the dreadful sites floating around. Heck, before I came here I never realized that the single most important measurable to player success was his stance!
The Following User Says Thank You to Thorgrim For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 11:51 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,609 Times in 935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironshaft View Post
Holy Crud, there are about 10 guys that I want to pick still left on the board! I wish we could trade down and get five picks in the top half of the 2nd round; not possible but there are a ton of good guys there.

Some of the defensive backs fell that many thought were low 1st round / fringe 1st round talent. My guess is that one of our early 2nd picks will be defensive back because that appears to be where some of the value is.

Yetur Gross-Matos is hard to overlook as a potential long term starter at left DE taking over for Jabaal Sheard. While not the most athletic, he wins through power, position, hand fighting and a non-stop motor.

CB Trevon Diggs, CB Jaylon Johnson, and S Xavier Mckinney all look to be good value as guys who appear to fit our defense pretty well and could easily be rated by the Colts as 1st round guys.

The choices at WR are insane with Mims, Pittman and Higgins all still on the board and Claypool just a bit later down the list.

Ezra Cleeland, Josh Jones and Robert Hunt are all offensive tackles still on the board that I think have left OT starter potential.

The choices are incredible; I could see a trade back from #34 if it is not too far back to pick up an additional 3rd round pick.

Thoughts?
Gross-Matos was a guy I realized was there after suggesting I'd be happy with Mims and Cleveland last night. While that would still work for me, Gross-Matos is a guy I didn't think the Colts would have a chance at. Ballard loves adding to the DL and OL, so I could see him going Gross-Matos and Cleveland and putting WR off until round 3. I'd be happy with that as well. Also interesting to see Trevon Diggs and Kristian Fulton still available, but I doubt the Colts would take either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcolt View Post
A.J. Epenesa looks like the best player left in the draft, i am surprised he fell out of the 1st round.

Other than him, i don't think that there are any shock players that are still available. Everyone else was scheduled back end of the 1st/early 2nd.

Another guy that i would love it if we were to get is Minnesota safety Antoine Winfield Jr. looks like Bob Sanders all over again.

Looks like we have some really nice guys still available with some depth at our primary positions of need.....loads of choices at WR, S Winfield, Chinn, Dugger are all guys i would be delighted should they end up wearing the horseshoe. DE still has Yetur-Gross and Epenesa, CB's Diggs, Jaylon Johnson and Fulton, Tackles still available Josh Jones, Hunt, Cleveland.
If somehow we could end up with 3 of these guys by the end of todays draft i would be incredibly happy.

The 2nd day of the draft in my opinion is always the best day, where all the value is had.
Epenesa is fool's gold IMO. He reminds me so much of Zach Allen in that his only plan appears to be run through his man. I would be very disappointed if Epenesa was a pick of the Colts.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:56 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,615 Times in 2,023 Posts

Don't forget Fulton in the CB group. Colts reportedly liked him. I expect a senior bowl receiver if it is one. Pittman or Mims, they were both there and both did well.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:18 PM

Thanked 2,591 Times in 1,154 Posts

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...12629564129281

Quote:
The #Bengals are on the clock first tonight at No. 33. Next up are the #Colts, who already are having trade talks about moving down from No. 34. A spot to keep an eye on.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
apballin (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 12:49 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,134 Times in 642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
Might as well move back and stack em up, still be good WR if we move back
The Following User Says Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 01:29 PM

Thanked 1,292 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
Might as well move back and stack em up, still be good WR if we move back
Maybe. What we really need is a couple of difference makers or at least guys who can contribute right away. The more we trade down the less likely that will happen and more likely we end up with guys who won't contribute for a couple of years or end up being just depth guys (like last year).

Last edited by IndyNorm; 04-24-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:29 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
I’m more of a passive follower of college ball myself. My knowledge of football in general has increased tenfold just by reading threads here. We’ve got some incredibly insightful individuals posting here unlike many of the dreadful sites floating around. Heck, before I came here I never realized that the single most important measurable to player success was his stance!
Sarcasm?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-24-2020), Thorgrim (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 01:52 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,615 Times in 2,023 Posts

Not surprised teams want to trade up and we want to trade down. Question is, are we doing for picks this year or next year? If it is for next year, I bet they target a QB next year.

Some stats on WR's:

Percentage of contested catches last year:

Denzel Mims - 30.3%
Tee Higgins - 18.6%

Percentage of catches from screens:

Devin Duvernay - 40%
Denzel Mims - 1.5%

Quote:
Best bet
Denzel Mims -235

Higgins' stock has plummeted - arguably more than that of anyone else at his position. He didn't light it up at his pro day and demonstrated a limited route tree during his career at Clemson, sending his average projected draft position from 19.5 to the fringes of the first round. I boarded the Mims train early and am hoping the momentum hasn't slowed down, though the price of this matchup prop is getting a little out of my comfort zone. I'm simply reading the tea leaves here and hoping Higgins' fall is real. If it is, Mims should hear his name called well before his counterpart.
Quote:
Michael Pittman Jr., USC
Pittman is my bet for this year’s most overthought prospect. You can chase high-end athletic tools all you want, but give me guys like Pittman who know the receiver position like the back of their hand. He can not only separate on the underneath and intermediate route trees, but Pittman is terrific at using his size to stack cornerbacks down the football field. In terms of completeness at the receiver position, Pittman is right up there with anyone in the draft class. What really separates him are his hands. He’s dropped only five passes on 176 catchable targets in his career.
Quote:
John Hightower, Boise State
Hightower is yet another wideout with some speed to burn as he clocked in with a 4.43 at the Combine in Indianapolis. That showed up repeatedly on tape as he averaged 18.5 yards per catch this past season. The Boise State wideout is exceptionally fluid and he isn’t simply winning by striding straight past slower defensive backs on go balls. He sells post-corners and other downfield double moves exceptionally well. We’d love to see him continue to add muscle to his frame, though, as he still only checked in at the Combine weighing 189 pounds — and his ability to fight through contact was inhibited because of it.
Quote:
Devin Duvernay, Texas
Duvernay is on the opposite end of the YAC spectrum from Jennings. He’s a former track athlete who blazed a 4.39 in the 40-yard dash at the Combine. Jet-sweeps and screens are his bread and butter as Duvernay had the second most receptions on screens of any player in the country (42). He converted those into 17 first downs or scores and broke 14 tackles on them — both figures that led the country. With his combination of speed, power and elusiveness, he’ll quickly find a role in an NFL offense.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 04-24-2020 at 01:57 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (04-24-2020), apballin (04-24-2020), Racehorse (04-24-2020), Workhorse (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 02:04 PM

Thanked 2,591 Times in 1,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Question is, are we doing for picks this year or next year? If it is for next year, I bet they target a QB next year.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1253735544963633154

Quote:
Some buzz on Round 2:
— Among the players the #Bengals like at No. 33 are Ross Blacklock & Denzel Mims.

— Colts (34) & Dolphins (39) open to moving out.

— Saints (CB? LB?), Jets (CB?), Jaguars (OT?), Falcons among the teams who have made calls to move up.

New Orleans would need to include next year's picks for sure because they have already traded away this year's 2nd round draft pick. The 2nd and 3rd round draft picks of those four teams are below:

Atlanta Falcons - 2-47, 3-78
Jacksonville - 2-42, 3-73
New York Jets - 2-48, 3-68, 3-79
New Orleans Saints - 3-88
Old 04-24-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Not surprised teams want to trade up and we want to trade down. Question is, are we doing for picks this year or next year?
Take next year's picks. You get more value out of those, and if there ends up being no season this year, then the intrinsic value of a pick this year and next year should be about the same.