ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-19-2021, 09:36 AM

Default Game/Team Observations

First off, I think the colts will make the playoffs but not go very far. The colts will not have a first-round pick in the draft so should sign some free agents to shore up the roster. Below are my thoughts.

QB - Carson Wentz is erratic and mistake prone but the best option the Colts have so Ballard needs to get him some more weapons. Unless Patmon and Strachan develop quickly which I doubt, a couple of receivers need to be brought in via the draft and or free agency. Also, no tight end on the roster scares any defense so help is needed there.

The good news on offense is the O Line is solid and Fisher is not terrible and could be re-signed to a cap friendly deal. An eventual replacement should be drafted.

The defense has a lot of talent but for some reason can't seem to rush the passer. Kwity Paye gives great effort but rarely gets to the QB. He may develop into a solid player with more playing time. I am hoping Dayo also develops quickly.

I can live with the linebackers and secondary although Rhodes is probably done. Kenny, Moore and Rock Ya Sin are solid and hopefully Blackmon the safety comes back strong.

In conclusion, Ballard has put together a solid roster but has some work to do in the off season. I don't see Ballard shelling out big bucks in free agency so needs to hit on players in the draft. Good receivers can be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I'm not writing off this season, but I don't think the team is super bowl bound until a few areas are improved.

Last edited by jasperhobbs; 12-19-2021 at 09:41 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasperhobbs For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (12-22-2021), Thorgrim (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 09:50 AM

I agree that Wentz has flaws. Gunslinger mentality, he needs to not make that forced pass that leads to turnovers. Isn't Campbell back starting the next game? OL is solid in the run game, but can't seem to be that good in pass blocking. That has to improve. I still want to see Hines used more, but the way Taylor is running, I do realize it's hard to get him in there.

So, need help in a lot of phases of the game, but so do most teams. Our two biggest weaknesses are pass rush and pass blocking. If not for that, we'd be Super Bowl bound.
Old 12-19-2021, 09:58 AM

Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
I agree that Wentz has flaws. Gunslinger mentality, he needs to not make that forced pass that leads to turnovers. Isn't Campbell back starting the next game? OL is solid in the run game, but can't seem to be that good in pass blocking. That has to improve. I still want to see Hines used more, but the way Taylor is running, I do realize it's hard to get him in there.

So, need help in a lot of phases of the game, but so do most teams. Our two biggest weaknesses are pass rush and pass blocking. If not for that, we'd be Super Bowl bound.
I would like to try to get Hines touches at WR. It has been mentioned by a few here for years now.
ChoppedWood (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 10:20 AM

Below are top wide receiver free agents. The packers might not be able to keep Davante Adams but I don't see Ballard going after him. Allen Robinson perhaps.

1. Davante Adams, Packers

2. Chris Godwin, Buccaneers

3. Allen Robinson, Bears

4. Mike Williams, Chargers

5. Odell Beckham Jr., Rams

6. Christian Kirk, Cardinals

8. Michael Gallup, Cowboys

7. Cordarrelle Patterson, Falcons (RB/WR)

8. JuJu Smith-Schuster, Steelers

9. D.J. Chark, Jaguars

10. Antonio Brown, Buccaneers
Old 12-19-2021, 10:32 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

We should sign a speed rusher. Pass rush has been a problem for too long and we could have signed guys to decent contracts for the past couple years. Pass rush is too important to constantly hand it to rookies.

We do need another receiver, we can find one in the second round. WR has the highest failure rate of any position and is one of the hardest to adjust to in the NFL.Ballard wanted to sign Allen Robinson years ago, maybe he tries again. But I bet we go the draft.

As for Wentz, I don’t know. The guy is frustratingly inconsistent. This should have been Luck’s team.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 12-19-2021 at 10:43 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 11:07 AM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
We should sign a speed rusher. Pass rush has been a problem for too long and we could have signed guys to decent contracts for the past couple years. Pass rush is too important to constantly hand it to rookies.

We do need another receiver, we can find one in the second round. WR has the highest failure rate of any position and is one of the hardest to adjust to in the NFL.Ballard wanted to sign Allen Robinson years ago, maybe he tries again. But I bet we go the draft.

As for Wentz, I don’t know. The guy is frustratingly inconsistent. This should have been Luck’s team.
I think Wentz could be just fine if:
1- We give him some additional weapons. Paris MAY be part of that solution- hopefully these next 3 games give us more intel. The two rooks, both have potential but need to be on the field to develop; we need one of them to hit next year. FA- Willams or Kirk on this team, partnered with Pittman and some form of take the top off WR (Paris?), that would be a formidable duo due to the size and physicality we would have a the position.

2- To me this is the bigger piece in the Wentz situation- REIN HIM IN! We ARE a run to pass team, not a pass to run team. He needs to be coached that his job is to give us the best chance to win a game, not take chances that could lose it- ala the RPO INT last night. Watch that replay, clearly an RPO and he keeps, but Taylor is going to get huge yards if not a TD on that play. Stop doing that shit!

I get a lot of flack for the anti-Frank rants, but listen to Frank's own words, and believe what he is telling you- coaching is a huge problem. In the 26-0 pass to run streak, he mentioned 6 of the 26= nearly 25% of those plays were RPO's and on 100% of those Wentz chose pass. That has to be stopped and that's why I am so anti-Frank. When you have this line and this incredible back, no way should 1)- 25% of the plays be RPO's and in no reasonable world, should 2) 100% of those be passes, that's just inexcusable. Cut those back and Wentz is not going to look like so much of a gun slinger. He's going to look much more like a Flacco or a Dilfer, or even a Brad Johnson- and with this team, that type of QB is perfectly fine- this team does not need a Peyton or even a Luck type of hero, they just need a guy that is talented enough to keep them from losing games and I believe Wentz can do that, but only if his coach puts him in a box that forces him to be that guy. Right now it looks much more like he and Frank want him to be a poor mans Fahrve, he DOES NOT HAVE THAT LEVEL OF TALENT!
Old 12-19-2021, 11:42 AM

Thanked 1,339 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
I think Wentz could be just fine if:
1- We give him some additional weapons. Paris MAY be part of that solution- hopefully these next 3 games give us more intel. The two rooks, both have potential but need to be on the field to develop; we need one of them to hit next year. FA- Willams or Kirk on this team, partnered with Pittman and some form of take the top off WR (Paris?), that would be a formidable duo due to the size and physicality we would have a the position.

2- To me this is the bigger piece in the Wentz situation- REIN HIM IN! We ARE a run to pass team, not a pass to run team. He needs to be coached that his job is to give us the best chance to win a game, not take chances that could lose it- ala the RPO INT last night. Watch that replay, clearly an RPO and he keeps, but Taylor is going to get huge yards if not a TD on that play. Stop doing that shit!

I get a lot of flack for the anti-Frank rants, but listen to Frank's own words, and believe what he is telling you- coaching is a huge problem. In the 26-0 pass to run streak, he mentioned 6 of the 26= nearly 25% of those plays were RPO's and on 100% of those Wentz chose pass. That has to be stopped and that's why I am so anti-Frank. When you have this line and this incredible back, no way should 1)- 25% of the plays be RPO's and in no reasonable world, should 2) 100% of those be passes, that's just inexcusable. Cut those back and Wentz is not going to look like so much of a gun slinger. He's going to look much more like a Flacco or a Dilfer, or even a Brad Johnson- and with this team, that type of QB is perfectly fine- this team does not need a Peyton or even a Luck type of hero, they just need a guy that is talented enough to keep them from losing games and I believe Wentz can do that, but only if his coach puts him in a box that forces him to be that guy. Right now it looks much more like he and Frank want him to be a poor mans Fahrve, he DOES NOT HAVE THAT LEVEL OF TALENT!
Campbell's not the answer. The dude's made of glass. If he actually makes it on the field again this year, which isn't a given, it'll be for what 5 plays until he breaks something else.

Agree on Wentz. His decision making at times is absolute shit. Not only does he make the wrong read on not handing off on his pick, but he throws into triple coverage. Fucking horrible.
Old 12-19-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
Campbell's not the answer. The dude's made of glass. If he actually makes it on the field again this year, which isn't a given, it'll be for what 5 plays until he breaks something else.

Agree on Wentz. His decision making at times is absolute shit. Not only does he make the wrong read on not handing off on his pick, but he throws into triple coverage. Fucking horrible.
I don't figure Parris Campbell into next seasons receiving corps. If he is, it's a bonus.

Note to Chris Ballard, avoid drafting Ohio state players (Anthony Gonzalez, Malik Hooker, Parris Campbell)
Old 12-19-2021, 01:22 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Disagree about Campbell. He has speed and size. Nobody knows what his injury issues will be going forward. It isn't as if he were injured in college. It is a long shot but it is the only shot we have this year at improving our WR corps. I am hopeful he can provide some help.

Also think it is way to early to have a definite opinion on Wentz. Very little preseason, first year here, one wide receiver of note-I'd like to wait to see what he can do with a year in the system and some real NFL caliber WRs (assuming we get/develop one or two). So far he seems like a middling QB that is strong as a horse-may be a good fit for a run oriented team given time.

Anyone who thought Paye was going to be a stud pass rusher this year was kidding themselves. Rushing the passer is the most difficult thing in the NFL. Almost nobody can dominate coming out of college. It takes a year or two. No dominant pass rusher will ever make it to free agency, it is imperative to develop your own. We need to develop one of these dudes-I am optimistic that we will.

I was pissed at Frank for being slightly finesse the last few games. Apparently he was pissed at himself also because he went total smash mouth in this game. What is there to complain about CW? He did what we wanted, is not a stubborn self-absorbed man. You underestimate his ability to connect with players and get them not to just say screw the season, even when you are 1-5. That is special, keeping the locker room when you have shit the bed as many times as we did to start this year. He gets along wonderfully with Ballard and Wentz. I have no idea who would be a guaranteed improvement over him. We would be nuts to let him go.

I'm more excited about this team than I ever thought possible a few months ago. Things look good to me, on the correct path here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 01:34 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Watching ESPN this morning they commented that Frank Reich said before the long TD run by Taylor he thought about passing the ball but went ahead and called run...Glad he went with Taylor. That could have been a pick 6 time if Wentz had thrown it the way he was playing.