ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 08-12-2019, 06:00 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Cain and Fountain are an interesting dilemma. There is a fair chance that one of them might hit it big, not so much that they both due. But which one? They both are hard workers, both are big, both are fast and both seem to be working on mental aspects of their game (Cain concentrating on the ball and Fountain learning route recognition). We get to see how they handle the pressure of competition as an added benefit. Now what do you do if, as it may appear, they both continue to make progress?
Old 08-12-2019, 06:12 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

No way is Rogers entrenched as the slot receiver or a lock to make the roster.

Ideally Campbell is the slot WR. Let's not forget that TY can be pretty proficient in the slot as well. Reich will employ multiple personnel groupings based on the opponent. I could easily see a grouping with TY in the slot and Funchess and Cain or Fountain on the outside. Hines will also get some work in the slot.

Rogers best chance of making the team, is the same as it's always been...beat out all other contenders for KR, PR or both.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:20 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post

Ideally Campbell is the slot WR. Let's not forget that TY can be pretty proficient in the slot as well. Reich will employ multiple personnel groupings based on the opponent. I could easily see a grouping with TY in the slot and Funchess and Cain or Fountain on the outside. Hines will also get some work in the slot.

Rogers best chance of making the team, is the same as it's always been...beat out all other contenders for KR, PR or both.
Based on what? Everything I've read or heard said Rogers is the starter and is making the roster. Cambell is hurt and isn't even practicing, he isn't unseating him anytime soon.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:33 PM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Yep It is so damn nice to be talking about what guys are good at and how that is going to make cutting them painful. I have no idea who will stick buy am really enjoying watching and reading about these guys competing. Ballard has got to be smiling.

Thought about starting a new thread but figured it could be discussed here as well since there is a lot of roster talk going on:

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...24495106351111

Quote:
As the trade market picks up, one team to watch is the #Colts, who have numbers at CB, WR, OL and are getting calls. They’re not shopping anyone, but could be active in the coming weeks if the offer’s right.

Basically - other teams have noticed the Colts roster and maybe don't want to wait for the waiver wire....if the other team is targeting someone, they will try to make a trade. Obviously the return will be a low, lotto type draft pick but it might be another way of minimizing losses on cut down day.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 08:24 AM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
Thought about starting a new thread but figured it could be discussed here as well since there is a lot of roster talk going on:

Basically - other teams have noticed the Colts roster and maybe don't want to wait for the waiver wire....if the other team is targeting someone, they will try to make a trade. Obviously the return will be a low, lotto type draft pick but it might be another way of minimizing losses on cut down day.
Good point. This year will be telling, if the draft pans out even half as well as last year did, the value of trading for picks goes up because we have a front office that knows what to do with them.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 08-13-2019, 08:32 AM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post

I find this odd too, he had 53 catches for almost 500 yards last year and averaged 9.2 YPR. I'm certainly no expert but aside from his ridiculous 2004 season, those numbers are not far off from a typical season from Brandon Stokely, perhaps the best slot receiver of the Manning era.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 08-13-2019, 10:56 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

l think that who makes the team will be telling. If we keep both Cain and Fountain (something that if they both continue to improve I am hoping we do) it tells me that we are 'shooting for the moon' athletically. At this point in this team development I think that is appropriate. Why 'waste' picks on developmental types if you are not going to keep them if they start to develop? In todays game we don't need 1967 Travis Williams (yes I saw him) returning kick offs, they are not really a big part of the game now. Punts are another issue and that can be a huge one. That is my one caveat, we need someone who has sure hands back there on punts. Not sure if any of these new guys are capable.

We used a second round draft pick on Campbell. I am assuming that the plan was for him to be in the slot. Tells me they were not thrilled with Rogers as the long term answer there. I'm not sure that anything, besides the first three receivers is set in stone

Last edited by Oldcolt; 08-13-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:18 AM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

I have a hard time believing that one of Cain or Fountain ends up cut, after Fountain has worked to improve himself and Cain has only just come back from injury. I would expect Funchess or Rogers to be cut before them unless one of them is proving himself indispensable, and that isn’t even remotely the case.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:01 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I have a hard time believing that one of Cain or Fountain ends up cut, after Fountain has worked to improve himself and Cain has only just come back from injury. I would expect Funchess or Rogers to be cut before them unless one of them is proving himself indispensable, and that isn’t even remotely the case.
There is 0.00000% Devin Funchess is cut.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
Luck4Reich (08-14-2019), Racehorse (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 12:34 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post

Yep. I wouldn't be surprised at all with a trade or two.