ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-31-2023, 06:45 AM

I get concerns because the production simply hasn't been there. That's objectively true.

I'm apprehensive to see moves made in replacing Ballard because we've already put our chips into Richardson and this new regime, unless we're completely open to letting Steichen run his own show.

What I do not want to see is another GM come in here, lament that the HC and QB are not his guys, and we start this shit over again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Session For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (11-05-2023), Racehorse (10-31-2023), TheMugwump (11-05-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 02:35 PM

Thanked 1,666 Times in 796 Posts

I def am not in the camp to think Ballard has built a bad team. I think it was clear already this year that simply upgrading the QB and coach was enough to get this team back into being playoff-caliber.

The problem though, was that we then lose said QB, plus have to deal with a bunch of losses to defensive personnel.

I never really bought much into that "next man up" stuff. I mean of course the next guy has to step up, but 2nd and 3rd string players are 2nd and 3rd string for a reason. You're nearly *always* going to have a drop off in play quality when you're digging down in your depth chart.

I do agree though that Ballard's emphasis on "measureables" in his receivers is a problem. His big athletic guys just aren't panning out. Pittman is the best in that bunch and in the end Pittman is at best a #2 receiver, but is really a possession receiver across the middle, and that's it.

If it wasn't for Reggie identifying Downs and vouching for him, we would still be struggling for impact at the WR position - but Reggie picked a non-Ballard type player because he could recognize that Downs knows how to play the position.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (10-31-2023), Oldcolt (10-31-2023), Racehorse (11-01-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 03:35 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

My bitch about Ballard was that he found great players in positions that don’t win games (OLB, guard RB) but that seems to be changing as of late. The little time that I’ve seen AR has convinced me he is the man. He does shit that only NFL QBs do and I don’t mean his off the charts physical talent, I mean his work effort and mental approach. LT seems secure also, even have a decent backup. We are one guy away at WR Still not there at rushing the passer but getting better. It seems like he also nailed it with Streichen. Ballard seems to be improving, learning as the years go on. It needs to come together next year for us. I’m sick of this shit.
Old 11-02-2023, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
I am actually not in that camp, generally speaking that's fools gold every year. What pisses me off about him is his seeming obsession with physical prowess, measurables, physique in drafting vs just getting dudes that can play the damn game. The secondary thing is his almost joy in having a big bank account- for fucking what reason? It's not his fucking money, and really, it's not even Jim's, it's the NFL's when you really step back and think about it. For some reason he seems to think his job is to make sure the + side of the +/- of the GL is stocked with cash.... but every fucking off season we're always on here saying "this is the year, this is the year he's gonna get a major DE or a bigtime WR, and he never does.
Finally, he seems to be arrogant and such an image aware dude. Man aint no fans giving two fucks about your tight ass shirts and slick part. You're an old man, an old football man, get some pizza sauce on a gnarly Colts shirt and fucking watch film (and maybe more than the like 30 minutes of film you watched on Ryan to convince yourself he still had it...).
My question to Ballard would be, " when are you going to stop rebuilding"?This franchise has been in rebuild mode for seven years now, its about time they take a few chances, Jesus, Chase Young for a third round draft pick, was everyone asleep when those phone calls were being made? Its time for Ballard to shit or get off the pot !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njcoltfan For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (11-02-2023), rm1369 (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 09:48 AM
Post whore

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
My question to Ballard would be, " when are you going to stop rebuilding"?This franchise has been in rebuild mode for seven years now, its about time they take a few chances, Jesus, Chase Young for a third round draft pick, was everyone asleep when those phone calls were being made? Its time for Ballard to shit or get off the pot !
Young is going to be an unrestricted free agent in March.

So why give up a 3rd round pick for a rental this year when it is apparent the Colts are not contenders.
ChaosTheory (11-02-2023), CletusPyle (11-02-2023), Ironshaft (11-03-2023), Oldcolt (11-02-2023), Racehorse (11-02-2023), TheMugwump (11-05-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
I never understood acquiring old vet QBs (win now moves) then treating the rest of the roster like a rebuild. Should have been one or the other. Regardless IMO that ambiguity has ended. QB is in place. Time to win. This should be the last year of gifting positions to rookies and prioritizing development over winning.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:07 AM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post

So why give up a 3rd round pick for a rental this year when it is apparent the Colts are not contenders.
Shortsightedness.
Old 11-02-2023, 05:19 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

the results over ballards tenure have not been great. i understand what a lot of the issues have been but the results are what they are. at some point you have to have something to show for the work you put in.

not saying i want him fired but there are clearly issues.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (11-02-2023), IndyNorm (11-02-2023), Ironshaft (11-03-2023), Thorgrim (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Shortsightedness.
Without an agreement on an extension it would make no sense for Colts. Perfect sense for 49ers though. I believe if he walks they are very likely to get a comp 3rd for him anyway. Surprised more competitive teams wouldn’t have rolled the dice there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (11-02-2023), Racehorse (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 06:48 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post

That's a guy to pursue in Free Agency, the 49ers can't possibly afford to extend him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-02-2023)