ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-31-2021, 10:25 PM

Thanked 4,294 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck4Reich View Post
I guess you missed where Reich has already blown more 11 point leads as a coach in less than half the games of Pagano lol
look at his qb
Old 10-31-2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post

This team needs work and we are in year five of Ballard. This is why teams dig into FA. Because it takes forever to build a team only through the draft.
Exactly. The idea that you are only going to draft and develop guys long term is about 20-30 years antiquated. Yes that needs to be your primary source of talent, but even the best drafting GMs miss as many (or more) as they hit. Ballard is always playing for flexibility and next year. He leaves glaring holes in the roster. He prioritizes young guys over proven vets. He’s used free agency a little but pretty much only when he has an extremely low risk option with maximum team flexibility. Sounds great - until Zach Pascal is your number one receiver or you have a team talking super bowl with no pass rusher with double digit sacks CUMULATIVE FOR THEIR CAREER! He preached paying “our own” but let Autry walk to a division rival because he refused to pay him. Instead he went into the season with all of his unproven “athletes” at DE. You guys can spare me the story of how he tried to match the Titans offer. You don’t preach what he’s preached and then be surprised a guy doesn’t want to let you match. Ballard pinched his pennies and got burned. Playing for next year has a cost. The Colts have paid that cost pretty much every year Ballard has been GM and I still don’t see the promised dynasty on the horizon. Hell, I’d settle for beating a playoff level team.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (11-01-2021), njcoltfan (11-01-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 10:47 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck4Reich View Post
I guess you missed where Reich has already blown more 11 point leads as a coach in less than half the games of Pagano lol
We can’t stop the pass. It would be nice if every team ran the ball. But we have no pass rush nor dominant corners in a passing league.

Also we are about to have no cap room because we will have the most expensive oline in the league.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
Hasn't done shit is probably harsh b/c he has brought in a couple of guys who were productive. The point I was trying to make is that he hasn't brought in real difference makers, and the few guys he has brought in who were productive (Autry, Houston) he let go when their contracts were up. This would be fine if Ballard was a better drafter than what he is, but he's proven to be average to slightly above average.

I don’t necessarily knock Ballard for not signing “difference makers”. I knock him for not making sufficient attempts at shoring up glaring weaknesses year after year. If he does anything he goes cheap (and flexible) with the idea he’ll fix it next year. You don’t have to turn a major weakness into a major strength for it to help the team. Competence and experience can make a world of difference, but they come at a price that Ballard is not willing to pay.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:07 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I do think Ballard has made sufficient attempts to find a pass rusher. We have spent a fortune in draft capital on defensive ends. The issue is all he has done, so far anyway, is swing and miss. To early to say on some (Paye, Dayo) but it isn't encouraging so far. Takes time to develop but you would expect to see some development in some of these guys by now.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I do think Ballard has made sufficient attempts to find a pass rusher. We have spent a fortune in draft capital on defensive ends. The issue is all he has done, so far anyway, is swing and miss. To early to say on some (Paye, Dayo) but it isn't encouraging so far. Takes time to develop but you would expect to see some development in some of these guys by now.
They entered the season with no pass rusher on the roster having double digit sacks for their career. They banked on a depth guy (Muhammad), a guy who flashed for like two games two seasons ago but can’t stay healthy (Turay), a guy in danger of being cut (Banogu), a disappointment (Lewis), a rookie that had 11.5 sacks in 4 years of college (Paye), and a guy who tore his Achilles before the draft (Dayo). Oh yeah, and Isaac Rochelle. That is what Ballard banked this season on. That isn’t sufficient attempts at creating a pass rush. That’s just a hope and a prayer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (11-01-2021), Mr. Session (11-01-2021), njcoltfan (11-01-2021)