ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-02-2020, 07:32 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,643 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I can see him sticking with Brissett. Ballard has been extremely conservative in nearly all of his moves. I don’t see him pursuing Bridgewater as a FA - he’s going to get a good contract. That’s risky. I don’t see him trading up as that is a significant risk as well. If he’s in love with someone at 13 he’ll pull the trigger. Other than that I believe Ballard when he says he’s not going to panic and set the team back by making a mistake. I’m not saying that’s the right path, but I’d be surprised if it’s not the one he takes. Hope I’m wrong.
I hope you're wrong, too. I see Ballard's approach as methodical and aware of the fact that a franchise QB is necessary for consistent success in the modern NFL. He's not going to overreact and sell himself on someone who won't fit the bill, nor should he. However, I do see him doing what it takes to get the guy he thinks will be able to take the team to the next level, should that opportunity present itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
Honestly with our O-line and Reich as a coach I like our chances with any QB not named Hoyer
Briskett got exposed once NFL defenses got tape on him. This team needs a better QB.

Last edited by Dam8610; 01-02-2020 at 07:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I see Ballard's approach as methodical and aware of the fact that a franchise QB is necessary for consistent success in the modern NFL.
What indicates to you that he is aware that a franchise QB is necessary for consistent success? Certainly seems obvious but Ballard was content to slow roll his roster building with a franchise QB in place. That doesn’t scream to me that he knows the value of a franchise QB. I’ll be very surprised if he risks the rest of his build shooting for a QB.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:37 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Ballard acknowledged the obvious and didnt commit himself to any one course. There is a lot of time between now and camp.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:10 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
I don't think he will. He's under-delivered on two teams now, and bailed on one of those. Really the only team I can see him playing for is the Patriots.
Teams don’t care. If he can win them games they will sign him.

I thought the snake had burned coaching opportunities. Nope. Teams are lining up to interview him.

Unless your a nut job like AB, teams will try to sign you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 09:43 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,643 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
What indicates to you that he is aware that a franchise QB is necessary for consistent success? Certainly seems obvious but Ballard was content to slow roll his roster building with a franchise QB in place. That doesn’t scream to me that he knows the value of a franchise QB. I’ll be very surprised if he risks the rest of his build shooting for a QB.
So because he didn't blow his wad on a bad free agent class in his first year, he doesn't understand the importance of a franchise QB? Just confirming that's what you're trying to say.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
So because he didn't blow his wad on a bad free agent class in his first year, he doesn't understand the importance of a franchise QB? Just confirming that's what you're trying to say.
No, I’m saying in the 3 offseasons that Ballard has ran the organization he has bargain shopped, sat on cash, and himself said he was building through the draft - not free agency. He has preached its about the team, not one person. And he has followed through with those statements. He has built his team in a slow deliberate manner even when he had the single most important piece in place. So I’m asking what the fuck you have seen or heard that suggests he’ll make an extremely risky move now? He literally said a day or so ago that a wrong move at QB sets you back 4-5 years. Everything he has said and done in the past contradicts what you are saying he obviously knows. I’m asking you what the hell you base your comment on.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:25 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Nobody has any idea of what Ballard is going to do, probably including him. He doesn't seem to be blowing smoke up our asses and knows that Brissett has big time limitations. I'm sure he wants an upgrade but who and how much does it cost? We are in a bad place, middle of the road team that needs a quarterback.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:13 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Nobody has any idea of what Ballard is going to do, probably including him. He doesn't seem to be blowing smoke up our asses and knows that Brissett has big time limitations. I'm sure he wants an upgrade but who and how much does it cost? We are in a bad place, middle of the road team that needs a quarterback.
agree, this puts ballard in a really tough spot. middle of the pack needing a franchise QB is about the worst place to be. I dont think he will panic and do something stupid like sign winston or make a trubisky trade. however, I dont think he has many good options.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I can see him sticking with Brissett. Ballard has been extremely conservative in nearly all of his moves. I don’t see him pursuing Bridgewater as a FA - he’s going to get a good contract. That’s risky. I don’t see him trading up as that is a significant risk as well. If he’s in love with someone at 13 he’ll pull the trigger. Other than that I believe Ballard when he says he’s not going to panic and set the team back by making a mistake. I’m not saying that’s the right path, but I’d be surprised if it’s not the one he takes. Hope I’m wrong.
What’s wrong with not panicking and setting the team back by making a mistake? Everyone can nitpick, but the truth is that Ballard’s long term strategy appeared to be working exactly as planned until the rug got pulled out from beneath him by the Luck retirement a couple weeks before the season was to begin. Even then, we demonstrated a marked improvement from the last time we were without Luck (2017), when we went 4-12 and looked depressingly bad.

Honestly, with even an average kicking game we might be in the playoffs this season (though admittedly probably one-and-done) despite the Luck retirement. Criticize Ballard all you want keeping Vinatieri around too long, but the guy had perhaps the best track record of any kicker EVER, so betting that Vinatieri would right the ship over the alternative - bringing in an unproven or disgraced kicker jettisoned by other teams - did not seem too unreasonable to me. Notably, he jumped on McLaughlin when he became available, so hopefully we caught a break there.

Bottom line: the future remains bright, despite all the hand-wringing here, though finding a workable QB is undeniably a major issue that will dictate the success of Ballard’s plans going forward.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Ironshaft (02-21-2020), Pez (01-03-2020), Racehorse (01-04-2020), rcubed (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
What’s wrong with not panicking and setting the team back by making a mistake? Everyone can nitpick, but the truth is that Ballard’s long term strategy appeared to be working exactly as planned until the rug got pulled out from beneath him by the Luck retirement a couple weeks before the season was to begin. Even then, we demonstrated a marked improvement from the last time we were without Luck (2017), when we went 4-12 and looked depressingly bad.

Honestly, with even an average kicking game we might be in the playoffs this season (though admittedly probably one-and-done) despite the Luck retirement. Criticize Ballard all you want keeping Vinatieri around too long, but the guy had perhaps the best track record of any kicker EVER, so betting that Vinatieri would right the ship over the alternative - bringing in an unproven or disgraced kicker jettisoned by other teams - did not seem too unreasonable to me. Notably, he jumped on McLaughlin when he became available, so hopefully we caught a break there.

Bottom line: the future remains bright, despite all the hand-wringing here, though finding a workable QB is undeniably a major issue that will dictate the success of Ballard’s plans going forward.
Where did I criticize Ballard for not panicking? My point with dam is that nothing Ballard has done previously indicates he values the QB position to the degree he would make the risky decision to sign Bridgewater to a big contract or trade all of his draft capital to move up in the draft. He’s pretty much said and done the exact opposite in his time here. That’s my point with dam.

As to the rest of it, you and I will never agree, but it’s not nitpicking to criticize Ballard’s decision to follow a long term rebuild with a franchise QB on the roster. I’ve been saying it since he started. With a franchise QB in place it was the wrong decision. I stand by that assessment. I’m sure you’ll point out Luck’s retirement was unforeseen and screwed it all up. I get that, however I’m on the record in our discussions saying that he shouldn’t be looking more than about 2 years ahead anyway because shit changes too quickly for a 4-5 year plan. So while the specific circumstance was unforeseen the fact something changed everything before he completed his master plan is not.

Look, I like the guy. I have never asked for him to be fired. You can spin how close they were to a one and done playoff birth all you want, but IMO this team is further away from a title today than it was the day Ballard was hired. Thats with or without Luck ever coming back from the shoulder injury. The roster is just improved enough that they won’t be in the running for a top QB prospect without mortgaging the future to move up.

The three most important positions for winning in the NFL are QB, LT, and pass rusher. Right now the Colts have questions or holes at all 3, so I’m not nearly as optimistic as you. And I sure as hell don’t see any glimpse of the dynasty you and Ballard have been envisioning.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
Colt Classic (01-03-2020)