ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 09-09-2018, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts
Default Eberflus

1st of all I am not calling for his firing.....

Wondering since he was not a Reich hire that unless he does a stellar job he will be replaced and Frank brings in his own guy?

I am wondering about the draft picks on the D side. Were they picked specifically for a T2 D? I dont see us going back to a 3-4 but maybe not T2

If not.... next yrs draft and FA will have to produce 2 pass rushers, a 3 Tech and 2 more cornerbacks. I dont see how we get 5 starters in the draft so he is going to have to use FA to fill in the gaps somehow.

All this to say is this why he didn't spend on the D this yr? He is not counting on Eberflus being here and has spoken to Reich about what he wants to do next yr. Reich agreed to keep him this yr because it was so late in the hiring process and has the option to chose his guy next yr. Much like Ballard and Pagshit

Just a thought
Old 09-09-2018, 11:00 PM

Thanked 1,115 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
1st of all I am not calling for his firing.....

Wondering since he was not a Reich hire that unless he does a stellar job he will be replaced and Frank brings in his own guy?

I am wondering about the draft picks on the D side. Were they picked specifically for a T2 D? I dont see us going back to a 3-4 but maybe not T2

If not.... next yrs draft and FA will have to produce 2 pass rushers, a 3 Tech and 2 more cornerbacks. I dont see how we get 5 starters in the draft so he is going to have to use FA to fill in the gaps somehow.

All this to say is this why he didn't spend on the D this yr? He is not counting on Eberflus being here and has spoken to Reich about what he wants to do next yr. Reich agreed to keep him this yr because it was so late in the hiring process and has the option to chose his guy next yr. Much like Ballard and Pagshit

Just a thought
Dave DeGuglielmo is the coach that should be under the microscope. He was McDaniels hand picked guy & he wasn't that good in NE or Miami. I wouldn't be surprised if Reich brings in his own O-line coach next year.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dewey 5 For This Useful Post:
bertjones (09-10-2018), Chromeburn (01-16-2019), Coltsalr (09-09-2018), Spike (09-10-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey 5 View Post
Dave DeGuglielmo is the coach that should be under the microscope. He was McDaniels hand picked guy & he wasn't that good in NE or Miami. I wouldn't be surprised if Reich brings in his own O-line coach next year.
Agreed. And I shouldn’t have excluded the other coaches. But especially the coordinators But Reich is calling plays so the OC is running his offense. So he may be safer than Eberflus
Old 09-09-2018, 11:09 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Ballard seems intent on a 43 defense.

I am not sold on us running a Tampa 2. I know I saw some man on the outside. Which could have been a cover 3.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:36 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Ballard seems intent on a 43 defense.

I am not sold on us running a Tampa 2. I know I saw some man on the outside. Which could have been a cover 3.
I think they run a fair bit of cover 3 in Dallas.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post

Just a thought
I certainly hope not. As down as I’ve been on Ballard’s rebuild this is a level of dysfunction even I don’t want to believe is possible. I think Ballard is simply telling the truth when he talks about stacking 3-4 successful drafts back to back. Free agency will be used sparingly to supplement the draft with bargains and team flexible contracts.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:54 AM

Its one game, first of all. Give the guy some time.

The D did produce two turnovers, one that should have resulted in an easy TD by the offense, but they did nothing with it.

I am not thrilled with the Tampa 2 but the D wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. The biggest disappointment is the run D, still awful

And Wilson sucks. Wasted second rounder. Yes that was a cheap penalty on him at the end of the half, but he got beat on that play pretty bad and he is lucky it wasn't a catch anyway.

Then the Green TD, I don't know how you let that happen in this type of D, supposed to keep things in front of you and not let the WR run right by you.

If this scheme continues though obviously have to generate pass rush somehow. Otherwise the Tampa 2 is just a slow death normally for the D
Old 09-10-2018, 08:14 AM

Thanked 1,889 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post

The D did produce two turnovers, one that should have resulted in an easy TD by the offense, but they did nothing with it.

I am not thrilled with the Tampa 2 but the D wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. The biggest disappointment is the run D, still awful

And Wilson sucks. Wasted second rounder. Yes that was a cheap penalty on him at the end of the half, but he got beat on that play pretty bad and he is lucky it wasn't a catch anyway.

Then the Green TD, I don't know how you let that happen in this type of D, supposed to keep things in front of you and not let the WR run right by you.

If this scheme continues though obviously have to generate pass rush somehow. Otherwise the Tampa 2 is just a slow death normally for the D
The turnovers were a mirage because the Bengals aren’t very good. To consistently produce turnovers you need good corners and pressure on the quarterback, both things that the Colts lack.

I don’t think they’ll get more TO’s than that in a game the rest of the year.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Not calling for him to be fired. Wondering about not using cap money more than anything.

Maybe in the back of his mind he needed to make sure Luck was back and if not use money on a QB?

I understand he only wants to use FA to fill gaps but there are a lot of gaps in that defense
Old 09-10-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:

I pretty much agree with this except the D not being as horrible as thought. I think you have to take into account how bad the Cincy offense was last year. No gaurentee they aren’t improved obviously, but I seriously doubt they are in the upper tier in the league. I’d feel better if the Colts were limiting them but were getting killed by big plays as a result of confusion, missed assignments, etc. I see that as more correctable and a better indication of talent being hurt by youth. The D simply lacks talent and couldn’t compete with an average at best O on a down by down basis. That to me was the worst case scenario and exactly what I saw.