ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-07-2024, 01:29 PM

Thanked 1,666 Times in 796 Posts
Default Its the offseason thread

Losing yesterday was disappointing in a "win and in" scenario but it definitely does not feel like 2 years ago when we had 2 shots at a win and in, and screw up against the raiders and then got rolled in a pathetic showing vs the jags.

Yesterday this team had fight, they've had fight in them most of the season. 2 games, Cincy and Atlanta, were weird and felt like they didn't show up.

anyway, a few thoughts heading into the offseason and what to do to get better.

Offense:
its going places. But we gotta hope AR is the real deal. i'm optimistic. I'm not worried about the injuries, falling the way he did on that thin turf with concrete under will separate anyone's shoulder. It that was on dirt/grass, its not serious.
Minshew is fool's gold. He makes just enough plays to win some, but he fails to see open guys, makes throws that are too high (bad footwork) and his placement makes a lot of balls too hard to catch (see the 4th and 1). People say he's the best backup in the league and that may be, but there's not even 32 players starting who are worth starting, so being the best 33rd QB doesn't mean much.

What do we need?

WR: Pittman and Downs are solid, Pierce maybe. Montgomery doesn't bring much, he's just a guy. Definitely look for another impact player here. This group still needs the most help.

QB: AR and maybe keep Minshew and hope he doesn't have to play much. Or maybe find a new backup.

TEs: Its a fair bunch, if we luck into a dynamic player, fine. Not sure how long Cox will stay so we might need another starter, esp if Ogletree is gone.

RBs: JT + some combo of Moss, Sermon and Goodson is no problem.

Tackles: Raimann, Freeland, Smith is OK but I wouldn't mind if we can find an upgrade at RT.

Guards: Nelson and Fries remain fine. A little depth is good.

Center: i thought French has done OK filling in for Kelly. Not sure how much Kelly has left. Again, a little depth.

Defense - I'm not too down on Bradley, he's defense depends on elite secondary, and we just haven't had that, its been thin, injured, and young. Give him help here and I think things look a lot better.

DTs: its a good rotation, a little depth is good.

DEs: same. I know everyone wants a 15 sack per year kind of guy here and hey that's great if we can find one. But the way this group schemes everyone into getting sacks, I think the pass rush/pressure is OK. Run defense has been OK.

LBs: more or less the same, I would like to see 1 new dynamic player here though because its Franklin and Speed and a bunch of guys.

S: not a bad group, losing Blackmon hurt vs Houston, otherwise Thomas and Cross are promising. Adding 1 here is a good idea though.

DBs: the real problem. Not sure how much Moore has left in the tank. Brents is promising. Jaylon Jones might turn out OK. We need probably 2 good ones here and is a position I'd target in the first round.
Old 01-07-2024, 01:54 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Gotta get an elite pass rusher to put beside Buckner

Gotta get reliable DBs, Juju is injury prone and can’t be relied on

Gotta get a TE, the way we run the ball I feel like TE game breaker is what this offense is missing. Teams knew all year none of our stars were a threat or needed to be respected whatsoever
Old 01-07-2024, 02:02 PM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
Losing yesterday was disappointing in a "win and in" scenario but it definitely does not feel like 2 years ago when we had 2 shots at a win and in, and screw up against the raiders and then got rolled in a pathetic showing vs the jags.

Yesterday this team had fight, they've had fight in them most of the season. 2 games, Cincy and Atlanta, were weird and felt like they didn't show up.

anyway, a few thoughts heading into the offseason and what to do to get better.

Offense:
its going places. But we gotta hope AR is the real deal. i'm optimistic. I'm not worried about the injuries, falling the way he did on that thin turf with concrete under will separate anyone's shoulder. It that was on dirt/grass, its not serious.
Minshew is fool's gold. He makes just enough plays to win some, but he fails to see open guys, makes throws that are too high (bad footwork) and his placement makes a lot of balls too hard to catch (see the 4th and 1). People say he's the best backup in the league and that may be, but there's not even 32 players starting who are worth starting, so being the best 33rd QB doesn't mean much.

What do we need?

WR: Pittman and Downs are solid, Pierce maybe. Montgomery doesn't bring much, he's just a guy. Definitely look for another impact player here. This group still needs the most help.

QB: AR and maybe keep Minshew and hope he doesn't have to play much. Or maybe find a new backup.

TEs: Its a fair bunch, if we luck into a dynamic player, fine. Not sure how long Cox will stay so we might need another starter, esp if Ogletree is gone.

RBs: JT + some combo of Moss, Sermon and Goodson is no problem.

Tackles: Raimann, Freeland, Smith is OK but I wouldn't mind if we can find an upgrade at RT.

Guards: Nelson and Fries remain fine. A little depth is good.

Center: i thought French has done OK filling in for Kelly. Not sure how much Kelly has left. Again, a little depth.

Defense - I'm not too down on Bradley, he's defense depends on elite secondary, and we just haven't had that, its been thin, injured, and young. Give him help here and I think things look a lot better.

DTs: its a good rotation, a little depth is good.

DEs: same. I know everyone wants a 15 sack per year kind of guy here and hey that's great if we can find one. But the way this group schemes everyone into getting sacks, I think the pass rush/pressure is OK. Run defense has been OK.

LBs: more or less the same, I would like to see 1 new dynamic player here though because its Franklin and Speed and a bunch of guys.

S: not a bad group, losing Blackmon hurt vs Houston, otherwise Thomas and Cross are promising. Adding 1 here is a good idea though.

DBs: the real problem. Not sure how much Moore has left in the tank. Brents is promising. Jaylon Jones might turn out OK. We need probably 2 good ones here and is a position I'd target in the first round.
To me there is no doubt that CB and WR are the biggest needs. If not a WR, then a young dynamic TE.

I would be happy if Baker never suits up for us again. His tackling all season has been atrocious. The dude is afraid to hit somebody.

Every other position group seems to be at least ok, but could still use depth.

A lot of crucial FA's this year. Ballard has work to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 02:33 PM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Don't forget that Jelani Woods was supposed to be our dynamic TE and the hamstring stole his entire season. He should come back and, along with AR, provide more explosiveness at two positions.

I've not kept up with Ogltree's situation so whatever... But I still like Granson and I liked the little we saw of Mallory.

We need DB help for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 04:39 PM

Thanked 4,396 Times in 2,529 Posts

It looks like we could pick as early as 15th. Is that right?
Old 01-07-2024, 04:46 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Hate to say it, and hard to say it after a season where we broke the sack record, but I think you have to find a new DC. Bradley is just too damn stubborn and willing to let opposing offenses click off 7-12 yard dink and dunk plays all game long. We constantly allow QB's to get in early rhythm and consume clock creating a scenario where every single offensive possession feels like it is a must score situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Spike (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 04:56 PM

Thanked 1,666 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
It looks like we could pick as early as 15th. Is that right?
depends I think on whether Jax loses. There are about 1 minute away from doing so. This is mildly hilarious - leading the AFC south all year, and about to be out of the playoffs entirely!

edit: they're toast.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-07-2024), ChoppedWood (01-07-2024), Ironshaft (01-08-2024), Racehorse (01-07-2024), Spike (01-07-2024), TheMugwump (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 04:58 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
depends I think on whether Jax loses. There are about 1 minute away from doing so. This is mildly hilarious - leading the AFC south all year, and about to be out of the playoffs entirely!

edit: they're toast.
Lawrence is not a franchise guy. Dude may be like 3rd tier at this point. Wow what a collapse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-07-2024), Spike (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 05:33 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Don't forget that Jelani Woods was supposed to be our dynamic TE and the hamstring stole his entire season. He should come back and, along with AR, provide more explosiveness at two positions.

I've not kept up with Ogltree's situation so whatever... But I still like Granson and I liked the little we saw of Mallory.

We need DB help for sure.
i am not relying on woods at all. a dynamic te is needed for sure. i like mallory and granson is fine. but we can definitely upgrade
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (01-07-2024), Racehorse (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 05:43 PM

Thanked 1,120 Times in 623 Posts

Ballard better spend in free agency this year.