ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 05-21-2019, 08:16 AM
Accidental Administrator

Default Importance of "Veteran Presence"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMugwump View Post
Ah yes...the thread with the great arm-length debate of 2019. Good times.
Not to start another good times debate, but to what extent do you think the "proverbial veteran presence" is a factor in the Ballard culture?

The reason I'm bringing this up is we see a great deal of leadership based on merit. Darius Leonard became a rookie leadership presence in the locker room by the end of the season, There is video of Quenton Nelson mentoring Costanzo

I think that veteran presence if very important, but I think it might be less important to the Colts' buy-in culture than it might be for other teams.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 05-21-2019, 09:04 AM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Al woods was said to be a great vet for the locker room. Not sure how important it is
Old 05-21-2019, 10:24 AM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Veteran presence only really matters if your team is good and has game-changing players, tbh.

Andre Johnson was a veteran presence once. Heh. The list goes on.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:30 AM

I don’t believe it’s all that important to Ballard. He certainly seems to put a lot of emphasis on how guys will fit culturally and schematically, but I don’t think guys have been kept or acquired to provide a “veteran presence.” Those that have been signed and provided it (Slauson, Mitchell) have primarily been signed to address short term roster holes, not necessarily to provide leadership. It’s an area where I disagree with Ballard as I don’t believe the Colts would have started 1-5 last year if they weren’t so young everywhere. Regardless it will become a moot point very quickly as Ballard’s draft picks become vets. This has always been a 3-4 year rebuild for Ballard anyway - no matter how much everyone likes to claim it wasn’t.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
Veteran presence only really matters if your team is good and has game-changing players, tbh.

Andre Johnson was a veteran presence once. Heh. The list goes on.
I completely disagree with this. Seeing how players take care of their bodies, study tape, etc is the kinds of things guys pickup from vets. Hilton learning tricks of the trade from Reggie is an example of veteran presence. Wilson’s attitude change after being mentored a little by Mitchell is an example of veteran presence. Guys can learn a lot from someone that’s “been there and done that.” I’d agree that a team needs some talent to get the most from it, but if your roster is so shit that there is no one capable of improving then the vets are probably your best players anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
JAFF (05-21-2019), Oldcolt (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 12:20 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I completely disagree with this. Seeing how players take care of their bodies, study tape, etc is the kinds of things guys pickup from vets. Hilton learning tricks of the trade from Reggie is an example of veteran presence. Wilson’s attitude change after being mentored a little by Mitchell is an example of veteran presence. Guys can learn a lot from someone that’s “been there and done that.” I’d agree that a team needs some talent to get the most from it, but if your roster is so shit that there is no one capable of improving then the vets are probably your best players anyway.
I mean, Donte Moncrief probably learned from Reggie too. How'd that turn out?

Hilton is good because Hilton is good. Just like Campbell will be good if Campbell is good. The veteran mentorship is totally secondary to that, which was my point.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 12:38 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

The place I would like to see a veteran is in the secondary. Eric Berry can still play and would give a veteran presence. I'd like to see us kick those tires.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:20 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
This isn't football, but it's about veterans and what they know.

There's a young man (compared to me) who left our town and went to the US Coast Guard Academy. He's a Commander now, and has moved through the ranks and posts. I asked him once, who had the biggest impact on his career. He said it was the old senior chief Petty officer who was finishing up his career at the Academy. He knew everything about seamanship, tradtion, and the stuff that keeps young officers from becoming casulties. Institutional knowledge of 35 years in the USCG. My young friend said,"you got the message, that you had better measure up and be worthy to command that man at sea."

Now football isn't nearly as serious, but it's the same thing in many institutions. The old wise minds who can guild the young kids so they have a chance at a successful career.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Pez (05-22-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 07:41 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

This isn’t football.

But I once talked to a kid that got hired for a job, worked hard at the job, and learned how to excel at his job because that was what he was paid to do.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:56 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
This isn’t football.

But I once talked to a kid that got hired for a job, worked hard at the job, and learned how to excel at his job because that was what he was paid to do.
Yeah, you had nothing to offer, nothing new there.