ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-06-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
Haven't seen him but have heard he drops a lot of balls?
They’re his biggest knock to be sure but then again that’s the case for Ebron as well. Willing to accept that with it also comes with.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:52 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,610 Times in 2,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
Haven't seen him but have heard he drops a lot of balls?
He wouldn’t be my first choice, but it depends what round your talking. We need sure a handed guy that can move the chains on third down. This is a really deep draft at WR.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:09 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Listened to your free agency pod the other day and really liked your points about Humphries. Would you rather have Williams at $12MM/year or Humphries at $8MM/year?

I think I'd rather go with Humphries and grab one of the bigger receivers at 59 or 90. I think you can get what Williams would've gotten you without paying the extra $$.
A bigger Y receiver on the outside will need more seasoning as a rookie. I think Williams could come in right away and have more impact. We could grab a late round slot receiver in the draft like Isabella, McLaurin, Godwin, or Penny Hart.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 03:13 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
A bigger Y receiver on the outside will need more seasoning as a rookie. I think Williams could come in right away and have more impact. We could grab a late round slot receiver in the draft like Isabella, McLaurin, Godwin, or Penny Hart.
Yeah, I think this is reasonable as well. A lot of options available to Ballard, so I doubt he overpays for a free agent.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:17 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Yeah, I think this is reasonable as well. A lot of options available to Ballard, so I doubt he overpays for a free agent.
The 4 million difference is really not important to us. We have so much space it won't impact anything and by the time we will need the space for some new contracts Williams contract will be up. It should be who will have the bigger impact. And we run so much 12 personnel (2 TE sets), how much will a slot receiver be on the field?

Last edited by Chromeburn; 03-06-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
The 4 million difference is really not important to us. We have so much space it won't impact anything and by the time we will need the space for some new contracts Williams contract will be up. It should be who will have the bigger impact. And we run so much 2 TE sets, how much will a slot receiver be on the field?
What in Chris Ballard's tenure leads you to believe he thinks the same way?
Old 03-06-2019, 03:49 PM
Post whore

Quote:
What in Chris Ballard's tenure leads you to believe he thinks the same way?
Seeing that we can win now and projecting future cap investments. We have another deal for Luck coming up, and figuring out what to do with Castonzo, but we aren't in cap trouble now or in the future. Any deal we make now will be done by the time this past draft class needs new contracts. I don't think he will overspend a ton, but 4 million is nothing we should sweat. Especially if it front loaded.

I expect he will try to sign a few top guys like he has the past two years. The difference is Luck is healthy and guys will listen. Then he will try to find up and comers for a good bargain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 05:01 PM

I would not be happy with this signing at $12M a year for a WR

Would rather just wait and see how the current group and draft goes than do that.

Better to spend that money on the D.

This seems more like the type of signing Grigson would have made. The thinking of "We are on the cusp and have lots of cap space, so lets buy up whatever potential talent at whatever questionable price" is what he did.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrSpaceman For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (03-06-2019), Indiana V2 (03-07-2019), VeveJones007 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Seeing that we can win now and projecting future cap investments. We have another deal for Luck coming up, and figuring out what to do with Castonzo, but we aren't in cap trouble now or in the future. Any deal we make now will be done by the time this past draft class needs new contracts. I don't think he will overspend a ton, but 4 million is nothing we should sweat. Especially if it front loaded.

I expect he will try to sign a few top guys like he has the past two years. The difference is Luck is healthy and guys will listen. Then he will try to find up and comers for a good bargain.
Your reasoning is solid, but I think this is more what you would do rather than what Ballard will do. While I agree that he'll be more active, I expect him to stay consistent with what he's said: he places a value on a player and won't go over it. I don't think there's any way he puts a $12MM/year value on Williams.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:53 PM

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,198 Posts

Quote:
What about Hunter Renfrow in the slot?