ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-01-2019, 11:41 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,641 Times in 950 Posts

LB Bobby Okereke, Stanford

Strengths
Reads the play very well and usually puts himself in good position by diagnosing the play. Often gets downhill quickly against the run and regularly demonstrates sideline to sideline speed. Often shot gaps and made plays in the backfield against the run. Excels at delayed blitzes and will put pressure on the QB from a spy position or a delayed blitz. Excels in coverage, both man and zone. Stanford regularly matched him up with receivers and he was rarely beat. Also regularly showed ability to run with backs and tight ends. Reads the QB's eyes in zone and puts himself in position to make plays regularly. Helped to create several coverage sacks for Stanford.

Weaknesses
Needs to improve play strength and use length better to shed blocks. When blocked, struggles to shed and gets pushed back. Easily washed out of plays by blocking far too often, allowing large running lanes to open. Misses far too many open field tackles, at times because of struggling to shed blocks. Occasionally bites on play fakes and takes a false step forward.

Other
Team Captain. All PAC 12 Honorable Mention 2017 and 2018

Player Comparison
Eric Kendricks
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 11:58 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
I really don’t see the hype with Banogu.
I didn't like where he was picked. I thought 49 was a couple rounds early for him. He's got traits, though, so maybe the coaches can turn him into a player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Would a more athletic Marcus Washington comparison be fair for Banogu?
It would certainly be a more likely comp than mine, but my comps are based on best case scenario. I see Banogu's ceiling as T.J. Watt, so a more athletic Marcus Washington is a much more likely outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
In your view, what separates him from Phil Dorsett (another guy with blazing speed) and makes him more Tyreek Hill (hopefully minus the horrific domestic abuse) and less Phil Dorsett (unable to translate any of the similarly game breaking speed)?
Honestly? Ability to catch the ball, elusiveness, and tackle breaking ability. Dorsett had good straight line speed, but he was small and didn't make defenders miss. Campbell plays fast, but he can also elude or run over defenders when he needs to. Also bear in mind Hill is the best case scenario comp. And to be clear, that's on the field only. Campbell is an incredibly high character guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I like a Percy Harvin comp for him myself.
So does NFL.com. I try not to use the same comps as they do. I also don't really like comparing Campbell to Hill or Harvin because he's nothing like them off the field and could even be a team leader in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Without the migraines.
So much this. Campbell is only potentially like Hill on the field. Can't stress that enough.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:48 PM

Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
It would certainly be a more likely comp than mine, but my comps are based on best case scenario. I see Banogu's ceiling as T.J. Watt, so a more athletic Marcus Washington is a much more likely outcome.
I always thought that Marcus Washington was a pretty good player for us especially from the pass rush standpoint.

I think the reason the Colts moved on from Marcus Washington and moved Thornton to SAM for 2004 was because Washington offered nothing in pass defense.

If Banogu can produce like Washington, and give us decent play in pass defense, then it's a good pick.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
This isn't Phillip Dorsett.
I'm aware. In fact, I even said this:

Quote:
I like a Percy Harvin comp for him myself.
And this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Without the migraines.
Right after he was drafted last Friday night:

Quote:
Campbell was my favorite WR besides the Ole Miss boys.

He could be Percy Harvin without the migraines. The packages we could make with Hines/Campbell could be downright scary.
http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/show...244#post118244

So yes, I'm well aware that he isn't Phil Dorsett, nor do I expect him to be.

Just because I ask a question, doesn't mean I agree with it.

Since Dam had taken the time to do a deep dive into Campbell, I was curious of what characteristics he might see in Campbell specifically. I have my own ideas (which it appears Dam largely confirmed) but I can't claim to have studied him extensively (as I alluded to in the above post, I'm an Ole Miss fan and I watch mostly SEC football. Dam I believe is a Purdue fan so I think he's watched more Campbell than I have in addition to the fact that he did a deep dive tape study).
Old 05-02-2019, 08:20 PM

Thanked 1,121 Times in 624 Posts

I recently watched the Ohio State-TCU game on ESPNU to see Parris Campbell & Ben Banogu. Campbell displayed his blazzing speed. When he gets behind the D or beats his defender by a step, forget it, the guy is gone. Watching Banogu, & I realize it was just one game, he didn't impress that much. Seemed to be easily blocked when going head on & was always a tick late getting to qb Haskins. He did have one nice pressure that resuted in an incomplete pass because Haskins had to get rid of the ball early.

Not that it matters but Dre'Mont Jones looked very good. I still think he would have been a great fit.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dewey 5 For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (05-03-2019), smitty46953 (05-03-2019), VeveJones007 (05-03-2019), YDFL Commish (05-02-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 12:44 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey 5 View Post
I recently watched the Ohio State-TCU game on ESPNU to see Parris Campbell & Ben Banogu. Campbell displayed his blazzing speed. When he gets behind the D or beats his defender by a step, forget it, the guy is gone. Watching Banogu, & I realize it was just one game, he didn't impress that much. Seemed to be easily blocked when going head on & was always a tick late getting to qb Haskins. He did have one nice pressure that resuted in an incomplete pass because Haskins had to get rid of the ball early.

Not that it matters but Dre'Mont Jones looked very good. I still think he would have been a great fit.
I've heard that game was Banogu's worst tape.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 09:22 AM

Which one of you guys is Chris?

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/5/...hillip-dorsett
The Following User Says Thank You to Discflinger For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 08:37 PM

Thanked 1,121 Times in 624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I've heard that game was Banogu's worst tape.
Could have been. Ohio State isn't a walk in the park but he'll be facing better competition every Sunday in the NFL. We should not be to harsh on this guy in year one. I get that we live in the right now world but there is nothing wrong with a player developing & getting acclimated to NFL football. Nothing at all,
Old 05-04-2019, 01:16 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,681 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
I'm aware. In fact, I even said this:

And this:

Right after he was drafted last Friday night:

http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/show...244#post118244

So yes, I'm well aware that he isn't Phil Dorsett, nor do I expect him to be.

Just because I ask a question, doesn't mean I agree with it.

Since Dam had taken the time to do a deep dive into Campbell, I was curious of what characteristics he might see in Campbell specifically. I have my own ideas (which it appears Dam largely confirmed) but I can't claim to have studied him extensively (as I alluded to in the above post, I'm an Ole Miss fan and I watch mostly SEC football. Dam I believe is a Purdue fan so I think he's watched more Campbell than I have in addition to the fact that he did a deep dive tape study).
I think he will be ok. Dorsett was soft. He just didn’t work enough to get open and get yac. You can tell Campbell was a rb before. He runs like it after the catch. Also he can contribute right away in the short passing game and screen game, sweeps etc. As he develops as a receiver in other areas.

One thing that concerned me was he only caught one pass over 20 yards. But he was so ridiculously effective in his role, they didn’t need him to, anyway, he is a few years away from being a complete receiver. But he should have an impact on certain plays right away.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:04 AM

Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,216 Posts

Quote:
I think he will be ok. Dorsett was soft. He just didn’t work enough to get open and get yac. You can tell Campbell was a rb before. He runs like it after the catch. Also he can contribute right away in the short passing game and screen game, sweeps etc. As he develops as a receiver in other areas.

One thing that concerned me was he only caught one pass over 20 yards. But he was so ridiculously effective in his role, they didn’t need him to, anyway, he is a few years away from being a complete receiver. But he should have an impact on certain plays right away.
Urban Meyer's offenses rarely take shots down the field. How many NFL QB's have his offenses produced?

Alex Smith, and it took years for him to develop and has never been known as a downfield passer.

Campbell will not have a problem getting open deep.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (05-04-2019), Luck4Reich (05-04-2019)