ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-28-2019, 03:20 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,624 Times in 2,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
The colts are on the edge of being a contender. The first round pick needs to play NOW. Why would the mess with the O line when it was fine when Kelly was healthy. They payed gowlinski starter money, they arent moving smith inside. If they take an o line guy, it should be a center.

They need more talent at wr, de, dbs. Right now.
You take what the draft gives you. Draft the best player you can because that guy will have a better impact on your team and in a game than an average player at a need position. I would say QB is the exception to that rule.

Also I was talking about tackle, not center. However Kelly has been hurt s lot so a late round pick on center would not be crazy.

But if you draft a lower talented guy at a position of need doesn’t just mean that guy will have an impact. This is a decent tackle class, if a guy is there and he is better than other options then you take him. It’s just a matter of weighing position and importance. You can always fill with FA afterwards if you need too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Puck (03-30-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 05:12 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
You take what the draft gives you. Draft the best player you can because that guy will have a better impact on your team and in a game than an average player at a need position. I would say QB is the exception to that rule.

Also I was talking about tackle, not center. However Kelly has been hurt s lot so a late round pick on center would not be crazy.

But if you draft a lower talented guy at a position of need doesn’t just mean that guy will have an impact. This is a decent tackle class, if a guy is there and he is better than other options then you take him. It’s just a matter of weighing position and importance. You can always fill with FA afterwards if you need too.
I'm not arguing that. The D needs help, more than the O needs a backup L tackle
Old 03-28-2019, 06:39 PM

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,204 Posts

Quote:
It really just depends on what the Colts plans are for re-signing AC and his desire to re-sign.

I would hope that AC his agent and Ballard have a clear understanding of what each party wants.

If the possibility of AC being a Colt in 2020 is less than say 60% I believe you take a quality LT if one is available.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:43 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
It really just depends on what the Colts plans are for re-signing AC and his desire to re-sign.

I would hope that AC his agent and Ballard have a clear understanding of what each party wants.

If the possibility of AC being a Colt in 2020 is less than say 60% I believe you take a quality LT if one is available.
WHY would he leave? He's got a boat load of money (he should). Pay him what he is worth. Did you see the first 4 games this year? After that, the team could run LEFT ALL FUCKING DAY LONG.

When did this team turn around? When Luck started to feel it and Costanzo had his back on the left side.

Anyone who thinks ______ played well enough at L tackle needs their head examined.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
WHY would he leave? He's got a boat load of money (he should). Pay him what he is worth. Did you see the first 4 games this year? After that, the team could run LEFT ALL FUCKING DAY LONG.

When did this team turn around? When Luck started to feel it and Costanzo had his back on the left side.

Anyone who thinks ______ played well enough at L tackle needs their head examined.
You are missing my point entirely. It is becoming more and more common for players to retire in their early 30's. Unless I've missed something, we don't know Castonzo's plans.

Maybe they just can't come to terms? If I'm Ballard I want to know where we stand now...before the draft.

Remember Tarik Glenn's sudden retirement and ended up with Tony Ugoh?

I don't want to relive that again.

Last edited by YDFL Commish; 03-28-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:59 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
You are missing my point entirely. It is becoming more and more common for players to retire in their early 30's. Unless I've missed something, we don't know Castonzo's plans.

Maybe they just can't come to terms? If I'm Ballard I want to know where we stand now...before the draft.

Remember Tarik Glenn's sudden retirement and ended up with Tony Ugoh?

I don't want to relive that again.
Thats easy, offer him an extention. Why not? Wait, I’m calling ballard right now....................... ok, I’m leaving a message, he cant come to the phone right now.

Are you serious? Hes not retiring, did you see what NY gave Solder last year? The Colts have sure thing and he has leverage. Drating __________ is not a sure thing. The Colts need a pass rusher and you think they should draft a tackle? Trade Up. Make a deal and move up but drafting for two years from now is dumb. The Colts have cash, go give Costanzo some.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:

So AC being injured and out for four games and you don’t want a tackle even though he’s pressing his 30s But you would want a center to replace young C who is the second best lineman on the team?

Not following the logic. LT is one of the hardest position to fill on a team. Ranks up there 2b with QB being number one and pass rush 2a
Chromeburn (03-28-2019), Luck4Reich (03-28-2019), YDFL Commish (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Thats easy, offer him an extention. Why not? Wait, I’m calling ballard right now....................... ok, I’m leaving a message, he cant come to the phone right now.

Are you serious? Hes not retiring, did you see what NY gave Solder last year? The Colts have sure thing and he has leverage. Drating __________ is not a sure thing. The Colts need a pass rusher and you think they should draft a tackle? Trade Up. Make a deal and move up but drafting for two years from now is dumb. The Colts have cash, go give Costanzo some.
I'm trying to explain that it's not that simple. Do you know what Castonzo and his family want their lives to be over the next 5 years?

I don't. Money may not mean that much to him. If you know his intentions, please share.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:37 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
So AC being injured and out for four games and you don’t want a tackle even though he’s pressing his 30s But you would want a center to replace young C who is the second best lineman on the team?

Not following the logic. LT is one of the hardest position to fill on a team. Ranks up there 2b with QB being number one and pass rush 2a
They have a guy who played lt on the roster right now. You have talked yourself into a situation that doesnt exist. You cant plan for every disaster.

Colts want to go to the super bowl, they need to stop great qbs by knocking them down. They need a pass rusher, de, dt or lb to attack the other teams best player.

Your logic is that Costanzo is leaving, with no evidence that it will happen.

You have no logic at all. And Im done. Ive got other things to do.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:50 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,624 Times in 2,028 Posts

Quote:
Would not be a backup next year, he would be Castonzo's replacement. It's drafting for a future opening, Polian did it a lot. Everyone wants starting D, but don't reach for it, if it isn't there.

I believe Castonzo will be 31 next season. He is starting to get up there. They have several free agents coming up, I doubt they sign all of them. They will replace some through the draft. Maybe they want another contract out of him, maybe they want to go younger.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 03-28-2019 at 09:53 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Puck (03-30-2019), YDFL Commish (03-29-2019)