ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 12-21-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Fuck Bert Jones
Well, depending on who's doing the fucking, I'm up with that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bertjones For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (12-21-2018), Puck (12-22-2018), Racehorse (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Aright you old fuckers, my time with the Colts didn't start until Indy. So I dug around the youtubes and found some highlightds

His release on this pass is not like anything I have ever seen, compact, powerful, the ball comes out almost next to his ear. He says he had 4 broken ribs at this time.
In my time I've seen just about all the great Quarterbacks play. As far as
arm strength/velocity the only other QB I can think of in his zip code was
Elway. That was 3 years of magic from '75 to 77'.
The Following User Says Thank You to bertjones For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 07:55 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertjones View Post

In my time I've seen just about all the great Quarterbacks play. As far as arm strength/velocity the only other QB I can think of in his zip code was Elway. That was 3 years of magic from '75 to 77.'

o

Plus an additional 2 solid seasons of quarterbacking in 1980 and 1981, after having recovered from consecutive injury-plagued seasons in 1978 and 1979.

Many presume that Bert's shoulder injuries spelled the end of his career ...... they didn't. A ruptured disc in his neck while playing for the Rams in 1982 is what ended his career.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 12-21-2018, 10:35 PM

Thanked 1,550 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

Plus an additional 2 solid seasons of quarterbacking in 1980 and 1981, after having recovered from consecutive injury-plagued seasons in 1978 and 1979.

Many presume that Bert's shoulder injuries spelled the end of his career ...... they didn't. A ruptured disc in his neck while playing for the Rams in 1982 is what ended his career.

o
Technically, true.

However he was no where near to the same after the injuries that limited him to seven games in 1978 and 1979. His stats for a '80 and '81 look similar to his earliest years, but if you saw him, it wasn't the same. Neither was the team.

In fact, it's not a huge stretch to say that if Jones was healthy straight through, and Drunk Bob doesn't start selling off some of the team defense, then the Colts never leave Baltimore.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:02 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

o

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMugwump View Post

Technically, true.

However he was no where near to the same after the injuries that limited him to seven games in 1978 and 1979. His stats for a '80 and '81 look similar to his earliest years, but if you saw him, it wasn't the same. Neither was the team.

In fact, it's not a huge stretch to say that if Jones was healthy straight through, and Drunk Bob doesn't start selling off some of the team defense, then the Colts never leave Baltimore.

o

I completely disagree.

I believe that Jones was every bit as good in those 2 seasons as he was previously, but the teams around him were not as good (especially the 1981 team.)

Jones almost single-handedly had the Colts in playoff contention throughout the 1980 season, as they were 7-6 after 13 games, including a 2-game sweep over the eventual division champion Buffalo Bills. He engineered what should have gone down as one of the greatest comebacks ever in the 14th game of that 1980 season against the Bengals. The Colts were losing by a score of 31-6 at the start of the 4th quarter. Jones engineered 4 straight touchdowns to give the Colts a 33-31 lead. The referees then bailed out the Bengals by making a horrible pass interference call, which allowed them to keep driving and set up for what was the game-winning field goal.

Instead of an 8-6 record and one of the greatest comebacks in pro football history, the Colts were robbed by the zebras and dropped to 7-7, which eliminated them from playoff contention. With all of the wind taken out of their sails by that controversial loss, the Colts dropped the final 2 games of the season to finish at 7-9.

The following season (1981), even Jones could not rescue what was an historically bad Colts team that finished at 2-14 overall, with both wins coming against the Patriots on the first and last games of the season. In both of those season, Jones had over 3,000 yards passing at a time when doing so was still a considerable achievement.

8 years after his career ended, Bobby Beathard of the Chargers actually tried to talk Jones out of retirement at the age of 39 when he saw Bert win a Quarterback Challenge passing contest (Jones was still heaving the ball 75 yards while he was pushing 40.) Jones declined after consulting with doctors who confirmed what he was told 7 and-a-half years earlier, which was that he was risking serious injury (possibly paralysis) if he tried to return.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
TheMugwump (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 10:41 AM

Thanked 1,550 Times in 883 Posts

Yeah. Well, that's just your opinion man.

And what the hell do I know? I was really young then, unlike some, apparently. And my impression and memory tells me that he was not the same when he came back.

Still loved him and how he played, though.

And yeah, the team around him was getting weaker by the year. Something, something Joe Thomas, something something Bob Irsay...

Of course, we could argue back and forth with increasingly longer posts about this. That seems to be a thing.

I vote not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMugwump For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (12-22-2018), Racehorse (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 11:25 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

His career wasn't what is should have been for whatever reason. He was, however, amazing to watch While his arm may not have had any more power than Elway or a young Bradshaw for that matter, his long balls certainly had way much less air under them than anyone I have ever seen then or since. It was amazing that he could get his timing right with so little room for error (the ball just GOT there with little time for the receiver to adjust) Watching this offensive line destroy and end up on top of people is just as amazing to me. If we don't get injuries, this could be years of enjoyment.

Last edited by Oldcolt; 12-22-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:06 PM

If my memory is correct, wasn't one of those wins in '81 played in a monsoon, and didn't Joe Washington set a record for catching a TD lpass, running for a TD, throwing a TD pass and returning a punt for a TD ?
Old 12-22-2018, 12:08 PM

Also, only 2 wins were against the fuckin Patriots...........Priceless!!
Old 12-22-2018, 02:04 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post

Also, only 2 wins were against the fuckin Patriots ........... Priceless !!!

o

The Patriots also went 2-14 that season. They were a considerably better team than were the Colts, as most of their losses were close. They went 10-6 the previous season (1980), and went to the playoffs with a record of 5-4 in the strike-shortened 1982 season the following year.

The Colts, on the other hand, went 0-8-1 in the following strike-shortened season of 1982.

o