ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 03-23-2017, 01:54 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Per Pro Football Rumors

New Colts GM Chris Ballard may want to shake up the scouting core, but league sources tell JLC that he may have to wait a year since the evaluators that are already there have more time to go on their contracts. Still, Ballard badly wants to poach Seahawks executive Ed Dodds. If Indy can land him, he’ll probably get a promotion over his current title. Jets director of college scouting Rex Hogan is also a Ballard target, but JLC hears that he still has a good amount of time left on his contract and might be harder to pry away.

Bears exec Morocco Brown, who has history with Ballard, could be a possible candidate for the Colts and 49ers. JLC notes that Brown had a solid relationship with new SF coach Kyle Shanahan in D.C.
This is what people don't understand when they wanted Ballard to spend heavily in UFA this offseason. Ballard isn't going to have his people in place until next offseason (at the earliest), so going crazy in 2017 would be very risky. Couple that with a lame-duck coaching staff, and you have a lot of low-risk signings with nothing guaranteed on the books for 2018.

BTW, "low-risk" does NOT equal "limited upside." I think we can all agree that there are some players brought in who could play valuable roles on the team this season.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
sherck (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 06:09 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
This is what people don't understand when they wanted Ballard to spend heavily in UFA this offseason. Ballard isn't going to have his people in place until next offseason (at the earliest), so going crazy in 2017 would be very risky. Couple that with a lame-duck coaching staff, and you have a lot of low-risk signings with nothing guaranteed on the books for 2018.

BTW, "low-risk" does NOT equal "limited upside." I think we can all agree that there are some players brought in who could play valuable roles on the team this season.
no. i would think most people understand ballard is using grigson's guys. that has nothing to do with who we bring in.

are we really going to blame this free agent class and the draft class on grigson as well?

come on now. this is his show.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:51 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
no. i would think most people understand ballard is using grigson's guys. that has nothing to do with who we bring in.

are we really going to blame this free agent class and the draft class on grigson as well?

come on now. this is his show.
Do you know for a fact that Ballard wants to run a 3-4 going forward? Does he even know, or will he adapt based on the coaching staff he brings in next offseason?

Why would you go crazy in free agency if questions like that are still up in the air? Better to sign decent stop-gap players and keep your powder dry for next offseason when you have your scouts and coaching staff in place.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Do you know for a fact that Ballard wants to run a 3-4 going forward? Does he even know, or will he adapt based on the coaching staff he brings in next offseason?

Why would you go crazy in free agency if questions like that are still up in the air? Better to sign decent stop-gap players and keep your powder dry for next offseason when you have your scouts and coaching staff in place.
I heard an interview somewhere, he is a 3-4 guy. So he is building his team and will be able to select a coach to fit. I actually think Pags may do well this yr.

I also heard Monachino interviiew and he mentioned the communication between the GM and coaches has been stellar. He asks the coaches what they want then they discuss and goes get it.