ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 04-20-2017, 06:53 AM

Default Offensive Line Work Ethic

Interesting take from Andrew Luck and Chris Ballard on the teams O-line.

“There’s seven or eight of them that have been here consistently working out,” Luck says of the line working together in the weeks prior to the start of the team’s offseason program. “It’s nice for me because it meant I didn’t have to be alone in the weight room and training room.

“They’ve been working their butts off. I think they understand to be an elite unit they have to do it together and work really, really, really hard and they are doing that. They are on their way. They are earning that right to be confident when they step on the field.”

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/...8-877622673dbb

Last edited by Wyatt; 04-20-2017 at 07:41 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wyatt For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (04-21-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 07:30 AM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts

I wonder if Schwenke has been part of that group?

Drafted by the Colts without playing on any other NFL team:
Castonzo = Going into 7th year on team (2011 1st round draft pick)
Mewhort = Going into 4th year on team (2014 2nd round draft pick)
Good = Going into 3rd year on team (2015 7th round draft pick)
Kelly = Going into 2nd year on team (2016 1st round draft pick)
Clark = Going into 2nd year on team (2016 3rd round draft pick)
Haeg = Going into 2nd year on team (2016 5th round draft pick)
Blythe = Going into 2nd year on team (2016 7th round draft pick)
Redmond = Going into 2nd year on team (2016 UDFA)
Vujnovich = Going into 2nd year on team (2016 UDFA)
Cage = Going into 2nd year on team (2016 UDFA)

O-Line players NOT drafted by Colts:
Schwenke = 1st year with Colts; 4 years previously with TEN (2013 4th round draft pick)
Cooper = 1st year with Colts; 1 year previously with SF (2016 5th round draft pick)

You know what one of the common traits of all of these guys are?

NONE of them are married! Yeah, they have all the time in the world to just hang out, pump iron, eat a ton of carbs and work on the playbook.

I am honestly pumped about how this group should look this season. Between what we saw on the field by the end of the year and the stories about Philbin's success as an O-Line coach, I really don't think we need to spend high draft picks on O-Line. I am firmly convinced that Clark will settle at RT and that the best of Haeg, Good or Schwenke will win RG and be good with a couple of experienced depth guys.

Cheers,

Last edited by sherck; 04-20-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:11 PM

Thanked 4,282 Times in 1,750 Posts

hopefully AC puts a little weight on. the dude looked a bit skinny last year to me
Old 04-21-2017, 06:23 AM

Not sure what to read into this, if anything, but Matt Overton posted this to twitter last night.

@MattOverton_LS 9h9 hours ago
Zero emotion, zero leadership right now.

EDIT:
Nevermind, pretty sure he's talking about the epic meltdown at Bankers Life

Last edited by Wyatt; 04-21-2017 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:24 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,608 Times in 2,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Not sure what to read into this, if anything, but Matt Overton posted this to twitter last night.

@MattOverton_LS 9h9 hours ago
Zero emotion, zero leadership right now.

EDIT:
Nevermind, pretty sure he's talking about the epic meltdown at Bankers Life
Yeah that was brutal
Old 05-10-2017, 02:05 PM

Another member of Grigson's 2013 Draft Class bites the dust.

Hugh Thornton has announced his retirement.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/b...2-2bad9bf40735
Old 05-11-2017, 10:09 AM

Thanked 1,655 Times in 794 Posts

I saw that Thornton had retired but somehow I missed that he had signed with Atlanta!
Old 05-18-2017, 10:27 AM

A bit of a puff piece about the O-Line during OTAs but the one thing that stood out to me is that Philbin is pleased. Located here.

Take it for what it is worth but I was impressed by his coaching last season and hope that year 2 of the system works even more efficiently. O-linemen in camp:

7th year = Anthony Castonzo (still looks skinny in photo)

5th year = Brian Schwenke

4th year = Jack Mewhort

3rd year = Denzelle Good

2nd year = Ryan Kelly, Joe Haeg, Le'Raven Clark, Cooper Fahn, Blake Muir, Jeremy Vujnovich, Adam Redmond

1st year = Zach Banner, Deyshawn Bond, Jerry Ugokwe, Andrew Wylie

Bond Draft Profile: "Four-year starter with a combination of core strength and foot quickness that lends itself to success on the interior. Smaller than desired with below average length and that could hurt his draft stock, but he's a plus in pass protection and decent in run blocking and could become an eventual starter with time."

Ugokwe Draft Profile: "Didn't pick up the sport until his junior year of high school but has shown rapid growth over the last three years. While there is a lack of consistency in his technique at this time, he has the traits and potential that should provide offensive line coaches with enough ammo to correct his issues. If he can play with more consistent bend and a wider base, he has interesting developmental potential, but he will likely require a patient approach."

Here is an article on Andrew Wylie. HUGE jump in competition from Eastern Michigan.....however:
Quote:
“I’m not going to lie to you, I was pretty surprised I didn’t get a Combine invite,” he said. “I did know it was going to be a long shot, being an offensive lineman from the MAC. I really wanted that Combine invite because my numbers, I would have been first place in a lot of different categories for offensive linemen. I thought that would help me out. But still got overlooked a little bit.”

His numbers are impressive. Wylie’s 34-inch vertical would have ranked first for O-linemen at the Combine by two full inches. His 9-foot-7-inch broad jump would have tied for first. His 4.5-second 20-yard shuttle would have ranked second, along with a 7.3-second three-cone time.
44 game starter in college with impressive athleticism. I am keeping an eye out for him.

Interesting tidbit; only two folks have ever come out of his small, rural high school and been on an NFL team roster. Andrew Wylie.......and Howard Mudd.

I like the precedence. I am pulling for this kid.

Cheers,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Pez (05-18-2017), Spike (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 08:32 AM

From Peter King's MMQB today:

15th rated OT via PFF = Anthony Castonzo (6th season)
19th rated OC via PFF = Ryan Kelly (rookie)
25th rated OG via PFF = Jack Mewhort (3rd season)
39th rated OT via PFF = Joe Haeg (rookie)
68th rated OG via PFF = Denzelle Good (2nd season)
Not rated OT via PFF = Le'Raven Clark (rookie)

And he uses these ratings as a negative against the team as to why we did not do more to upgrade the offensive line.

Seriously?

A top half rated left OT in a year that many of us felt like was a "down" year for him? That is cause for concern? More than half the teams in the league would LOVE to have that problem.

A nearly top half rated OC as a rookie? 2nd year leap? Full off-season workout?

64 starting OG spots in the NFL on a weekly basis and one of our OGs ended up being ranked in almost the top 1/3 while the other one who is a rookie (Haeg) ends up being rated just below the half mark at the harder OT position. Again, with a 2nd year leap by Haeg and the potenetial injury rebound of Mewhort, both could easily be in the top 32 of OGs this season.

Clark was not mentioned in his "evaluation" which goes to show that he was really not paying attention. I would love to know where his last three games ranked as an OT because I though he had progressed greatly and looked good.

I don't know. Perhaps I am drinking the Kool-Aid but I just don't know how you can use those kinds of rankings to look at an offensive line that is somehow not getting better; especially since 2 of their rated players were rookies and one was a 2nd year player (Good).

I also wonder where Schwenke was ranked in 2016 at either OC or OG. Apparently, he does not factor in either.

This is why "national" sports writers kill me. So few actually follow what is happening on the teams.

Cheers,
The Following User Says Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:10 AM

Thanked 1,655 Times in 794 Posts

Honestly, I just can hardly think it's the much the line's fault anymore, it's this terrible offensive scheme. 7 step drops, never any quick hitters or fast-timing plays, not hardly any play-action, just all big chunk plays all day and a few ill-advised running attempts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
Brylok (05-23-2017), Butter (05-22-2017), Coltsalr (05-23-2017)