ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-09-2018, 10:49 PM
Puck's Avatar
Puck Puck is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 6,076
Thanks: 817
Thanked 1,014 Times in 544 Posts
Default Eberflus

1st of all I am not calling for his firing.....

Wondering since he was not a Reich hire that unless he does a stellar job he will be replaced and Frank brings in his own guy?

I am wondering about the draft picks on the D side. Were they picked specifically for a T2 D? I dont see us going back to a 3-4 but maybe not T2

If not.... next yrs draft and FA will have to produce 2 pass rushers, a 3 Tech and 2 more cornerbacks. I dont see how we get 5 starters in the draft so he is going to have to use FA to fill in the gaps somehow.

All this to say is this why he didn't spend on the D this yr? He is not counting on Eberflus being here and has spoken to Reich about what he wants to do next yr. Reich agreed to keep him this yr because it was so late in the hiring process and has the option to chose his guy next yr. Much like Ballard and Pagshit

Just a thought
__________________
If you're not a Freak then you're just on the bandwagon
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-09-2018, 11:00 PM
Dewey 5 Dewey 5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,773
Thanks: 685
Thanked 333 Times in 171 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
1st of all I am not calling for his firing.....

Wondering since he was not a Reich hire that unless he does a stellar job he will be replaced and Frank brings in his own guy?

I am wondering about the draft picks on the D side. Were they picked specifically for a T2 D? I dont see us going back to a 3-4 but maybe not T2

If not.... next yrs draft and FA will have to produce 2 pass rushers, a 3 Tech and 2 more cornerbacks. I dont see how we get 5 starters in the draft so he is going to have to use FA to fill in the gaps somehow.

All this to say is this why he didn't spend on the D this yr? He is not counting on Eberflus being here and has spoken to Reich about what he wants to do next yr. Reich agreed to keep him this yr because it was so late in the hiring process and has the option to chose his guy next yr. Much like Ballard and Pagshit

Just a thought
Dave DeGuglielmo is the coach that should be under the microscope. He was McDaniels hand picked guy & he wasn't that good in NE or Miami. I wouldn't be surprised if Reich brings in his own O-line coach next year.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dewey 5 For This Useful Post:
bertjones (09-10-2018), Chromeburn (01-16-2019), Coltsalr (09-09-2018), Spike (09-10-2018)
  #3  
Old 09-09-2018, 11:03 PM
Puck's Avatar
Puck Puck is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 6,076
Thanks: 817
Thanked 1,014 Times in 544 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey 5 View Post
Dave DeGuglielmo is the coach that should be under the microscope. He was McDaniels hand picked guy & he wasn't that good in NE or Miami. I wouldn't be surprised if Reich brings in his own O-line coach next year.
Agreed. And I shouldnít have excluded the other coaches. But especially the coordinators But Reich is calling plays so the OC is running his offense. So he may be safer than Eberflus
__________________
If you're not a Freak then you're just on the bandwagon
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-09-2018, 11:09 PM
omahacolt's Avatar
omahacolt omahacolt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,687
Thanks: 732
Thanked 1,960 Times in 879 Posts
Default

Ballard seems intent on a 43 defense.

I am not sold on us running a Tampa 2. I know I saw some man on the outside. Which could have been a cover 3.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-09-2018, 11:36 PM
FatDT's Avatar
FatDT FatDT is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4,252
Thanks: 308
Thanked 1,096 Times in 497 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Ballard seems intent on a 43 defense.

I am not sold on us running a Tampa 2. I know I saw some man on the outside. Which could have been a cover 3.
I think they run a fair bit of cover 3 in Dallas.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-10-2018, 07:20 AM
rm1369 rm1369 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 367
Thanks: 102
Thanked 157 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post

All this to say is this why he didn't spend on the D this yr? He is not counting on Eberflus being here and has spoken to Reich about what he wants to do next yr. Reich agreed to keep him this yr because it was so late in the hiring process and has the option to chose his guy next yr. Much like Ballard and Pagshit

Just a thought
I certainly hope not. As down as Iíve been on Ballardís rebuild this is a level of dysfunction even I donít want to believe is possible. I think Ballard is simply telling the truth when he talks about stacking 3-4 successful drafts back to back. Free agency will be used sparingly to supplement the draft with bargains and team flexible contracts.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-10-2018, 07:54 AM
DrSpaceman DrSpaceman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,346
Thanks: 209
Thanked 673 Times in 310 Posts
Default

Its one game, first of all. Give the guy some time.

The D did produce two turnovers, one that should have resulted in an easy TD by the offense, but they did nothing with it.

I am not thrilled with the Tampa 2 but the D wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. The biggest disappointment is the run D, still awful

And Wilson sucks. Wasted second rounder. Yes that was a cheap penalty on him at the end of the half, but he got beat on that play pretty bad and he is lucky it wasn't a catch anyway.

Then the Green TD, I don't know how you let that happen in this type of D, supposed to keep things in front of you and not let the WR run right by you.

If this scheme continues though obviously have to generate pass rush somehow. Otherwise the Tampa 2 is just a slow death normally for the D
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-10-2018, 08:14 AM
Hoopsdoc Hoopsdoc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 918
Thanks: 215
Thanked 304 Times in 164 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
Its one game, first of all. Give the guy some time.

The D did produce two turnovers, one that should have resulted in an easy TD by the offense, but they did nothing with it.

I am not thrilled with the Tampa 2 but the D wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. The biggest disappointment is the run D, still awful

And Wilson sucks. Wasted second rounder. Yes that was a cheap penalty on him at the end of the half, but he got beat on that play pretty bad and he is lucky it wasn't a catch anyway.

Then the Green TD, I don't know how you let that happen in this type of D, supposed to keep things in front of you and not let the WR run right by you.

If this scheme continues though obviously have to generate pass rush somehow. Otherwise the Tampa 2 is just a slow death normally for the D
The turnovers were a mirage because the Bengals arenít very good. To consistently produce turnovers you need good corners and pressure on the quarterback, both things that the Colts lack.

I donít think theyíll get more TOís than that in a game the rest of the year.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-10-2018, 08:40 AM
Puck's Avatar
Puck Puck is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 6,076
Thanks: 817
Thanked 1,014 Times in 544 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
Its one game, first of all. Give the guy some time.

The D did produce two turnovers, one that should have resulted in an easy TD by the offense, but they did nothing with it.

I am not thrilled with the Tampa 2 but the D wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. The biggest disappointment is the run D, still awful

And Wilson sucks. Wasted second rounder. Yes that was a cheap penalty on him at the end of the half, but he got beat on that play pretty bad and he is lucky it wasn't a catch anyway.

Then the Green TD, I don't know how you let that happen in this type of D, supposed to keep things in front of you and not let the WR run right by you.

If this scheme continues though obviously have to generate pass rush somehow. Otherwise the Tampa 2 is just a slow death normally for the D
Not calling for him to be fired. Wondering about not using cap money more than anything.

Maybe in the back of his mind he needed to make sure Luck was back and if not use money on a QB?

I understand he only wants to use FA to fill gaps but there are a lot of gaps in that defense
__________________
If you're not a Freak then you're just on the bandwagon
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-10-2018, 08:41 AM
rm1369 rm1369 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 367
Thanks: 102
Thanked 157 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
Its one game, first of all. Give the guy some time.

The D did produce two turnovers, one that should have resulted in an easy TD by the offense, but they did nothing with it.

I am not thrilled with the Tampa 2 but the D wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. The biggest disappointment is the run D, still awful

And Wilson sucks. Wasted second rounder. Yes that was a cheap penalty on him at the end of the half, but he got beat on that play pretty bad and he is lucky it wasn't a catch anyway.

Then the Green TD, I don't know how you let that happen in this type of D, supposed to keep things in front of you and not let the WR run right by you.

If this scheme continues though obviously have to generate pass rush somehow. Otherwise the Tampa 2 is just a slow death normally for the D
I pretty much agree with this except the D not being as horrible as thought. I think you have to take into account how bad the Cincy offense was last year. No gaurentee they arenít improved obviously, but I seriously doubt they are in the upper tier in the league. Iíd feel better if the Colts were limiting them but were getting killed by big plays as a result of confusion, missed assignments, etc. I see that as more correctable and a better indication of talent being hurt by youth. The D simply lacks talent and couldnít compete with an average at best O on a down by down basis. That to me was the worst case scenario and exactly what I saw.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.