ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
I think your perception is pretty off. Brissett isn't irreplaceable, but he's definitely on a higher level than Nathan Peterman, for example. There are some bad backup QBs that can't handle much real NFL playing time. With a good team and coaching staff around him I think Brissett can win.
I’d agree - but that’s why he’s more valuable as a trade commodity than as a backup QB. I don’t see the Colts being able to retain him long term. I’d guess he will want a shot as a full time starter and I think he’s shown enough to get one.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:27 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Matt Miller posted a new mock today. I think the note at the end is particularly interesting as we think about the best combined approach between UFA and the draft.

Quote:
The Pick: N'Keal Harry, Wide Receiver, Arizona State

The Indianapolis Colts made a fantastic turnaround in 2018 en route to a playoff berth and Wild Card Round victory. They are close, but general manager Chris Ballard needs one more draft to get them into serious contention.

Ballard and his excellent team of scouts will be looking to improve the offense and could do so by adding a marquee target for Andrew Luck in the first round. N'Keal Harry has excellent size (6'4", 213 lbs) and has dominated after the catch at Arizona State.

The Colts do have needs on defense, especially a pass-rusher, but the free-agent class this year is rich at the edge. Paying for a pass rush and drafting wide receivers is the better move this offseason.
Harry has the type of size that I think Ballard wants (over a guy like Marquise Brown). Definitely someone to keep an eye on and see how he runs at the combine.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:29 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

He's right, there are many pass rushers in their contract year. But realistically how many will get to FA?
Old 01-15-2019, 06:29 PM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
He's right, there are many pass rushers in their contract year. But realistically how many will get to FA?
I think we need to plan to address the pass rush through the draft, be conservative with FA's, but also not afraid to jump at someone IF the come available.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 01-15-2019, 06:37 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Matt Miller posted a new mock today. I think the note at the end is particularly interesting as we think about the best combined approach between UFA and the draft.

Harry has the type of size that I think Ballard wants (over a guy like Marquise Brown). Definitely someone to keep an eye on and see how he runs at the combine.
Ballard talked about bolstering the lines quite a bit in his post presser. I have a hard time seeing him drafting a receiver 1st. Especially with all the line talent in this draft. I’ve seen quite a few mocks with a WR first. Just don’t see it happening.

I’ve seen Harry play a couple times. Makes great catches, but I worry about his ability to separate. I want to see his 40 and 3-come Times first. I seeso many of his catches contested and the pac-12 doesn’t have that great of corners.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:39 PM
Accidental Administrator

I guess I just cant imagine someone paying a second for:

a 25 year old QB
with a 5-12 record as a starter
with 13 TDs and 7 picks

Russell Wilson was a 3rd
Derek Carr a 2nd
Andy Dalton a 2nd
Colin Kaepernick a 2nd
Dak Prescott 4th
Nick Foles 3rd
Tyrod Taylor 6th

It just seems like whatever team could possibly give us a second for brissett would do a great deal better by picking a QB with that second instead. I dont see brissett as being better that Carr or Dalton. What am I missing?

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 01-15-2019, 06:51 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Couple of things:

1. Morroco Brown started scouting with the Colts as an intern.

2. In the IndyStar, Ballard said he's got to be bowled over with an offer to trade Brissett.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:15 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
I guess I just cant imagine someone paying a second for:

a 25 year old QB
with a 5-12 record as a starter
with 13 TDs and 7 picks

Russell Wilson was a 3rd
Derek Carr a 2nd
Andy Dalton a 2nd
Colin Kaepernick a 2nd
Dak Prescott 4th
Nick Foles 3rd
Tyrod Taylor 6th

It just seems like whatever team could possibly give us a second for brissett would do a great deal better by picking a QB with that second instead. I dont see brissett as being better that Carr or Dalton. What am I missing?
Not sure this actually relates to your post, but a backup QB doesn't see the field often, so why do we value them so highly? Other backups seem to get much more playing time.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:37 PM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Not sure this actually relates to your post, but a backup QB doesn't see the field often, so why do we value them so highly? Other backups seem to get much more playing time.

Because when you don't value that position highly, you end up with Curtis Painter filling the role.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:10 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
Because when you don't value that position highly, you end up with Curtis Painter filling the role.
Which is the difference between the 1st pick in the draft (the Painter/Orlovsky season) and the 4th pick in the draft (the Brissett season).

If Luck is ever out for a long time, Colts are boned. At that point, you may as well embrace your draft position.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-15-2019)