ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 11:19 AM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
I'm not sure about trading Brissett either.

While I agree with GBB88 that if someone offers us a 2nd round for him we should jump at it, I just don't see a team that is willing to do that. 3rd at best, but more likely a 4th.

He's more valuable here than a 3rd.
This is a 6-10 team at best if Brissett was QB this year. We would get more value from a draft pick.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
In all fairness he had like a half a second before the rush was on him last year. Might be a bit better with this line? Just an observation …
I actually had that thought at one point during the season when Luck took one of the few sacks allowed on him this year.

We don't really know how Brissett would fare behind this line. If he actually had all day to throw like we just enjoyed for 10+ games, and a viable running attack, I expect he would probably look considerably better.

That said, there are viable trade scenarios. Considering we gave up a 7th for him, he played one year that went nowhere, and (following this hypothetical) his perceived value appreciated up to a 2nd round pick, you work your margins there.

By that I mean - he's never going to be a franchise QB for us, and he'd never be worth more than a 2nd offered this offseason or next, so you turn that equity into liquid and don't look back.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:34 AM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post

Brissett cost the Colts a 7th round pick.

Brissett was acquired via a player-for-player swap. The Colts traded former 1st round pick Phillip Dorsett for the former 3rd round draft pick Brissett.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
Brissett was acquired via a player-for-player swap. The Colts traded former 1st round pick Phillip Dorsett for the former 3rd round draft pick Brissett.
God that's right. And I knew that.

This is where it's gotten to - GBB can say something I know is wrong and I just accept it wholesale.

I might need to examine that.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:00 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
Yup my bad. Idk what trade I was thinking of.

Still, Colts bought low and could sell high.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:03 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
In all fairness he had like a half a second before the rush was on him last year. Might be a bit better with this line? Just an observation …
I don't think that's what happened at all. I think Brissett held the ball way too long in a bad offense and had trouble seeing the field.

Just think he's way overrated as a player in general. As a teammate? Awesome. As a big arm? Fine. But as a player, he struggles to read defenses. And, hell, he was asked to complete 1 pass this year (to Andrew Luck in the MIA game ... I'm discounting the Hail Mary because it was a Hail Mary) and almost screwed that up royally.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:17 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

I think nearly everyone would take a 2nd for Brissett, but what if a team is only looking to move down (i.e. the Colts wouldn't gain a pick). As an example, what about Brissett + #89 to Miami for #48? That would be roughly a late 2nd rounder in value for Brissett.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I think nearly everyone would take a 2nd for Brissett, but what if a team is only looking to move down (i.e. the Colts wouldn't gain a pick). As an example, what about Brissett + #89 to Miami for #48? That would be roughly a late 2nd rounder in value for Brissett.
Depends what your draft board looks like and where you see deep drop offs in talent. But I’d say the answer is very likely yes.

I love having the security of believing Brissett could win a game or two in Luck’s absence. But the reality is you can find backups on the market that provide an equivalent level of short term security. Brissett’s real value is in his age and upside, which really mean very little for the Colts long term. And in some ways is actually a detriment, as you’d prefer an experienced hand and one that isn’t going to (rightly) leave for his (deserved) shot. It sucks, but the best thing for the Colts (and possibly Brissett) is a trade this offseason.

Last edited by rm1369; 01-15-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:00 PM

Brissett is a serviceable back up that can come in for 2-3 games in a pinch and win 1-2.

I don't think he is any better or worse than most back ups in the league.

I do think with Reich he could make him a decent QB, play to his strengths Also with a better run game as we saw this year for the team, it would be easier on him

But I would take a second round pick for him if offered, just not sure you would get that. You can draft or find a back up somewhere to replace him with a lower round pick or in FA
Old 01-15-2019, 02:21 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
Brissett is a serviceable back up that can come in for 2-3 games in a pinch and win 1-2.

I don't think he is any better or worse than most back ups in the league.

I do think with Reich he could make him a decent QB, play to his strengths Also with a better run game as we saw this year for the team, it would be easier on him

But I would take a second round pick for him if offered, just not sure you would get that. You can draft or find a back up somewhere to replace him with a lower round pick or in FA
I think your perception is pretty off. Brissett isn't irreplaceable, but he's definitely on a higher level than Nathan Peterman, for example. There are some bad backup QBs that can't handle much real NFL playing time. With a good team and coaching staff around him I think Brissett can win.