ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-18-2022, 08:06 PM

Thanked 1,339 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
What? Leonard plays linebacker and how did he have an affect on the shit show the offense put out there vs. the Jackoffs? Leaders can only do so much, they are not miracle workers. He was one of our best players all year long, and that is not even debatable. Fuck!!!!!! Wentz is the fucking problem, hell, I hate even having to type this up.
Agreed that the O and Wentz sucked balls against the Jagoffs, but the D shit the bed too. Not saying that Leonard is a bad player, he's obviously great. I'm just saying that as of at least right now it doesn't appear that he's a good leader.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:07 AM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

You need a leader on both sides of the ball

Leonard is clearly the guy on defense

Wentz clearly never should’ve been on offense it should’ve been Taylor from week 1

Being a leader is knowing what’s needed at the right moment Leonard always steps up when the team needs him Wentz seems to fold up and choke when he’s needed the most

That can kill the belief and shatter confidence of wanting to give your all for a guy

Gotta have balance
The Following User Says Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-19-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
You need a leader on both sides of the ball

Leonard is clearly the guy on defense

Wentz clearly never should’ve been on offense it should’ve been Taylor from week 1

Being a leader is knowing what’s needed at the right moment Leonard always steps up when the team needs him Wentz seems to fold up and choke when he’s needed the most

That can kill the belief and shatter confidence of wanting to give your all for a guy

Gotta have balance
We have a fundamental difference on what a leader is. What you describe is, to me anyway, a great player - not necessarily a leader. I think it is great for the team if it’s best players are also leaders, but it isn’t a requirement. Many great players are actually poor leaders because the natural talents they possess don’t transfer to those around them. For example, here is a quote from Leonard on Walker’s departure:

“Now that Anthony Walker is gone, you need that person to take in that leadership role and say, ‘Okay, this is what you have to do,'” Leonard said, via Joel A. Erickson of the Indianapolis Star. “‘This is the way that it has to be.’ . . . I’m going to have to quit being this friendly guy, quit being this guy that smiles all the time and goes about doing it his way. Now, it’s about this is the right way, this is how we do it, and hold people accountable that way.”

Notice that Leonard himself said he had been doing things “his way” and now he has to do them “the right way”? Leonard was a great player before this year, but his methods were by his own admission not what you want the majority of the team to emulate. Why? Because it likely won’t work for them.

This quote is just another example of why I don’t see Leonard as a leader. Think about what he actually said here. He basically said: “I anoint myself leader and now I’ll have to start doing things the right way solely so I can start holding others accountable for doing things their own way - as I did prior to declaring myself the leader”. Without a doubt a great player, but that is pretty fucking far from EFFECTIVE leadership.

Taking it to Wentz, he’s not a shitty leader because he isn’t a great player. He’s a shitty leader because he models poor habits. The apparent lack of coachability would get plenty of other guys cut. Wentz is significantly more naturally talented than Jacoby Brissett, but I consider Brissett a leader and Wentz much closer to a cancer. If everyone on the team modeled Jacoby’s work ethic, coachability, and selflessness you’d likely have a pretty decent team (assuming at least average talent). If everyone modeled Wentz you’d be battling for the #1 pick.

I see no indications Leonard is a leader. I see that he feels he should be one. Maybe he’ll become one in time. But to me it doesn’t appear natural to him. Great player though.

Last edited by rm1369; 02-20-2022 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:08 AM
Doom -N- Gloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post

We have a fundamental difference on what a leader is. What you describe is, to me anyway, a great player - not necessarily a leader. I think it is great for the team if it’s best players are also leaders, but it isn’t a requirement. Many great players are actually poor leaders because the natural talents they possess don’t transfer to those around them. For example, here is a quote from Leonard on Walker’s departure:

“Now that Anthony Walker is gone, you need that person to take in that leadership role and say, ‘Okay, this is what you have to do,'” Leonard said, via Joel A. Erickson of the Indianapolis Star. “‘This is the way that it has to be.’ . . . I’m going to have to quit being this friendly guy, quit being this guy that smiles all the time and goes about doing it his way. Now, it’s about this is the right way, this is how we do it, and hold people accountable that way.”

Notice that Leonard himself said he had been doing things “his way” and now he has to do them “the right way”? Leonard was a great player before this year, but his methods were by his own admission not what you want the majority of the team to emulate. Why? Because it likely won’t work for them.

This quote is just another example of why I don’t see Leonard as a leader. Think about what he actually said here. He basically said: “I anoint myself leader and now I’ll have to start doing things the right way solely so I can start holding others accountable for doing things their own way - as I did prior to declaring myself the leader”. Without a doubt a great player, but that is pretty fucking far from EFFECTIVE leadership.

Taking it to Wentz, he’s not a shitty leader because he isn’t a great player. He’s a shitty leader because he models poor habits. The apparent lack of coachability would get plenty of other guys cut. Wentz is significantly more naturally talented than Jacoby Brissett, but I consider Brissett a leader and Wentz much closer to a cancer. If everyone on the team modeled Jacoby’s work ethic, coachability, and selflessness you’d likely have a pretty decent team (assuming at least average talent). If everyone modeled Wentz you’d be battling for the #1 pick.

I see no indications Leonard is a leader. I see that he feels he should be one. Maybe he’ll become one in time. But to me it doesn’t appear natural to him. Great player though.
What he says to some Colts beat writer don’t mean anything to me

Some guys lead by example some guys are rah rah leaders some guys are in between

How can Leonard hold guys accountable he doesn’t own the team

A leader steps up in big moments, has respect of all his teammates, and makes everyone bring their game up. I feel like the defense feeds of Leonard

There’s a difference when respect is earned and given

Leonard earned it

Wentz was given it

Last edited by apballin; 02-20-2022 at 06:18 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-20-2022), Spike (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 11:15 AM

Thanked 1,339 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:

Some guys lead by example some guys are rah rah leaders some guys are in between

A leader steps up in big moments, has respect of all his teammates, and makes everyone bring their game up. I feel like the defense feeds of Leonard

Leonard earned it

Wentz was given it
And yet his defense shit the bed in the biggest moment of the year against the worst team in the league. Clearly whatever Leonard did to help his team get ready for this big moment didn't work.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Leonard earned it

Wentz was given it
I still see no difference between your definition of leadership and greatness. Terrell Owens, young Randy Moss, Antonio Brown, Levon Bell. All great players and, by your definition, leaders. Sorry, I’ll disagree.

You ask how Leonard is supposed to hold guys accountable. Do you recognize those where his words and not mine? Then you say he makes everyone bring their game up. I’ll ask you how? The most beneficial way to me is by modeling the right dedication, film study, body care, etc during the week. That’s leadership to me. Doing things “your way” instead of “the right way” during the week and then making a big play is greatness. Both are important, but they are different. To me at least.

Using your own definition, Leonard’s leadership failed against the Jags. He played like shit and so did nearly everyone else. He then comes out and talks about how OTHER GUYS need to learn from the failure. He’s a talker, not a leader.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
JAFF (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 12:15 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
And yet his defense shit the bed in the biggest moment of the year against the worst team in the league. Clearly whatever Leonard did to help his team get ready for this big moment didn't work.
Really? Because of Leonard they lost? It was a team effort across the board
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
apballin (02-20-2022), Colts And Orioles (02-20-2022), Spike (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 12:16 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
The jags had 300 yards of total offense that’s hardly shitting the bed, Wentz turnovers lost that game did the defense have a great game No but 300 yards is not getting dominated

The offense scored 11 points

You realize Leonard can only do so much right
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
JAFF (02-20-2022), Racehorse (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 12:26 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I still see no difference between your definition of leadership and greatness. Terrell Owens, young Randy Moss, Antonio Brown, Levon Bell. All great players and, by your definition, leaders. Sorry, I’ll disagree.

You ask how Leonard is supposed to hold guys accountable. Do you recognize those where his words and not mine? Then you say he makes everyone bring their game up. I’ll ask you how? The most beneficial way to me is by modeling the right dedication, film study, body care, etc during the week. That’s leadership to me. Doing things “your way” instead of “the right way” during the week and then making a big play is greatness. Both are important, but they are different. To me at least.

Using your own definition, Leonard’s leadership failed against the Jags. He played like shit and so did nearly everyone else. He then comes out and talks about how OTHER GUYS need to learn from the failure. He’s a talker, not a leader.
Are you fuckin kidding me???

He’s put up historic numbers only comparable to Ray Lewis at this point in his career he created more turnovers than half of the teams in the NFL by himself with zero pass rush all year

He talks and backs it up fuck that Reich and Wentz failed more than anyone on this entire team all year and most of all the last 2 weeks of the season

Leonard can only mask so much he’s a leader but I’ll say it again you gotta have it on both sides of the ball
The Following User Says Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
JAFF (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Are you fuckin kidding me???

He’s put up historic numbers only comparable to Ray Lewis at this point in his career he created more turnovers than half of the teams in the NFL by himself with zero pass rush all year

He talks and backs it up fuck that Reich and Wentz failed more than anyone on this entire team all year and most of all the last 2 weeks of the season

Leonard can only mask so much he’s a leader but I’ll say it again you gotta have it on both sides of the ball
I’ve not questioned Leonard’s greatness, only his leadership. You are the one that can’t separate the two. Go back and look at the list of players I provided. Each one was great. Would you defend them as leaders as you are Leonard? Hell, each one of them won more than Leonard has so far. Yes it’s a team game. I don’t think anyone is trying to blame Leonard for the entire collapse. He just hasn’t shown leadership and the team needs some.

I’ll also point out that you say you need leadership on both sides of the ball. I agree. However using your definition don’t the Colts have offensive leadership? Taylor and Nelson are both great players right? By the definition you keep providing that should mean they are also great leaders. Or just maybe, there is a difference between the two.

Last edited by rm1369; 02-20-2022 at 01:03 PM.