ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-25-2018, 01:56 PM

Thanked 1,666 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
At what point would he be worth the risk? Guy has some physical talents to go along with the limitation.
Right, so some say he could be worth a late 1st round, early 2nd round pick if he had 2 hands. His speed, leadership, and football IQ all support that. So I understand he drops because of the hand - rounds 3-4 seem the popular opinion in most mocks.
But the question is what is his position - VeveJones said you can't play him at WLB, but really that seems to be his ideal spot because he is probably not big enough to play OLB in 3-4 defenses. But his tape says he can tackle in the open field and that's what you want from the WLB.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:57 PM

Thanked 1,666 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Surprised this is even a question. He's obviously a situational pass rusher in passing situations. Do you really want him to try and wrap up a TE or RB with a head of steam in the open field?

You have to be comfortable with him on ST to warrant a spot on the roster. I'm not sure he will.
If he can't tackle, you don't draft him. His tape says he can tackle.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:04 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
If he can't tackle, you don't draft him. His tape says he can tackle.
Sorry, but his tape doesn't tell you he can tackle Derrick Henry with a head of steam. In the NFL, he is going to have to make plays in the backfield. It's his only chance.

It's a matter of weight ratios. A five pound bird can't carry a ten point coconut.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but his tape doesn't tell you he can tackle Derrick Henry with a head of steam. In the NFL, he is going to have to make plays in the backfield. It's his only chance.

It's a matter of weight ratios. A five pound bird can't carry a ten point coconut.
I’m not sure it’s quite as big an issue as you make it out to be. Or, more accurately, I’m not as certain as you seem to be that it will be an issue. Although I agree it could be and I’d need to see him overcome it at the NFL level to believe he can be a full time player you can depend on every snap. To me that keeps him out of consideration until round 4. With his upside and intangibles I’d happily grab him in round 4, but I doubt he’ll be there. Someone is going to take a chance on him. There is way to much to like for them not to.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Now that Ballard has confirmed that John Simon is a DE in the new scheme, we have ZERO viable starting calibre LBs on the roster.

40 times from Combine or Pro Day of draftee LBs:

4.38 = Shaquem Griffin, Central Florida * (WSLB)
4.51 = Roquan Smith, Georgia * (MLB)
4.52 = Malik Jefferson, Texas * (WSLB)
4.53 = Jerone Baker, Ohio State
4.54 = Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech * (MLB)
4.59 = Genard Avery, Memphis
4.59 = Oren Burks, Vanderbilt
4.61 = Dorian O'Daniel, Clemson
4.63 = Andre Smith, North Carolina
4.64 = Fred Warner, BYU
4.65 = Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State * (WSLB)
4.66 = Micah Kiser, Virginia

==== Speed Break ? ====

4.70 = Darius Leonard, South Carolina
4.75 = Rashaan Evans, Alabama (Did not run at Combine or Pro Day. This numbers is from an Alabama football fan website from "team" numbers" from the 2017 season. His 2016 time was 4.65 and his 2015 time was 4.60)
4.75 = Christian Sam, Arizona State
4.76 = Mike McCray, Michigan
4.77 = Tegray Scales, Indiana
4.82 = Josey Jewell, Iowa

* = Guys I like as probably starters on a Colts 4-3 defense in 2018.

My guess is that we will get a max of two LBs drafted and then either have to produce a SSLB from our internal guys or potential veteran free agents still on the market like Kevin Minter or Gerald Hodges.

I really think that we need to come out of this draft with two LBs picked in the first 3 rounds of the draft. We really have no one on the roster currently who inspires confidence at the positions.

Walk Worthy,
Venturi was on Dakich's show today and in his analysis of Roquan Smith he seemed to project Smith as WILL that could play MIKE in a pinch.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Classic View Post
Venturi was on Dakich's show today and in his analysis of Roquan Smith he seemed to project Smith as WILL that could play MIKE in a pinch.
Doesn’t understand the modern NFL if that’s his assessment. Look at Bobby Wagner. Look at Deion Jones.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:12 PM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,213 Posts

I would draft Shaquem, as a 4-3 WILL in 3rd round, but no earlier.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:11 AM

Schefter says there’s a growing belief around the league that the Browns are going to take Mayfield #1.

NFL Network has a report saying Barkley is the pick at 2.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:08 AM

Per Matt Miller:

Quote:
Indianapolis Colts: The Colts have already traded back once and won't be afraid to do it again if NC State edge-rusher Bradley Chubb is off the board. I've heard consistently from scouts that they like Georgia linebacker Roquan Smith, but they might be able to slide back, let a team come up for a quarterback and still get him or another blue-chip player.
Eric Edholm also has said the Colts love Smith.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Doesn’t understand the modern NFL if that’s his assessment. Look at Bobby Wagner. Look at Deion Jones.
Ah Bobby Wagner explains it all. In the same segment he mentioned how much he despises the move to Seattle style defenses with one safety over top and leaving corners out on an island (If that summary is wrong, that's me not recalling how he described it--his complaint made sense at the time regardless of whether or not it's valid). So yeah, he was probably thinking how he would do things.