ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-23-2022, 12:44 AM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Are we really that scared of losing a six round draft pick who is a 3rd string QB?
Old 08-23-2022, 06:32 AM

Thanked 4,396 Times in 2,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
Are we really that scared of losing a six round draft pick who is a 3rd string QB?
I think the worry is that Ryan is close to done. Foles is not the Foles of 2017, and we have nobody waiting in the wings but Sam.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Do you think Ehlinger makes the final 53? I will say yes. My opinion of the guy has done a 180. Last year I didn't think he was physically able to play the position in the NFL. You don't need a gun to play QB in the NFL (Montana, Brady, Starr and Unitas didn't have the strongest arms but were more than able to compensate with their mental approach) but you do need a 'head'. This guy has the head according to everyone. Last year his arm was weak and inaccurate. He has improved both over one preseason. As we well know, finding a QB is a bitch in the NFL. You cannot afford to let one, even one with as long a shot at Ehlinger, slip through your fingers. I have no idea what his upside is, neither does anyone else on this board. His upside was miserable because of his arm. If he can improve accuracy as well as strength we just might have a gem. Ballard kept Patmon on the 53 for several years and he added absolutely zilch (one great TD I know) to this offense. I think he keeps Ehlinger. I don't have rose colored glasses, I know it is a long shot. I would say that us drafting a sure thing at QB is even a longer shot considering where we will usually
be drafting.
It is impressive what an offseason with Tom House (https://fox59.com/sports/colts/colts...proving-as-qb/) can do for a young player with quality intangibles. Yes, his arm may not have been great coming in, and he does not have the ideal size for an NFL QB- but his ability to learn, read, react and adapt is of a first round talent. Cerebral talent has obviously gotten him to this point. He even looks faster and stronger and more succinct on the field.
The question now is will he get enough of an opportunity to show what he can do? Will that be with the Colts, since by the time Ryan retires, Sam will done his rookie deal. Is what we are seeing with second stringers closer to Sam's ceiling potential? We don't know, and we likely wont unless Sam plays with starters in a meaningful game. Im not saying we should start him and find out, but rather we may never truly find out until his rookie deal expires. Pre-season aint live bullets, folks.
Ballard has always said that you have to keep swinging with QB's. Sam essentially won out over Eason and is still here- for a 6th rounder-and is clearly improving. All signs point to him staying, as CB clearly needs his cupboard stocked with both young drafted talent and game ready vets in more a win now mentality.
If Ryan is not really that good this year, I guarantee he will start looking very closely at Ehlinger and Foles will be gone next year either way. Ryan plays out his final year and we either give the keys to Sam or draft that guy. Sounds simple huh?
Old 08-23-2022, 08:49 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
I think the worry is that Ryan is close to done. Foles is not the Foles of 2017, and we have nobody waiting in the wings but Sam.
Most teams dont. If you have a really good QB, and he is not on his rookie contract, spending money on another starter quality Qb, puts a dent in the cap. Free agency makes it harder. A good Qb wont sit behind a starter if he can get his own starting job by leaving as a free agent.

The Packers were lucky when Aaron Rodgers free fell in the draft. People thought the Packers were crazy, they had Faurve. It was a perfect situation.

Luck retiring before the beginning of the season really screwed the Colts. They have been playing catch up ever since. If there is a Qb they like in the up comming draft, they need to made a deal and get him. Do it now, they have Ryan and that gives them some time work with a young athelete
Old 08-23-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
He's gone if he goes on the practice squad, no way he clears waivers. I'd say there are a half dozen teams that would take a chance on him. JMHO
I would agree.

We either need to keep him on the 53 or we will not have him.

While I would prefer to not carry 3 QBs with how durable Ryan has shown himself to be over his career, I would do so in a heartbeat if I think this kid can continue to improve.

Jacoby Brissett's issue was never physical; it all had to do with the six inches between his ears. If you can find someone who has that "it" factor mentally? You take the time to develop his physical to match it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ironshaft For This Useful Post:
JAFF (08-23-2022), Lov2fish (08-23-2022), Oldcolt (08-23-2022), Racehorse (08-24-2022), smitty46953 (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 02:21 PM

Thanked 1,899 Times in 926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
He's gone if he goes on the practice squad, no way he clears waivers. I'd say there are a half dozen teams that would take a chance on him. JMHO
I don’t know. It depends on a lot of things.

I haven’t yet seen him make a play from the pocket. He always rolls out. That won’t fly if teams are game planning for him.

I’m not saying he can’t do it, just that I haven’t seen him do it.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:23 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

Some folks over on dotcom have turned him into another Chad Kelly. Fighting among themselves over Ehlinger. Morons.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:43 AM

Thanked 4,396 Times in 2,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Most teams dont. If you have a really good QB, and he is not on his rookie contract, spending money on another starter quality Qb, puts a dent in the cap. Free agency makes it harder. A good Qb wont sit behind a starter if he can get his own starting job by leaving as a free agent.

The Packers were lucky when Aaron Rodgers free fell in the draft. People thought the Packers were crazy, they had Faurve. It was a perfect situation.

Luck retiring before the beginning of the season really screwed the Colts. They have been playing catch up ever since. If there is a Qb they like in the up comming draft, they need to made a deal and get him. Do it now, they have Ryan and that gives them some time work with a young athelete
Most teams don't what? I am not sure how your post is in response to mine.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:23 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Most teams don't what? I am not sure how your post is in response to mine.
Have someone waiting in the wings. Rodgers in GB waited 5 years behind Faurve? Colts now have 5th new starting Qb in 5 years. In the cap area, how do you pay 2 guys like starting Qbs and sit one
Old 08-24-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Have someone waiting in the wings. Rodgers in GB waited 5 years behind Faurve? Colts now have 5th new starting Qb in 5 years. In the cap area, how do you pay 2 guys like starting Qbs and sit one
We did it in 2019 and 2020. We carried Luck and(Eventually that season) Jacoby at a total of approx 45 million.

Same deal the next season, where we opted to keep Jacoby and Rivers.

I am not saying that it's ideal, or that our team found themselves in that situation on purpose, but it can be done. It usually requires the rest of our roster to be very young, and ours was
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeSayDayo For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (08-24-2022), Racehorse (08-24-2022)