ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-21-2022, 02:19 PM

Thanked 1,899 Times in 926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
could be a good backup for years in the league
He’s been impressive. Accuracy and pocket presence really stand out with him.
Old 08-21-2022, 03:14 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
He’s been impressive. Accuracy and pocket presence really stand out with him.
The downside on Ehlinger was always his arm. If he can improve his arm strength, he could be a quality backup or maybe even a low tier starter someday.
Old 08-21-2022, 10:09 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

If he improves his arm as much next year as this year he could be a top tier qb. His accuracy looks much better also. It will be interesting to see if he makes the 53. If he does I think the Colts brass thinks his upside is pretty high.
Old 08-21-2022, 10:44 PM

Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
If he improves his arm as much next year as this year he could be a top tier qb. His accuracy looks much better also. It will be interesting to see if he makes the 53. If he does I think the Colts brass thinks his upside is pretty high.
Slow your roll the odds of him ever being a quality starter are low let alone top tier. His ceiling is probably quality backup.
Old 08-22-2022, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Slow your roll the odds of him ever being a quality starter are low let alone top tier. His ceiling is probably quality backup.
I agree that is the smart call. But you never know which is one thing I like about sports.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:45 AM

Do you think Ehlinger makes the final 53? I will say yes. My opinion of the guy has done a 180. Last year I didn't think he was physically able to play the position in the NFL. You don't need a gun to play QB in the NFL (Montana, Brady, Starr and Unitas didn't have the strongest arms but were more than able to compensate with their mental approach) but you do need a 'head'. This guy has the head according to everyone. Last year his arm was weak and inaccurate. He has improved both over one preseason. As we well know, finding a QB is a bitch in the NFL. You cannot afford to let one, even one with as long a shot at Ehlinger, slip through your fingers. I have no idea what his upside is, neither does anyone else on this board. His upside was miserable because of his arm. If he can improve accuracy as well as strength we just might have a gem. Ballard kept Patmon on the 53 for several years and he added absolutely zilch (one great TD I know) to this offense. I think he keeps Ehlinger. I don't have rose colored glasses, I know it is a long shot. I would say that us drafting a sure thing at QB is even a longer shot considering where we will usually
be drafting.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (08-22-2022), Racehorse (08-22-2022), Spike (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 10:57 AM

A couple of thoughts:

A. While fun, we as fans have zero idea if Elhlinger is being effective running THE PLAY CALLED or not. We can talk about what we see with our eyes but we have zero idea if he is doing what the coaches want him to be doing. The NFL is littered with QB names who appeared to be effective to the fans but were given their walking papers by the coaching staff. Temper your expectations until you hear the coaches raving about him.

B. We know what Foles brings to the table which is....honestly not a ton. Except for one shining post season, he is a low, low end starting NFL QB or a fairly high backup. While there is value in that on an NFL roster, don't expect him to "save" the season if Ryan goes down.

C. I just talked to a co-worker who is a Seahags fan who was ranting about trading away a top ten QB and I agreed with him. The NFL is chock full of QBs who are good enough to round out a roster because they are better than the rest but are not really good enough to drive a football team. Foles is one of those guys.

D. So, if you don't think Foles can "save" the season, then it makes sense to me to gamble on carrying the young guy if you think he has potential as the backup then carrying the veteran who you know cannot cut it.

In the end, I hope Ehlinger can force a conversation about who should be backup because it is always exciting for a team to find a diamond in the late rounds of the draft. At QB? That happens in only a blue moon.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ironshaft For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (08-22-2022), Oldcolt (08-22-2022), Racehorse (08-22-2022), Spike (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 11:14 AM

Thanked 1,899 Times in 926 Posts

Ehlinger won’t be the backup this season but I also don’t think they’ll risk losing him by trying to get him on the PS.

I think they’ll carry 3 quarterbacks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (08-22-2022), Racehorse (08-22-2022), TheMugwump (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 01:02 PM

I think I need to see more of him this Saturday.
The Following User Says Thank You to Discflinger For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 10:19 PM

Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
Ehlinger won’t be the backup this season but I also don’t think they’ll risk losing him by trying to get him on the PS.

I think they’ll carry 3 quarterbacks.
He's gone if he goes on the practice squad, no way he clears waivers. I'd say there are a half dozen teams that would take a chance on him. JMHO
Ironshaft (08-23-2022)