ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-23-2022, 10:04 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Insider: Veteran Matt Pryor on track to be Colts' starting left tackle

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...e/65412875007/

INDIANAPOLIS — The Colts picked up Matt Pryor at the roster cut deadline for a simple pick swap, sending a sixth-round pick to Philadelphia in exchange for a seventh-round pick and a backup offensive lineman the Eagles likely weren’t going to keep on their 53-man roster.

By the standards of the NFL trade market, Indianapolis gave up the bare minimum in order to get Pryor.

Roughly a year later, Pryor is on his way to opening the 2022 season as the Colts’ starter on the most important position on the offensive line. Four weeks into training camp, Pryor is holding off third-round pick Bernhard Raimann for one of the few starting spots that seemed like it might be up for grabs.

“I think Matt’s done a good job, and I think he’s given us a lot of confidence in him going into this week and into the season,” Colts head coach Frank Reich said. “I think that’s our mindset right now.”

A trade that initially served as a “wake-up call” has potentially changed the course of Pryor’s career.

Pryor was known in Philly mostly as an emergency substitution best suited to play on the right side of the offensive line, either at guard or at tackle. When injuries forced Pryor into the left tackle spot briefly in training camp in 2020, he wasn’t able to hold onto the gig.

More:Texas heat, boxing and Yannick Ngakoue: How Matt Pryor's turning himself into a left tackle

Indianapolis Colts offensive tackle Matt Pryor (69) warms up before an NFL preseason football game against the Detroit Lions in Indianapolis, Saturday, Aug. 20, 2022. (AP Photo/AJ Mast)
The trade to Indianapolis unlocked something in Pryor. Forced into the lineup repeatedly last season — first shoring up the right tackle spot that had been a gaping hole in Braden Smith’s absence, then a spot start at right guard in the COVID-19 Christmas game against the Cardinals and his first start at left tackle the next week against the Raiders — Pryor didn't give up a sack, playing well enough that the Colts gave him $5.29 million in guaranteed money, plus another $755,000 available in incentives, to take the first crack at left tackle on a one-year deal.

ADVERTISING

Intent on making good on the opportunity, the 27-year-old Pryor spent his offseason training as a southpaw boxer to get used to playing the left side, took advantage of his first chance in the NFL to train and practice at just one position and built a close relationship with All-Pro left guard Quenton Nelson.

Pryor has taken just about every snap as the team’s starting left tackle in training camp.

SUBSCRIBER EXCLUSIVE
Back to School
It’s that time again! Prepare for the best year ever with essential school supplies, delicious snacks to pack, and more.
Read Now in the e-Edition
“A big body (who) can move really well,” Nelson said. “Him and I bonded a lot off the field. Now, on the field, it’s been great getting to work with him.”

Indianapolis added a little insurance by signing veteran Dennis Kelly, then used a third-round pick on Raimann, a player who has the potential to be the Colts’ left tackle of the future. If Raimann looked like a finished product in training camp, he’d have had a chance to overtake Pryor for the starting job.

But Raimann, a transplant from Austria who landed a scholarship to Central Michigan, has only played the left tackle position for two years, and he’s a little bit like a raw lump of clay right now, constantly being worked and molded by offensive line coach Chris Strausser into a finished piece the Colts can use.

“You can see there’s times when a little bit of inexperience shows, but the one thing that is very evident is that he has all the physical tools, and he has the physical toughness to play the position,” Reich said. “As he continues to hone and refine his game at this level, I feel like he’s going to be a factor.”

The Colts knew there was a possibility Raimann might take time to realize his immense potential.

Although the rookie’s athleticism and remarkable quickness has been on display at times in training camp, Raimann is still learning and refining the technique necessary to bring his quickness to bear on the NFL’s best defensive linemen for 70 snaps a game. If a left tackle looks like a superstar on 65 of those plays and blows it badly on the other five, the offense has a problem.

“Bernhard knows he belongs,” Reich said. “He can play at a very high level, but at this level, and the position he’s playing in, when you’re playing tackle, there’s just very little margin for error. Really like the trajectory he’s on.”

Indianapolis is also counting on the insurance Kelly provides, even though the 10-year veteran has missed most of training camp after undergoing surgery on his knee.

“He’s played a lot of winning football,” Reich said. “We had a lengthy conversation about him today. … We’ll see if we get a chance to see how he does this week as it progresses, and if we can get him out there doing some things. If it’s not for Week 1, I think it will come pretty quickly after that.”

The presence of Raimann and Kelly offers some insurance.

But barring an injury in the final weeks of training camp, Pryor will be the man lining up next to Nelson to start the season opener against Houston on Sept. 11.

“I think we’ll put the final stamp on things after we get through this game,” Reich said. “I feel like Matt has deserved and earned the spot he’s in right now as the No. 1 left tackle.”

A spot even Pryor couldn’t have imagined occupying at this time last year.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 10:48 AM

Goodness, I hope they know what they are doing.

If there is one area of the team that I am most concerned about, it is the offensive line.

If it shows up, then JT will be the driving factor of an offense that can then pass off the run and score on anyone.

If they do not show up......
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ironshaft For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (08-23-2022), Brylok (08-23-2022), Oldcolt (08-23-2022), Racehorse (08-24-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 12:51 PM

Thanked 2,650 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironshaft View Post
Goodness, I hope they know what they are doing.

If there is one area of the team that I am most concerned about, it is the offensive line.

The OL depth options are definitely concerning:

a vet with a bum knee (Kelly), Raimann, Fries (7th round draft pick from 2021 draft), a former CFL player and a bunch of UDFA's.

I am guessing the Colts will try to add to this group on final cut-down day - similar to when they traded for Pryor last season.

» LT: Matt Pryor, Bernhard Raimann, Jordan Murray

» LG: Quenton Nelson

» C: Ryan Kelly, Wesley French

» RG: Danny Pinter, Will Fries, Josh Seltzner

» RT: Braden Smith, Ryan Van Demark, Dennis Kelly

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 08-23-2022 at 03:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 04:28 PM

I had high hopes for Pryor coming into the season. I thought he could put it together looking through these blue colored glasses, but after seeing his play I am extremely skeptical(as if my opinion amounts to anything). I like the guy in interviews and think he has what it takes between the ears, but I see him as a clear liability at LT. Today at practice they shifted him to RT, sliding Smith to RG and gave Raimann a shot at LT. I think they are clearly trying to get the best 5 on the field and if Bernard can come along quickly this may be the lineup we see in a month or so. However, I think that I would rather put Pryor at RG seeing as Braden is one of the best RT in the league.
The Following User Says Thank You to Discflinger For This Useful Post:
JAFF (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 07:30 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

LT is my biggest worry about the team. WR too, I guess...and probably punter now. The rest seems to be set. Maybe TE too, but LT is number one.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
LT is my biggest worry about the team. WR too, I guess...and probably punter now. The rest seems to be set. Maybe TE too, but LT is number one.
Sigh....punter.

However, the team impact from switching from the, say, #10 punter in the league (Rigo) to, say, the #34 punter in the league is probably a lot smaller than switching from a starting caliber WR, RB or DE to one that is not on anyone's starting 53 man roster.

My guess is that the #34/35/38 best punter in the league will still be "okay" when it comes to overall performance. The #129 DE (2x DE starters and 2x DE depth per 32-man team + 1)? Well, there is a reason they are not on a 53 man roster.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironshaft For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 10:13 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
I gotta agree with you Brylok. It is what makes me believe that our defense is going to hold this team together if we are going to make a deep run this year (something I am skeptical of). Especially during the first part of the year while hopefully the offense builds experience.