ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 03-11-2019, 10:49 AM

This is supposed to be a great draft for pass rushers and it seems Houston's best days are behind him

SO I say its unlikely.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:05 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I'd be willing to bet that either one or if we get lucky both Turay/Lewis make a big jump in production their second year. It happens all the time.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
See above.
Understood, but I dislike that thinking with Ballard as well. To me you give the coaching staff the talent to use and trust them to help strike a balance between winning and development. And overall I apparently see a lot more value in veterans than it appears Ballard does. The reports on Gronkowski and Mitchell’s influence on specific players and the locker room in general are the types of things I’m talking about. Or the mentoring that Reggie gave TY. There is value in that. The issue you typically see with veterans is when sentiment overrules results. I don’t like that either. But I trust the coaching staff to make the right calls. The Colts need pass rushers. Guys that can generate a pass rush shouldn’t be overlooked because they aren’t 4-8 year solutions. Competition typically makes players better.

Now with that said, I certainly can understand other reasons for possibly passing on Houston. I just have an issue with the stated reason Ballard would pass.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:28 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Understood, but I dislike that thinking with Ballard as well. To me you give the coaching staff the talent to use and trust them to help strike a balance between winning and development. And overall I apparently see a lot more value in veterans than it appears Ballard does. The reports on Gronkowski and Mitchell’s influence on specific players and the locker room in general are the types of things I’m talking about. Or the mentoring that Reggie gave TY. There is value in that. The issue you typically see with veterans is when sentiment overrules results. I don’t like that either. But I trust the coaching staff to make the right calls. The Colts need pass rushers. Guys that can generate a pass rush shouldn’t be overlooked because they aren’t 4-8 year solutions. Competition typically makes players better.

Now with that said, I certainly can understand other reasons for possibly passing on Houston. I just have an issue with the stated reason Ballard would pass.
We can certainly debate the merits of Ballard's philosophy. I'm just translating that philosophy into a projection of what the Colts will do in free agency, which leads me to conclude that Houston isn't going to happen.

I've said this in other threads as well, but I don't find it worthwhile to fantasize about adding guys like Bell or Brown or Houston or trading up for Bosa when none of those things have a remote chance of happening. I'd rather try to figure out who might be the next Denico Autry.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
We can certainly debate the merits of Ballard's philosophy. I'm just translating that philosophy into a projection of what the Colts will do in free agency, which leads me to conclude that Houston isn't going to happen.

I've said this in other threads as well, but I don't find it worthwhile to fantasize about adding guys like Bell or Brown or Houston or trading up for Bosa when none of those things have a remote chance of happening. I'd rather try to figure out who might be the next Denico Autry.
Understood. And for the record I’m not pushing for Houston necessarily. I think I get pegged as someone that wants every big name free agent and wants Ballard to spend every nickel available, but that’s not the case at all. I simply want to see him adequately attempt to address team needs. I didn’t feel he did last year - particularly at WR. I hope he doesn’t do the same thing this year with pass rush. And I’d be livid if he passed on help specifically to make sure Turay gets snaps. Make him earn the snaps.

Za’darius Smith is a name the Colts are being linked to that fits the Autry mold IMO and I’d be good with that signing.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Understood. And for the record I’m not pushing for Houston necessarily. I think I get pegged as someone that wants every big name free agent and wants Ballard to spend every nickel available, but that’s not the case at all. I simply want to see him adequately attempt to address team needs. I didn’t feel he did last year - particularly at WR. I hope he doesn’t do the same thing this year with pass rush. And I’d be livid if he passed on help specifically to make sure Turay gets snaps. Make him earn the snaps.

Za’darius Smith is a name the Colts are being linked to that fits the Autry mold IMO and I’d be good with that signing.
Totally fair. For the record, I think Ballard tries to add an EDGE in free agency. I think the Smiths will price themselves above Ballard's comfort zone, but I keep coming back to Shaq Barrett as an interesting option on a smaller deal.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:12 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

I'm not usually one to delve into the free agency speculation. But if you could give me Collins, Mosley and a veteran WR that can be a true #2, then I would be a happy camper.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I'm not usually one to delve into the free agency speculation. But if you could give me Collins, Mosley and a veteran WR that can be a true #2, then I would be a happy camper.
Mosley isn't happening...and I'm not sure he'll be better than Walker in 2019.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:07 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Mosley isn't happening...and I'm not sure he'll be better than Walker in 2019.
I meant to play the SAM and perhaps replace Walker in Nickel.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:51 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Ballard won’t take those snaps away from Turay, Lewis, and whatever EDGE they draft early.
We need DE. Not an edge