ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-05-2023, 10:25 AM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts
Default $15m?

The JT conundrum will be something the Colts will have to deal with sometime either this coming season or after this coming season.

So assuming that JT returns to form, what would you do?

Sign him to a long term contract which is certain to be a $15M+ contract?

Franchise him which would probably be a contract in the $12M range?

Trade him? This is the least likely scenario. Ideally you would have to trade him this spring, especially if he could be used to move up in the draft . But after undergoing ankle surgery, the market will have little interest and his value will be low. He would probably have to be traded during season before the the trade deadline to receive maximum value.

I know that the Colts don't often do this, but I would lean toward the franchise tag.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:35 AM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
The JT conundrum will be something the Colts will have to deal with sometime either this coming season or after this coming season.

So assuming that JT returns to form, what would you do?

Sign him to a long term contract which is certain to be a $15M+ contract?

Franchise him which would probably be a contract in the $12M range?

Trade him? This is the least likely scenario. Ideally you would have to trade him this spring, especially if he could be used to move up in the draft . But after undergoing ankle surgery, the market will have little interest and his value will be low. He would probably have to be traded during season before the the trade deadline to receive maximum value.

I know that the Colts don't often do this, but I would lean toward the franchise tag.
i am usually a do not pay big on rb.

i think it depends on where the team is at. what contracts we have? whats our cap space? how has his pass blocking developed?

jt is a special player. if the money works then it works. but i would probably lean towards just letting him walk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
apballin (02-05-2023), Dewey 5 (02-05-2023), Mr. Session (02-06-2023), YDFL Commish (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
i am usually a do not pay big on rb.

i think it depends on where the team is at. what contracts we have? whats our cap space? how has his pass blocking developed?

jt is a special player. if the money works then it works. but i would probably lean towards just letting him walk
You're right about the situation. But, you can't just dump JT without his replacement in place or a succession plan such as the transition from Faulk to Edge or even to a lesser extent Edge to Addai.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
JAFF (02-05-2023), Racehorse (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 03:16 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Taylor is entering his age 24 season, which will be his 4th in the NFL. Between college and the NFL, he has 1,838 touches (1,682 carries, 146 receptions) in his last 6 seasons for an average of 306 touches per season. This average was brought down significantly by his injury plagued 2022 season, in which he only had 220 touches, the first of those 6 seasons under 300 touches. Taylor's average for touches through 5 seasons was 324. So while Taylor is young, there's a lot of mileage on his legs. There is a lot of research that suggests that an NFL RB starts to decline once they reach between 2,250 and 2,500 touches in the NFL, but when college is also considered, 3,000 total touches appears to be pretty close to a "magic number" for decline. Age also plays a role, with the age 28 season being the one where most RBs start to decline. Of Taylor's 1,838 touches, 860 have occurred in the NFL. So, depending on which marker you wish to use, Taylor has somewhere between 1,200-1,600 NFL touches and 4 NFL seasons left before attrition begins to take its toll, statistically speaking. There's a chance Taylor could be the next Frank Gore, but that isn't a smart bet with limited resources in the NFL.

Having done this research, provided it was a team friendly deal with all guaranteed money paid by year 3, I wouldn't be opposed to a 4 or 5 year extension for Taylor. Should he not be interested in that, franchise up to twice and find his replacement.

All of the above said, what value might the Bears assign to Jonathan Taylor? I've seen a lot of ridiculous Bears/Colts projected trades, the least ridiculous of which was this year's Day 1 and 2 (1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks) and next year's 1. This was done by Brett Kollman, who fortunately also admitted that he was reflecting a "desperation price" for the Colts. He then stated the leverage the Colts have in negotiations with the Bears: they don't want to move back past 4, because doing so would not guarantee them one of Will Anderson or Jalen Carter, the two players the Bears are ultimately after. So, depending on how highly the Bears value Taylor, using him as a substitute for draft capital might be a great solution for both teams. An example of a fair trade IMO would be this year's 1, Taylor, and next year's 2 to move up to 1. That's valuing Taylor at about a late 1 to early 2, but, more importantly, not giving up next year's 1 when drafting a rookie QB. Even better IMO if Eberflus still likes him as much as when he was here would be this year's 1, Taylor, and Leonard. That would move a lot of uncertainty off of the Colts books and keep all of the draft capital in house, though I don't know how likely the Bears would be to accept that given they just traded Roquan Smith and Leonard's contract is one of the larger ones in the league for a LB, but would be much less for them because the Colts would eat all the guarantees.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:32 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

IF they draft a rookie Qb, Taylor would be a help.

Taylor will run the play and get some yards. Unlike Marshal Faulk, who put the team in second and long too many times. Taylor could take some pressure off a rookie Qb.

I know there are other considerations, I look at taylor as a known commodity, a team guy. Is the team better with a rookie Rb and a possible rookie Qb?
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
IF they draft a rookie Qb, Taylor would be a help.

Taylor will run the play and get some yards. Unlike Marshal Faulk, who put the team in second and long too many times. Taylor could take some pressure off a rookie Qb.

I know there are other considerations, I look at taylor as a known commodity, a team guy. Is the team better with a rookie Rb and a possible rookie
JT's pass blocking would have to improve immensely for him to take the pressure off of a rookie QB.Qb?
Old 02-05-2023, 05:06 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,248 Times in 1,999 Posts

Quote:

Jonathan Taylor's pass-blocking would have to improve immensely in order for him to take the pressure off of a rookie QB.

o

God damnit, Donald.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-05-2023), YDFL Commish (02-05-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 12:07 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
JT's pass blocking would have to improve immensely for him to take the pressure off of a rookie QB.Qb?
Getting yardage on each carry. Rookie E James got positive yardage most carries. No 2nd and 15 to go.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:26 AM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

I am not interested in any long-term high-value contract in a RB with his wear and tear, maybe tag him a year, but getting draft value is probably the better move long term.
The Following User Says Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 07:29 AM

If he’s still hitting on all cylinders then I think they have to work hard to negotiate but if they can’t get him what he needs I think they’ll need to let him go.

I hate that but I do feel like the one thing this franchise can typically get right is identifying RB talent. The only major whiff, in my 30 years, was Richardson. I have faith they’d address the gap there with competence.