ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-28-2023, 02:47 PM

Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,543 Posts

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2023/1...oach-interview

Sounds like the 2nd interview went well....but check out this comment from the article!

The one thing possibly standing in the way of Morris becoming the next head coach of the Colts is owner Jim Irsay. According to Jordan Schultz, general manager Chris Ballard and the front office prefer a candidate like Morris while Irsay prefers interim coach Jeff Saturday.

It also sounds like if the Colts hire Morris it would cost them 2 3rd round picks for compensation...that concerns me a little!

Last edited by CletusPyle; 01-28-2023 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 03:27 PM

Thanked 1,115 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2023/1...oach-interview

Sounds like the 2nd interview went well....but check out this comment from the article!

The one thing possibly standing in the way of Morris becoming the next head coach of the Colts is owner Jim Irsay. According to Jordan Schultz, general manager Chris Ballard and the front office prefer a candidate like Morris while Irsay prefers interim coach Jeff Saturday.

It also sounds like if the Colts hire Morris it would cost them 2 3rd round picks for compensation...that concerns me a little!
Negative. If the Colts hire Morris they RECEIVE comp picks.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ves-explained/

Last edited by Dewey 5; 01-28-2023 at 03:31 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dewey 5 For This Useful Post:
JAFF (01-28-2023), Oldcolt (01-28-2023), Racehorse (01-29-2023), YDFL Commish (01-28-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 07:25 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

It is a crapshoot with head coaches (unless, like Saturday they have proven themselves incapable) so if it is close take the third round draft pick. Ballard loves him his picks. God I hope Irsay isn't losing it totally in his old age and forces Saturday on this franchise again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
njcoltfan (01-29-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey 5 View Post
Negative. If the Colts hire Morris they RECEIVE comp picks.
I was just going by what the article said...maybe it was a misprint or a mistake but this paragraph is from the article:

In the case that Morris is hired by the Colts, McVay would need to find a new a defensive coordinator. Evero would be someone to watch here if he is not retained by the Denver Broncos. The Rams would also receive two third-round compensatory selections if Morris is hired.

So I assume Houston would get the same deal if they hire Ryans....looks to me like they would be getting the better deal!

Last edited by CletusPyle; 01-28-2023 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I was just going by what the article said...maybe it was a misprint or a mistake but this paragraph is from the article:

In the case that Morris is hired by the Colts, McVay would need to find a new a defensive coordinator. Evero would be someone to watch here if he is not retained by the Denver Broncos. The Rams would also receive two third-round compensatory selections if Morris is hired.

So I assume Houston would get the same deal if they hire Ryans....looks to me like they would be getting the better deal!
Pretty sure what that means is that if Morris gets a HC job the NFL will reward the Rams comp picks for developing a minority coach. The Rams wouldn't get picks from the Colts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dewey 5 For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (01-28-2023), njcoltfan (01-29-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 10:19 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Pretty sure what that means is that if Morris gets a HC job the NFL will reward the Rams comp picks for developing a minority coach. The Rams wouldn't get picks from the Colts.
Arent compensation picks awarded by the NFL at the end of certain rounds when you lose players to FA? You cant take picks from a team for hiring someone to a promotion?
Old 01-28-2023, 11:49 PM

Quote:
That makes sense, the paragraph in the article is just badly worded. I obviously don't know much about this process, maybe the writer just assumed everyone reading his article understood the process?

Regardless, I was hoping for a more established coach, someone that could change the direction this franchise seems to be headed down.
Dewey 5 (01-28-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 11:58 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
That makes sense, the paragraph in the article is just badly worded. I obviously don't know much about this process, maybe the writer just assumed everyone reading his article understood the process?

Regardless, I was hoping for a more established coach, someone that could change the direction this franchise seems to be headed down.
That person is either working on a sunday morning pregame show or dead.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Arent compensation picks awarded by the NFL at the end of certain rounds when you lose players to FA? You cant take picks from a team for hiring someone to a promotion?
The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into “both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:
a. Any compensatory Draft picks awarded pursuant to this Policy will be at the end of the third round following all compensatory Draft picks awarded to clubs pursuant to Appendix V of the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
b. If multiple clubs are awarded compensatory Draft picks pursuant to this Policy, then the order of those picks at the end of the third round will follow the original selection order for that Draft established prior to any trades or other adjustments.

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dewey 5 For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (01-29-2023), Indystu2 (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 03:28 AM

Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,475 Posts

Morris really isn't my favorite choice or anything, but I'd rather see him a thousand times over Saturday.
Dewey 5 (01-29-2023)