ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 12-06-2022, 09:40 PM

Default On September 28, 1969

The Colts walked into Metropolitan Stadium in Minneapolis to face off against the Vikings. Three hours later, they staggered off the field on the short end of a 52-14 annihilation in which Joe Kapp and two backups threw for almost 540 yards.

The next year, they finished 11-2-1 and carried home the Lombardi Trophy.

Don’t get me wrong; I’m not saying that the Colts are a year away from the promised land. Next year’s QB is likely to be a rookie who’ll experience the usual growing pains. But, also, don’t mistake that as pessimism. Chris Ballard has put together a heckuva roster that only needs a few tweaks to walk into the big game and carry off the trophy.

Some luck is needed. Drafting a QB always has elements of a crap shoot. But, if Ballard hits with the pick and he adds a couple of pieces to the OL…
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kray007 For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (12-09-2022), JAFF (12-07-2022), Racehorse (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 07:21 AM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray007 View Post
The Colts walked into Metropolitan Stadium in Minneapolis to face off against the Vikings. Three hours later, they staggered off the field on the short end of a 52-14 annihilation in which Joe Kapp and two backups threw for almost 540 yards.

Don’t get me wrong; I’m not saying that the Colts are a year away from the promised land. Next year’s QB is likely to be a rookie who’ll experience the usual growing pains. But, also, don’t mistake that as pessimism. Chris Ballard has put together a heckuva roster that only needs a few tweaks to walk into the big game and carry off the trophy.

Some luck is needed. Drafting a QB always has elements of a crap shoot. But, if Ballard hits with the pick and he adds a couple of pieces to the OL…
Glad someone gets it.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:56 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I was a Colt fan back then. That team wasn't nearly as bad as this one, they finished second and were 8-5. Having said that, I agree completely. Next year who knows? This year we pretty much know.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:09 PM

Thanked 1,260 Times in 720 Posts

Another more recent example was the '02 playoff 41-0 skull fucking we took from the Jets. Although as with the '69 team previously mentioned the '02 team was a lot better than this year.

Getting the OL fixed is just as important as getting a QB b/c if the OL continues to play like this years then it doesn't matter who our QB is.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:17 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
Another more recent example was the '02 playoff 41-0 skull fucking we took from the Jets. Although as with the '69 team previously mentioned the '02 team was a lot better than this year.

Getting the OL fixed is just as important as getting a QB b/c if the OL continues to play like this years then it doesn't matter who our QB is.
Didn't we hear from a liquored up kicker after that game?
Old 12-07-2022, 08:21 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,124 Times in 638 Posts

Parity now more then ever in the NFL hell look at the Rams

Unless you have Burrow, Mahomes or Allen
The Following User Says Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-08-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 08:22 PM

Thanked 1,260 Times in 720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Didn't we hear from a liquored up kicker after that game?
Yep. That's the game where Vandershank ran his mouth off on Canadian TV a week after the beat down.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:27 PM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray007 View Post

I am 100% homer, however I find it difficult to believe this season is the start of a years-long process to fix.

At the core is OL. I'm a bit pissed at Ballard for his comment that "y'all pressured me to draft a WR". Yes, Pierce is good and potentially great, but honeslty, were all grown ups here, you let some key players walk, and didnt draft anyone behind them.... Pierce is really the difference between a top 5 OL and the bottom? He's not selling anyone on this bullshit.

To a certain extent, if we cant protect and playcall to a QB's strengths, we cant be successful. One of my lessons learned in the last 5 years is how talented Philip Rivers actually is. And I also think he is a douchebag.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 12-08-2022, 07:31 AM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
I am 100% homer, however I find it difficult to believe this season is the start of a years-long process to fix.

At the core is OL. I'm a bit pissed at Ballard for his comment that "y'all pressured me to draft a WR". Yes, Pierce is good and potentially great, but honeslty, were all grown ups here, you let some key players walk, and didnt draft anyone behind them.... Pierce is really the difference between a top 5 OL and the bottom? He's not selling anyone on this bullshit.

To a certain extent, if we cant protect and playcall to a QB's strengths, we cant be successful. One of my lessons learned in the last 5 years is how talented Philip Rivers actually is. And I also think he is a douchebag.
I think too much was made out of that soundbite. I don't think he was making the point you are insinuating, but that when a team gets a strong area, another area becomes weak. That is the nature of the salary cap, and the short peaks of the careers of NFL players.
Pez (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 08:34 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post

Did he really make that comment? Because that is a bad look. Ballard is an NFL GM. No amount of fan pressure should influence his pick.

That said, Alec Pierce is a really talented WR. He could certainly point out "What guard was available that would've given us the value Alec does?" And that would've been a completely valid argument that doesn't make him look bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-08-2022)