ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 06-07-2019, 06:58 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
The Ol will not stop the other team and relying on the offense to always have the lead is something we witnessed in the Manning years, it doesn;t always work especially in the playoffs. You really have a simple view of things if you think there is nothing in between what we had with Pagano and Dungy.
Nothing always works all the time. That's life. How did this team lose to Jax 6-0 last year? WTF. The offense stunk that day.

The NFL has morphed into a league with athletic QB's and play fast up and down the field. A large, slow D can't compete with speed. Speed never goes into a slump. A large slow D can't catch Pat Mahomes. And moving him off his spot doesn't seem to bother him, that guy can throw from any positon. So you need to go HIT him. And he's not the last of fast mobile QB's, he is the future. And does anyone have a power run system in the NFL other than Dallas?

Yeah, I'm keeping it simple, because I'm not a GM. I don't pretend to be one on the internet. And the Dungy D works because it is simple. Players don't have time to make decisions, so you give them less thinking and more doing. Defense is reacting, and then you get to the ball, all 11 guys. That's how you can play young guys with less experience.

And I believe if Ballard can draft a 310 lb DT who can run like Warren Sapp, he will take him. But those guys are rare. You he's not going to sign a guy 2 gap blocking sponge because that doesn't fit this D. They don't need Tony Sarigusa. They are looking for John Randle.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Nothing always works all the time. That's life. How did this team lose to Jax 6-0 last year? WTF. The offense stunk that day.

The NFL has morphed into a league with athletic QB's and play fast up and down the field. A large, slow D can't compete with speed. Speed never goes into a slump. A large slow D can't catch Pat Mahomes. And moving him off his spot doesn't seem to bother him, that guy can throw from any positon. So you need to go HIT him. And he's not the last of fast mobile QB's, he is the future. And does anyone have a power run system in the NFL other than Dallas?

Yeah, I'm keeping it simple, because I'm not a GM. I don't pretend to be one on the internet. And the Dungy D works because it is simple. Players don't have time to make decisions, so you give them less thinking and more doing. Defense is reacting, and then you get to the ball, all 11 guys. That's how you can play young guys with less experience.

And I believe if Ballard can draft a 310 lb DT who can run like Warren Sapp, he will take him. But those guys are rare. You he's not going to sign a guy 2 gap blocking sponge because that doesn't fit this D. They don't need Tony Sarigusa. They are looking for John Randle.
Speed most certainly does go into a slump--any playoff game ever played on a bad field would completely neutralize a bunch of lighter, faster players. That isn't as common with field turf and such but it always seems like there's one or two key games where the field conditions take away any speed advantage. I don't think world-class speed was going to solve KC in January.

Also, I think the people in this thread have a good grasp of the idea that Ted Washington and Tony Siragusa-type giants at DT are dinosaurs as far as this defense goes.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I advocate running the team like a football team trying to win games, not a business, not as a fan. That means fielding the most complete team you can to increase your chances of getting to a Super Bowl.

Running it as a business would mean you maximize profit while minimizing expenses. The point is to win Super Bowls, not increase your profit margin no matter what. I’m in favor of maximizing their chances year in and year out. You want to make a money ball argument about signing free agents? Go ahead. But you get all squirrely every time we sign someone and then we get the same posts. A long lecture on what Ballard’s vision is, as if everyone on here doesn’t already know it, then some hand wringing about him spending too much money and potentially wasting all the cap space. Ballard isn’t going to waste it, and he is also going to sign free agents. He inquirers about the top free agents every year, and we are in on some till a team blows the offer out of the water. Then we back off because the costs outweigh the benefits.

Ballard is trying to identify guys that are potentially going to break out in their second contract. Some guys are late bloomers, especially linemen. Guys that might be buried on depth charts and need reps to improve. Also vets can provide a boost, but you need to go by a case by case basis. Free agency is not a fix all, and it isn’t fools gold either. We got good production out of Hunt, Autry, and other signings. You can build teams in multiple ways. You want to build through the draft? Great, you need to hit on picks. You want to build through FA? Great you need to hit on your signings. It comes down to evaluating personnel and making the right decisions whatever your methodology.

Preemptive, not proactive. Ballard is proactive. But the last couple years everyone on here has complained about obvious holes on the roster. Everyone can see them. They are not addressed till after they are exposed. It’s happened twice so far. Ever teams has holes, you try to cover them the best you can. I would like to see more effort in that area.

I think you are the one who needs to work on the reading comprehension. I understand what Colt classic is saying in that statement, I don’t think you do though. That’s the problem.
I’ll stop “lecturing” people about sound management of team resources when people stop trying to justify the signing of an over-the-hill player based upon the amount of cap space that we have. It’s a lame justification. And the only “hand wringing” I see is the anxiety that so many here have expressed over the large amount of cap space the Colts are sitting on.

Looking through all of the garbage in your last post, it doesn’t appear we even disagree very much in principle. Of course you need to draft well, and of course you need to make good free agent signings. That’s really all I’ve been saying all along. Where we disagree is how that strategy is implemented. It is indeed a cost benefit analysis, just as you’ve said, and I just don’t think the costs of signing the type of older players you’ve been advocating (like McCoy) are likely to provide a equivalent or greater benefit. Time will tell, I guess, and it certainly isn't impossible, but as we sit here today I just don’t think history suggests that’s a good move.

But I never said we shouldn’t sign free agents – that’s a ridiculous distortion – and with perhaps the exception of the Houston signing, I’ve only spoken up when people here start criticizing the team’s failure to sign a ultra high end free agent or an expensive castoff from another team. I praised the 2018 free agent class we signed, which led to a fair amount of criticism and similar comments last off season (perhaps even from you – but I’m not going to hunt down those comments right now), and had no problem with the Funchess signing except for the length of contract/lack of options stuff I mentioned. I’m not a big fan of the Houston signing – primarily for the costs and guarantees involved. That’s it.

P.S. So now Ballard is both reactive AND proactive - do I have that right? (sorry, couldn't resist)
Old 06-07-2019, 11:11 AM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

How is McCoy over the Hill? Isnt he the same age as Houston?
The Following User Says Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
Coltsfever (06-13-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 01:04 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck4Reich View Post
How is McCoy over the Hill? Isnt he the same age as Houston?
He’s not, we just didn’t sign him so he’s over the hill.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
apballin (06-07-2019), Colt Classic (06-07-2019), JAFF (06-07-2019), Luck4Reich (06-07-2019), omahacolt (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 02:18 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Now I get it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (06-07-2019), Coltsfever (06-13-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 02:50 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Come on, man. I am okay with us not signing him, but the dude is not over the hill. He may be at the start of a decline, but he has a couple of productive years left.
Butter (06-08-2019), Chromeburn (06-07-2019), Coltsfever (06-13-2019), JAFF (06-07-2019), Luck4Reich (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Out of everything I said, THAT's what you choose to focus on? My use of the phrase "over the hill"? That's really weak. I guess when you have nothing else to say, you're left with nitpicking terminology.

For what it's worth, in the context of an NFL player, I view "over the hill" as simply being past the player's prime - or in other words, on the downside of his career. By this definition, BOTH McCoy and Houston are over the hill in my view. You might have a different personal definition, but I'm pretty sure mine is reasonable. And I honestly can't believe this is what the discussion has devolved into.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:09 PM
Post whore

Quote:
He is the hill.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:11 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Classic View Post
Speed most certainly does go into a slump--any playoff game ever played on a bad field would completely neutralize a bunch of lighter, faster players. That isn't as common with field turf and such but it always seems like there's one or two key games where the field conditions take away any speed advantage. I don't think world-class speed was going to solve KC in January.

Also, I think the people in this thread have a good grasp of the idea that Ted Washington and Tony Siragusa-type giants at DT are dinosaurs as far as this defense goes.
So fat slow guys do better on muddy fields than fast guys?? Same conditions. The law of inertia will tell you a smaller guy stops faster than a big guy moving the same speed. A bad field is a bad field for everybody.