ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-01-2021, 03:23 AM

Default So, what did Belichick do vs Tampa?

A lot of armchair owners are after Frank Reich’s scalp for running 18 straight times vs Tampa. So, I thought it was interesting to note what future hall of fame coach Bill Belichick did when his Patriots faced the Bucs early this year.

It was week 4, and the Patriots weren’t having much success on the ground. On the game, they ran a total of 8 times for minus 1 yard. So, how did Bill respond? He abandoned the run and threw the ball on 27 consecutive plays.

After the game, he was asked about it and replied that, at some point, you realize that the run isn’t working.

Bob Kraft fired him the next morning.

And, if you’re tempted to dismiss that as an anomaly, consider week 1…cowboys vs Bucs. The Cowpokes run it 18 times and throw 58 passes. At one point, they had a streak of 14 straight passes. Later, they put together another of 12.

Both teams lost, and no one suggested that abandoning the run was responsible.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kray007 For This Useful Post:
apballin (12-01-2021), CletusPyle (12-01-2021), Colts And Orioles (12-02-2021), Racehorse (12-01-2021), rcubed (12-01-2021), YDFL Commish (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 05:09 AM

On to Houston.

For me, the real test is New England.

If they can’t beat the Patriots…
Old 12-01-2021, 09:02 AM

Thanked 2,641 Times in 1,556 Posts

I thought, great we get a bye week right before that important game with the patriots....then I noticed they also have their bye week. Is that the way that always works, they match up teams after they both have a bye week?
Old 12-01-2021, 10:09 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Session View Post

On to Houston.

For me, the real test is New England ...... if they can’t beat the Patriots ......

o

Unfortunately, the Colts put themselves in that position. If they had won a couple more of the games in which they blew big leads and were 8-4 instead of 6-6, then putting up a good game and losing a close one against the Patriots would have been sufficient ...... instead, beating the Patriots is absolutely imperative.

The Patriots game could have been the difference between winning the division title and having to settle for a Wilcard berth. Now, it is (most likely) the difference between any kind of playoff berth at all and sitting home for the post-season.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 12-01-2021, 10:40 AM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray007 View Post
A lot of armchair owners are after Frank Reich’s scalp for running 18 straight times vs Tampa. So, I thought it was interesting to note what future hall of fame coach Bill Belichick did when his Patriots faced the Bucs early this year.

It was week 4, and the Patriots weren’t having much success on the ground. On the game, they ran a total of 8 times for minus 1 yard. So, how did Bill respond? He abandoned the run and threw the ball on 27 consecutive plays.

After the game, he was asked about it and replied that, at some point, you realize that the run isn’t working.

And, if you’re tempted to dismiss that as an anomaly, consider week 1…cowboys vs Bucs. The Cowpokes run it 18 times and throw 58 passes. At one point, they had a streak of 14 straight passes. Later, they put together another of 12.

Well to be fair... There's a local Boston radio guy named Stan Stockitch that spent an hour shitting on Bill Belichick after the game..

So... Get better at coaching, Bill.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 10:42 AM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray007 View Post

You're positive no fans of either team posted on their msg boards that the lack of runs cost their teams the games against them. I mean isn't it pretty standard that fans go off about coaching costing the team WHENEVER there is a loss? I am surprised to hear none of them did. BB is one thing, McCarthy, I gotta believe Boys fans blame him for breathing- and probably rightfully so.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

Unfortunately, the Colts put themselves in that position. If they had won a couple more of the games in which they blew big leads and were 8-4 instead of 6-6, then putting up a good game and losing a close one against the Patriots would have been sufficient ...... instead, beating the Patriots is absolutely imperative.

The Patriots game could have been the difference between winning the division title and having to settle for a Wilcard berth. Now, it is (most likely) the difference between any kind of playoff berth at all and sitting home for the post-season.

o
I don’t believe the significance of that game lies entirely with playoff seeding.

If New England is already in a better position than Indianapolis, post Brady, it’s going to be pretty depressing.

Indianapolis absolutely has to be entering that game with the identical mindset they had against Buffalo. I don’t know how Ballard or Irsay could possibly look themselves in the mirror, assuming they actually care, if they lose that game.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:03 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Session View Post

I don’t believe the significance of that game lies entirely with playoff seeding.

If New England is already in a better position than Indianapolis, post-Brady, it’s going to be pretty depressing.

Indianapolis absolutely has to be entering that game with the identical mindset they had against Buffalo. I don’t know how Ballard or Irsay could possibly look themselves in the mirror, assuming they actually care, if they lose that game.

o

I know that I am probably in the minority here, but I don't mind seeing Belichick succeed without Brady nearly as much as I mind seeing Brady succeed without Belichick. In my rat's ass of an opinion, Brady is not as great of a quarterback as were Dan Marino and Peyton Manning were, in spite of the fact that he has been the starting quarterback for 10 conference championship teams and 7 world championship teams.

One of the best gauges of a player's value is to see what the team does without him. In 2008, the Patriots went 11-5 when Tom Brady missed the entire season with an injury ...... in 2011, the Colts went 2-14 when Peyton Manning missed the entire season with an injury.

I think that Brady is overrated, which is not to say that he is not an all-time great. I think that Brady is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time ...... I just don't think that he is necessarily THE greatest quarterback of all time, which is why he is (in my rat's ass of an opinion) overrated.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 12-01-2021 at 05:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 05:55 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
o

I know that I am probably in the minority here, but I don't mind seeing Belichick succeed without Brady nearly as much as I mind seeing Brady succeed without Belichick. In my rat's ass of an opinion, Brady is not as great of a quarterback as were Dan Marino and Peyton Manning were, in spite of the fact that he has been the starting quarterback for 10 conference championship teams and 7 world championship teams.

One of the best gauges of a player's value is to see what the team does without him. In 2008, the Patriots went 11-5 when Tom Brady missed the entire season with an injury ...... in 2011, the Colts went 2-14 when Peyton Manning missed the entire season with an injury.

I think that Brady is overrated, which is not to say that he is not an all-time great. I think that Brady is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time ...... I just don't think that he is necessarily THE greatest quarterback of all time, which is why he is (in my rat's ass of an opinion) overrated.

o
I don't think he is even close to the passing talent that any of the top guys of all time have been. Hell I think he is an average passer in the overall scheme of things. However, intelligence wise, and that means being the field general and utilizing every single possible thing available to help his team win, he is the best there has ever been. Peyton was the best I think that has ever existed with respect to diagnosing and reacting, better than Brady. However Brady has also been a genius in utilizing the referees to help his teams win- just like we saw Sunday. In many respects, he is right on par with Michael in terms of being able to manipulate the overall game to benefit him over a sustained duration of participation. Peyton never did that, so in that regard, hard to dispute how crafty Brady has been. That craftiness was so pervasive that it shaped the rules to such a degree that he has been able to play for 20+ years- touching him comes with a very high probability of a flag.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 06:01 PM
Historian

Quote:
o

o

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post

I don't think he is even close to the passing talent that any of the top guys of all time have been. Hell I think he is an average passer in the overall scheme of things. However, intelligence wise, and that means being the field general and utilizing every single possible thing available to help his team win, he is the best there has ever been. Peyton was the best I think that has ever existed with respect to diagnosing and reacting, better than Brady. However Brady has also been a genius in utilizing the referees to help his teams win- just like we saw Sunday. In many respects, he is right on par with Michael in terms of being able to manipulate the overall game to benefit him over a sustained duration of participation. Peyton never did that, so in that regard, hard to dispute how crafty Brady has been. That craftiness was so pervasive that it shaped the rules to such a degree that he has been able to play for 20+ years- touching him comes with a very high probability of a flag.

o

Wilt Chamberlain was such a dominant force, they changed the rules of the game to stop him. With Michael Jordan, they did the opposite ...... they changed the rules of the game TO ENHANCE AND MARKET HIM MORE.

You are pointing out that Brady (like Jordan) has had done things by the league/the referees to cater to him and his marketability. To me, that does not illustrate the player's greatness, but rather illustrates how the player's value gets overrated.

I think that a better gauge of Brady's greatness is how he almost always takes advantage of an opponent's mistakes. If you make a mistake against Brady's teams......on either side of the ball......you are going to pay for it. To me, that illustrates his greatness more than the fact that the league has fallen all over itself to cater to his personal needs.

o

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 12-02-2021 at 02:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
TheMugwump (12-01-2021)