ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-30-2021, 03:20 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post

I'll probably get hammered for saying this, but have the Colts in Indinapolis (1984 - Present) really ever had a great coach ?? I know that people say Dungy was great, but only getting one championship while having Peyton Manning in his prime for 7 seasons tarnishes his legacy, in my opinion. I'd say they might have had a great coach for one season, but let Arians go when Chuck Pagano recovered.

When you compare Reich to the previous coaches with the Colts since they moved to Indy in March of 1984, he may be the second-best behind Dungy, and if he can win a couple of Super Bowls before he is replaced or retires, he might end up being the best !!! He does make some real bone-headed calls at times, but I think that he has more upside than downside !!! I like him, and I do believe that this team is poised to go to the next level over the next 5 years !!!

o

One of the first things that I think of about Dungy coaching the Colts was when he allowed Peyton Manning to overrule him in a playoff game ...... during the game.

In the 2005 divisional playoff loss to the Steelers, the Colts were down by a score of 21-3 with the 4th quarter about to start. Tony Dungy told the punt team to take the field. Realizing that that would have essentially been conceding the game, Manning defied Dungy and told the punt team to get the hell off of the field. Dungy simply raised his eyebrows, nodded his head in agreement, and said, "OK." The Colts went for it on 4th and 2, got the first down, and proceeded to score a touchdown on that drive to cut the lead to a manageable 21-10.

Dungy allowed one of his players to veto his decision in a nationally-televised playoff game with tens of millions of viewers watching ...... THAT is an example of being a great coach.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 03:49 PM

Thanked 1,568 Times in 891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
All I know is that if the Bucs did that to Manning he would have thrown again and again.

Turnovers are the reason we lost. the Bucs scored 24 points off of turn overs. Otherwise the D kept them pretty much in check and we were moving the ball at will.
September 26, 2004. I remember it clearly since it was the last game I saw in Indy as of this writing. Colts started the game against the Packers with 22 straight passes with the Packers stacking the line against Edge. Of course Carson Wentz is no Peyton Manning, but I don't remember anyone banging on Dungy because Peyton checked out of runs based on what he saw on the defense, just like Wentz did multiple times on Sunday.

Of course Indy won that game 45 - 31, so criticism was low.

As AlbanyEd is fond of saying, success has a thousand fathers and failure is an orphan.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMugwump For This Useful Post:
Puck (11-30-2021), Racehorse (12-01-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 03:56 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
I'll probably get hammered for saying this, but have the Colts in Indy really ever had a great coach? I know people say Dungy was great, but only getting one championship while having Peyton Manning in his prime for 7 seasons tarnishes his legacy in my opinion. I'd say they might have had a great coach for one season, but let Arians go when Chuck Pagano recovered.

When you compare Reich to the previous coaches with the Colts since they moved to Indy, he may be the second best behind Dungy, and If he can win a couple of Super Bowls before he is replaced or retires, he might end up being the best! But he does make some real bonehead calls at times, but I think he has more upside than downside! I like him and I do believe this team is poised to go to the next level over the next 5 years!
but honestly how many truly great coaches have there been in the NFL? and how many at any one given time?

I mean look at the current coaches. Who is great?
Belichick (but tainted with cheating)
Reid (many considered him good but not great until he won in KC)
Payton? Tomlin?
then you have a bunch of good or up an coming coaches.
Reich has some head scratching moments but I still think he is in the upper echelon of current coaches.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (11-30-2021), Racehorse (12-01-2021), TheMugwump (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 05:03 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray007 View Post
For the first 3 quarters, the Bucs stacked 8 men in the box, and Wentz threw. In the 4th Quarter, they dropped 5 into coverage, leaving only 6 in the box, and Wentz started handing the ball to Taylor.

If you want to know if the decision to throw was the right one, all you have to do is look at the fact that, in crunch time, with the game on the line, the Bucs did something they swore they wouldn’t do…they quit concentrating on stopping Taylor. They decided that, if they didn’t change up the gameplan, Wentz was going to beat them with his arm.

The loss stings, but going forward, it helps Taylor. You know that coaches like Belichick will be studying this game, and they’re all gonna see the same thing…you can’t beat the Colts by stacking the box and stuffing the run.
So they stack the box. Go double tight double wide and got get 3.5 yards. Then run backside play action
Old 11-30-2021, 05:05 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

One of the first things that I think of about Dungy coaching the Colts was when he allowed Peyton Manning to overrule him in a playoff game ...... during the game.

In the 2005 divisional playoff loss to the Steelers, the Colts were down by a score of 21-3 with the 4th quarter about to start. Tony Dungy told the punt team to take the field. Realizing that that would have essentially been conceding the game, Manning defied Dungy and told the punt team to get the hell off of the field. Dungy simply raised his eyebrows, nodded his head in agreement, and said, "OK." The Colts went for it on 4th and 2, got the first down, and proceeded to score a touchdown on that drive to cut the lead to a manageable 21-10.

Dungy allowed one of his players to veto his decision in a nationally-televised playoff game with tens of millions of viewers watching ...... THAT is an example of being a great coach.

o
Thats a HOF coach trusting a HOF Qb. Not exactly what we have here
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMugwump View Post
September 26, 2004. I remember it clearly since it was the last game I saw in Indy as of this writing. Colts started the game against the Packers with 22 straight passes with the Packers stacking the line against Edge. Of course Carson Wentz is no Peyton Manning, but I don't remember anyone banging on Dungy because Peyton checked out of runs based on what he saw on the defense, just like Wentz did multiple times on Sunday.

Of course Indy won that game 45 - 31, so criticism was low.

As AlbanyEd is fond of saying, success has a thousand fathers and failure is an orphan.
Crazy how everyone on here dismissed these FACTS.

Peyton and Eli have said the same on his MNF show. Make the defense change or keep attacking
TheMugwump (12-01-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Some on here do not want to acknowledge that the Bucs had no answer for our passing attack!!!!! It was the turnovers that saved their ass!!!

Carson Wentz was ON!!!!
Racehorse (12-01-2021), Spike (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 07:07 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Some on here do not want to acknowledge that the Bucs had no answer for our passing attack!!!!! It was the turnovers that saved their ass!!!

Carson Wentz was ON!!!!
Great point. Even greater point is we did it your way and lost, more than once this year. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is...well we know what it is-a loss.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Great point. Even greater point is we did it your way and lost, more than once this year. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is...well we know what it is-a loss.
My way????
Old 11-30-2021, 07:38 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I so apologize. The way you are supporting