ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-29-2021, 11:08 PM

Default It’s really simple, and if you don’t understand…

For the first 3 quarters, the Bucs stacked 8 men in the box, and Wentz threw. In the 4th Quarter, they dropped 5 into coverage, leaving only 6 in the box, and Wentz started handing the ball to Taylor.

If you want to know if the decision to throw was the right one, all you have to do is look at the fact that, in crunch time, with the game on the line, the Bucs did something they swore they wouldn’t do…they quit concentrating on stopping Taylor. They decided that, if they didn’t change up the gameplan, Wentz was going to beat them with his arm.

The loss stings, but going forward, it helps Taylor. You know that coaches like Belichick will be studying this game, and they’re all gonna see the same thing…you can’t beat the Colts by stacking the box and stuffing the run.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kray007 For This Useful Post:
albany ed (11-30-2021), apballin (11-30-2021), Racehorse (11-30-2021), ukcolt (11-30-2021), YDFL Commish (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 01:02 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

o

Sunday's loss will sting less if we beat the Patriots, particularly because they are an AFC team (unlike the Buccaneers.)

The win over the Bills made the losses to the Ravens and the Titans sting a little less ...... let's do it again.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
apballin (11-30-2021), Discflinger (11-30-2021), Racehorse (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 03:26 AM

Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,174 Posts

This is dumb, just like not running at all for that long in the game. Just dumb when it is the strength of the team. Not being run heavy and going with what the D gives is one thing, but come the fuck on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (11-30-2021), Spike (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 04:07 AM
Post whore

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
This is dumb, just like not running at all for that long in the game. Just dumb when it is the strength of the team. Not being run heavy and going with what the D gives is one thing, but come the fuck on.
Yep!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2021, 11:44 AM

Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray007 View Post
For the first 3 quarters, the Bucs stacked 8 men in the box, and Wentz threw. In the 4th Quarter, they dropped 5 into coverage, leaving only 6 in the box, and Wentz started handing the ball to Taylor.

If you want to know if the decision to throw was the right one, all you have to do is look at the fact that, in crunch time, with the game on the line, the Bucs did something they swore they wouldn’t do…they quit concentrating on stopping Taylor. They decided that, if they didn’t change up the gameplan, Wentz was going to beat them with his arm.

The loss stings, but going forward, it helps Taylor. You know that coaches like Belichick will be studying this game, and they’re all gonna see the same thing…you can’t beat the Colts by stacking the box and stuffing the run.
So with the game on the line...the Bucs go back to dropping guys in coverage, only to see Taylor gash them, because they thought Wentz was going to beat them with his arm.

If that was the strategy it was a dumb one. They had much better success stacking the box and letting the Colts become one dimensional. Like the Colts literally didn't score at all in the 2nd half other than Taylor's TD at the end when they were using the above strategy. And the Colts really didn't score when they were passing the ball 25 times in a row. Yes, the Bucs couldn't just rely on getting turnover after turnover (even though they did), but they definitely could rely on getting pressure on Wentz, which they did over and over and over in the 2nd half.

Like the only good thing about that strategy was the Colts burned some time off the clock, I guess. It definitely wasn't good for any other reason.

Last edited by nate505; 11-30-2021 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
The Bucs have a great D, and with 8 in the box, they can stop anybody from running. They stopped Taylor cold in the 1st Quarter, holding him to 2 yards. If you stick with pounding the rock, you’re gonna end up with 40 yards on the ground, and lose by 20 points.

For anyone who argues that abandoning the run led to the loss, I have one response. Post hoc ergo procter hoc. It’s a classical logical fallacy. You might as well argue that they lost because they wore throwback uniforms
Old 11-30-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate505 View Post
So with the game on the line...the Bucs go back to dropping guys in coverage, only to see Taylor gash them, because they thought Wentz was going to beat them with his arm.

If that was the strategy it was a dumb one. They had much better success stacking the box and letting the Colts become one dimensional. Like the Colts literally didn't score at all in the 2nd half other than Taylor's TD at the end when they were using the above strategy. And the Colts really didn't score when they were passing the ball 25 times in a row. Yes, the Bucs couldn't just rely on getting turnover after turnover (even though they did), but they definitely could rely on getting pressure on Wentz, which they did over and over and over in the 2nd half.

Like the only good thing about that strategy was the Colts burned some time off the clock, I guess. It definitely wasn't good for any other reason.
Well, first of all, they TD to end the 1st half came in the midst of that 25 play streak. And…

The Colts were moving the ball, virtually, at will the entire 3rd quarter. One drive ended on a fluke play, and the other ended at the Bucs 5 after Winfield shoved Pittman.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:56 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Buffalo entered the Colts game with the # 1 D in the league. They went with plenty of stacked box. They left with 236 on their head. Yeah I have heard the comments that their D was somewhat of a paper tiger due to their schedule. Fine. They were still the top dog in the AFC many picking to win the SB, we demolished them by imposing our will and playing OUR game.

26 straight passes, DGAF who it is against, is going to end up costing you at some point, and it did. 1 FL and 1 INT. Both huge momentum plays that went against us.

Sorry, but with this OL and with JT, at some point you have an obligation to give him a few touches in that span just to keep them honest.

Frank Reich is an abysmal game manager. He's proven it over and over again.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Butter (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 02:33 PM

Thanked 2,641 Times in 1,556 Posts

I'll probably get hammered for saying this, but have the Colts in Indy really ever had a great coach? I know people say Dungy was great, but only getting one championship while having Peyton Manning in his prime for 7 seasons tarnishes his legacy in my opinion. I'd say they might have had a great coach for one season, but let Arians go when Chuck Pagano recovered.

When you compare Reich to the previous coaches with the Colts since they moved to Indy, he may be the second best behind Dungy, and If he can win a couple of Super Bowls before he is replaced or retires, he might end up being the best! But he does make some real bonehead calls at times, but I think he has more upside than downside! I like him and I do believe this team is poised to go to the next level over the next 5 years!
Racehorse (12-01-2021), TheMugwump (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

All I know is that if the Bucs did that to Manning he would have thrown again and again.

Turnovers are the reason we lost. the Bucs scored 24 points off of turn overs. Otherwise the D kept them pretty much in check and we were moving the ball at will.
Racehorse (12-01-2021)