ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-29-2021, 01:47 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts
Default Fire frank reich

So, this article just appeared on Yahoo. This is Frank's response in regards to the lack of the run and throwing it 26 times straight:

"Normally someone will say something to me. Nothing was said to me during that stretch but sometimes something like that will be said,” Reich said. “The reason probably no one was saying anything was because a lot of the things we were calling were working. A lot of them were working against a really good defense. So, I think that’s probably why.”

Says it all. The response is so low-key snarky and to me personifies what I bet he is like in terms of being "smart" and others not being so leave him alone. However the thing that stands out to me is the very first statement:

"Normally someone will say something to me. Nothing was said to me during that stretch but sometimes something like that will be said,”

So the head cheese admits that others on the staff / team have had to question what he is doing with play calling during games- ala- "do you realize what you are doing". "NORMALLY"- so is it like pretty much an every game thing, because as a fan, it's pretty damn close to that, seldom do you watch him coach and feel "good" about his overall management. He is a QB coaching a QB he wants to prop up because of his emotional investment in him. It's creating hero ball stuff and it's killing this very good, very well rounded team.

If he isn't fired, Ballard isn't holding up his end of the deal. This guy is a disaster, he is way too focused on what HE can do vs what the TEAM can do. He needs to go!
Old 11-29-2021, 02:10 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

this is dumb and you are reaching. head coaches should rely on assistant coaches to point things out that he may not be noticing, that's one of the reasons you have assistant coaches.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (11-29-2021), Colts And Orioles (12-08-2021), Racehorse (11-29-2021), TheMugwump (11-30-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
this is dumb and you are reaching. head coaches should rely on assistant coaches to point things out that he may not be noticing, that's one of the reasons you have assistant coaches.
You have JT and you don't realize you have passed the ball 26 straight times, and your assistants aren't saying anything. You have lost momentum and are watching your lead waste away and the assistants don't say anything.

Fine, can the assistants too.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 02:32 PM

The Colts began this game determined to beat the Bucs with a strong running game. The Bucs began the game determined to take Taylor out of the equation and they succeeded . It was the passing game that put the Colts up 24 to 14. In the third quarter I believe that Bucs were determined to continue to stop the run, thinking the Colts would come out running to begin the 2nd half. So passing was called for. I do believe there should have been some runs mixed in but if an RPO is called and the pass proves to be the best option then that's what they did. The decision is not done before hand but as the play unfolds. It was unfortunate turnovers that cost the Colts this game, not the play calling. To me, the dumbest play call was when they went for it on 4th and 2 instead of kicking the chip shot field goal. It worked and they got a TD, but I'll go to my grave believing it was the wrong call. There's an old saying, success has a thousand fathers and failure is an orphan.

You can point to a lot of things that cost the Colts that game, but when your opponent is of the quality of the Bucs and the QB is Brady, you cannot turn the ball over like the Colts did. Coaches call the plays, players execute the plays. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but the coaches never turn the ball over. That's on the players.
Racehorse (11-29-2021), TheMugwump (11-30-2021), YDFL Commish (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
The Colts began this game determined to beat the Bucs with a strong running game. The Bucs began the game determined to take Taylor out of the equation and they succeeded . It was the passing game that put the Colts up 24 to 14. In the third quarter I believe that Bucs were determined to continue to stop the run, thinking the Colts would come out running to begin the 2nd half. So passing was called for. I do believe there should have been some runs mixed in but if an RPO is called and the pass proves to be the best option then that's what they did. The decision is not done before hand but as the play unfolds. It was unfortunate turnovers that cost the Colts this game, not the play calling. To me, the dumbest play call was when they went for it on 4th and 2 instead of kicking the chip shot field goal. It worked and they got a TD, but I'll go to my grave believing it was the wrong call. There's an old saying, success has a thousand fathers and failure is an orphan.

You can point to a lot of things that cost the Colts that game, but when your opponent is of the quality of the Bucs and the QB is Brady, you cannot turn the ball over like the Colts did. Coaches call the plays, players execute the plays. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but the coaches never turn the ball over. That's on the players.
DE's don't even try to hedge the run when you've basically stood up and said "we're not running, so come as hot as you can off the corner". Our PassPro has been pretty bad all season and was again last night, and the coaching decisions fed right into that becoming a huge turning point in the game.

The man has proven he is guilty of falling in love with the pass. And I too will go to the grave believing something, I believe Frank Reich has emotionally attached himself to the Wentz rise from the ashes story and we have play calls going that direction to further support that cause. I will also go the grave believing we are losing ball games because of it.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:50 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
You have JT and you don't realize you have passed the ball 26 straight times, and your assistants aren't saying anything. You have lost momentum and are watching your lead waste away and the assistants don't say anything.

Fine, can the assistants too.
your post implied that having someone point something out to the HC was a bad thing.

I agree, even with the pass working, not having some runs mixed into a stretch of 26 plays is not how to operate.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 04:16 PM

This is silly.

Over the course of those 26 passes, the Colts scored a touchdown, moved the ball 45 yards to the Buccaneer 20, and moved into Buccaneer territory yet again.

Not a single drive stalled because they failed to convert a 3rd down.

You can argue that running the ball would have kept the Bucs honest, but on the interception, the Colts had Pittman matched up against a lone Safety, which is just about as good as it gets.

The NFL’s game replay shows something weird going on in Pittman’s stride, almost as if he was shoved by Winfield. But, mysteriously enough, they give us no slow motion view of the play, and replays start after the point where Pittman broke stride

As far as I’m concerned, the Pascal fumble was the crucial play of the game. It breathed life into a Buccaneer Offense that had been flopping around like a beached trout.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kray007 For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (11-29-2021), YDFL Commish (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray007 View Post
This is silly.

Over the course of those 26 passes, the Colts scored a touchdown, moved the ball 45 yards to the Buccaneer 20, and moved into Buccaneer territory yet again.

Not a single drive stalled because they failed to convert a 3rd down.

You can argue that running the ball would have kept the Bucs honest, but on the interception, the Colts had Pittman matched up against a lone Safety, which is just about as good as it gets.

The NFL’s game replay shows something weird going on in Pittman’s stride, almost as if he was shoved by Winfield. But, mysteriously enough, they give us no slow motion view of the play, and replays start after the point where Pittman broke stride

As far as I’m concerned, the Pascal fumble was the crucial play of the game. It breathed life into a Buccaneer Offense that had been flopping around like a beached trout.
No question at all that there was a tug on Pittman to gain leverage and of course it isn't called, of course. Who F'ing knows, with the WWE sh!t this league pulls, sh!t Frank may not even be the one making the calls.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
TheMugwump (11-30-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 04:35 PM

Thanked 1,649 Times in 790 Posts

This is silly.

If Taylor had torn his ACL on rush attempt #28 last week, you would blast Reich for being an idiot and keeping him in a blowout game.

Likewise, if we miss on 4th and goal yesterday... "Frank Reich doesn't like points."... But, we scored a TD so now it was a good decision.

If Taylor fumbled at the TB 20 instead of Wentz yesterday ... "Why didn't we keep throwing it? Wentz was hot and TB was selling out against the run! Goddamn Frank Reich!"

Guys turn into retroactive Nostradamus after a loss.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (11-29-2021), Racehorse (11-29-2021), TheMugwump (11-30-2021), YDFL Commish (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
This is silly.

If Taylor had torn his ACL on rush attempt #28 last week, you would blast Reich for being an idiot and keeping him in a blowout game.

Likewise, if we miss on 4th and goal yesterday... "Frank Reich doesn't like points."... But, we scored a TD so now it was a good decision.

If Taylor fumbled at the TB 20 instead of Wentz yesterday ... "Why didn't we keep throwing it? Wentz was hot and TB was selling out against the run! Goddamn Frank Reich!"

Guys turn into retroactive Nostradamus after a loss.
Been on the Frank sucks train for a lot longer than yesterday. Too many games where you question what he is doing and can speculate that what he did was a huge contributing factor to the loss. The 4th down play yesterday, said it in the thread, bad call. Worked out, which is great, but again called it out as the wrong call.

At some point a trend is a trend and not an isolated thing. We have a trend of Frank losing track of the NFL's best running game, and IMO that has been a large part of half of our losses this season, to me, that's a huge coaching issue.