ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 07:52 AM

Thanked 4,371 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
It isn't about the injury. It's about Ballard paying to bring in someone who hasn't done much on the field on a consistent basis.

I'm tired of us striking out when trying to find a second starting WR. We need to get someone who has actually consistently produced on the field and pay them or draft someone who can be and isn't a gadget developmental project player.

Experiments like Ryan Grant, Devin Funchess, etc are getting old and are biting this team in the ass. You can't keep doing this and then having to rely on TY so heavily because these guys don't work out.
Funchess may have been the right guy, but we may never know. He was far less of an experiment than Ryan Grant, et. al.
ChoppedWood (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 09:42 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Funchess may have been the right guy, but we may never know. He was far less of an experiment than Ryan Grant, et. al.
Not much less of an experiment. He had one decent year and the other years were pretty pedestrian to say "yeah, that's clearly a guy that should be our #2 WR"

It's time to end the experiments of bringing in those types of guys with one good season at best and hoping they work out for us. Either draft someone that can fill that role or bring in someone who has actually produced consistently. Ballard needs to quit trying to be the smartest guy in the league and spend some money. We don't have Luck anymore. Brissett clearly needs more help than someone like Luck might.

Last edited by Maniac; 12-03-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Not much less of an experiment. He had one decent year and the other years were pretty pedestrian to say "yeah, that's clearly a guy that should be our #2 WR"

It's time to end the experiments of bringing in those types of guys with one good season at best and hoping they work out for us. Either draft someone that can fill that role or bring in someone who has actually produced consistently. Ballard needs to quit trying to be the smartest guy in the league and spend some money. We don't have Luck anymore. Brissett clearly needs more help than someone like Luck might.
Overall I agree that Ballard needs to spend money and I didn’t particularly like the Funchess signing because it was only for one year. However, I’m actually hoping Funchess is back next year. Whatever the team saw in him hasn’t went away because of a broken collarbone. They still need to add more talent via the draft (preferably) or free agency, but ideally that’s in addition to Funchess returning, a healthy TY, and a healthy Paris Campbell. I could see Funchess bailing though. He signed thinking Luck was the QB and he wanted to maximize his future earnings. Not sure the current QB situation has the same potential for him.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Overall I agree that Ballard needs to spend money and I didn’t particularly like the Funchess signing because it was only for one year. However, I’m actually hoping Funchess is back next year. Whatever the team saw in him hasn’t went away because of a broken collarbone. They still need to add more talent via the draft (preferably) or free agency, but ideally that’s in addition to Funchess returning, a healthy TY, and a healthy Paris Campbell. I could see Funchess bailing though. He signed thinking Luck was the QB and he wanted to maximize his future earnings. Not sure the current QB situation has the same potential for him.
I'm fine with him returning if they want to bring him back, as long as they aren't relying on him to be the #2 WR
Old 12-03-2019, 03:43 PM

Thanked 4,371 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote:

Two words as to why he had just one good season: Cam Newton
Old 12-03-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Two words as to why he had just one good season: Cam Newton
Not necessarily true at all. You're assuming that to be the case. Steve Smith had back to back 1,100+ yard receiving years with Cam. Now if your argument is a TD argument, then you probably have a more valid point, because Cam leaches TD's at the goal line, but he throws for over 3,500 yards average per year outside of this injury year.

Jacoby certainly is no better than Cam anyway, so the QB argument is moot here.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:49 PM

Looks like the Klotz are kicking the tired on Dontrelle Inmann. He played well enough his last time here. May be a good bandaid for the rest of this putrid season.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:08 PM

Ballard is making noises about bringing Funchess back.
He must be drinking that "stupid juice" again.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckColt View Post
It's fine if he brings Funchess back, as long as he still does something to address the 2nd WR position.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckColt View Post
Why would it be stupid to bring Funchess back? Obviously Ballard saw something in him, and nothing about that should have changed. It's not like his collarbone injury is career threatening or anything. I'd be thrilled if we resigned him, though I think it's fair to debate how much he should be paid.

Incidentally, if anyone is curious, below is the Ballard quote from a couple days ago that you're characterizing as "making noises" about resigning Funchess:

Ballard: “That was a tough break for not only Devin, but for the team. We had big expectations for Devin, especially after Training Camp, seeing what his big frame and skillset was going to do for our offense, and then playing well in that first game vs. the Chargers. And I give Devin a lot of credit, he really bought in to everything we were doing here. He’s a good teammate. He works. It’s a shame that it’s worked out the way that is has. You never know what the future is going to hold, but we were very pleased with who he was as a person and teammate here over the last few months.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-04-2019), smitty46953 (12-03-2019)