ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-28-2017, 07:06 AM

Goodbye Mr. Parry, hello Mr. Poe !! ( hopefully )
The Following User Says Thank You to njcoltfan For This Useful Post:
Puck (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 07:51 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Mr. McAfee also had a run in with getting arrested while drunk and doing some stupid stuff in public. He was not immediately kicked off the team.

Now, McAfee's stunt did not involve assaulting anyone nor theft of a vehicle so there is a difference.

D'Q Jackson did assault a pizza delivery guy and was not immediately kicked off the team.

I think that how Parry responds to the incident will determine if he is a Colt in the fall. Irsay has a pretty big ability to forgive someone who shows that he is willing to work to put stuff like this behind him.

Does not make Parry any less stupid. But, I would not automatically assume that he is off the team.

And we will still need 2 NTs for a good rotation. Kerr is not really anything other than Just Another Guy (JAG) and I would prefer to have two good NTs if we could.

Of course, we could sign Poe or Brandon Williams and then draft a kid like Deangelo Brown out of Louisville in the 5th round. Brown did not get a combine invite but he should have; he has been a very good NT for 3 years now.

Cheers,
Old 02-28-2017, 08:40 AM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Pagano sucks as a coach, but you really can't blame him for this shit. It's all on Parry for being a dumb ass.
Yes you can. Pagano has installed a culture of zero accountability. It's the same reason multiple players have been busted for PED use and arrests have been a problem with this team before. It's the same reason this team does dumb things on the field, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
Wyatt (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 09:43 AM

For now, there seems to be a perception that Ballard might not be so opposed to bringing in guys with character issues (Tyreek Hill and Marcus Peters being guys that he supposedly was integral in bringing in).

That said, does he do so for a guy that's probably below league average at this position in Parry? Does he go through the hassle of waiting out a suspension for him, as would seem likely to assuredly happen?

I'm thinking he's probably not going to make the final roster, but he might not be cut immediately. They can keep him around and let him compete in training camp, but assuming that Ballard has completed the overhaul of this D that we all expect, this will just be one more checked box that Parry will not have when they're making final evaluations.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
For now, there seems to be a perception that Ballard might not be so opposed to bringing in guys with character issues (Tyreek Hill and Marcus Peters being guys that he supposedly was integral in bringing in).

That said, does he do so for a guy that's probably below league average at this position in Parry? Does he go through the hassle of waiting out a suspension for him, as would seem likely to assuredly happen?

I'm thinking he's probably not going to make the final roster, but he might not be cut immediately. They can keep him around and let him compete in training camp, but assuming that Ballard has completed the overhaul of this D that we all expect, this will just be one more checked box that Parry will not have when they're making final evaluations.
Holy crud! What does it take to show that a guy is getting it done in the NFL?
From my "State of the Colts" Defensive Line post:
Quote:
2016 Stats for Top 3-4 Nose Tackles:

68 tackles / 8 TFL / 7.0 sacks / 2 FF / 23 years old / Drafted #006 overall 2015 / Leonard Williams, NYJ
59 tackles / 1 TFL / 1.5 sacks / 0 FF / 24 years old / Drafted #012 overall 2015 / Danny Shelton, CLE
51 tackles / 3 TFL / 1.0 sacks / 0 FF / 28 years old / Drafted #094 overall 2013 / Brandon Williams, BAL
47 tackles / 1 TFL / 3.0 sacks / 0 FF / 25 years old / Drafted #151 overall 2015 / David Parry, IND
39 tackles / 3 TFL / 3.5 sacks / 0 FF / 27 years old / Drafted #003 overall 2011 / Marcell Dareus, BUF
33 tackles / 3 TFL / 1.0 sacks / 1 FF / 30 years old / Drafted #032 overall 2009 / Ziggy Hood, WAS
29 tackles / 3 TFL / 1.0 sacks / 0 FF / 28 years old / Drafted #028 overall 2013 / Sylvester Williams, DEN
27 tackles / 3 TFL / 2.0 sacks / 0 FF / 24 years old / Drafted #089 overall 2016 / Javon Hargrave, PIT
27 tackles / 1 TFL / 1.5 sacks / 1 FF / 27 years old / Drafted #011 overall 2012 / Dontari Poe, KC
Performance on the field matters! For a 3-4 NT, a pretty darn good judge of if the guy is being effective or not is if he is getting tackles. And if you watch Colts football at all, you can see him getting penetration and splitting double teams on a fairly regular basis.

Is he the best NT in the league? Nope, not by a long shot. Will he ever be? Probably not.

He is the problem right now on a pretty bad 3-4 defense? No he is not and to say that he is easily replaceable is a pretty dumb statement.

Goodness, half of you want to dismantle whatever small success we have had on defense to spite our face. The key to getting better is staying status quo on the few guys whom are at least NFL average or better (Parry, Davis, Geathers.....ummmm, help me out here.......) and replace the folks that are not with better folks.

Not get rid of one of the few guys who was doing his job last season.

Get rid of him because he is a dumb shit, sure. If management does that I will not bat an eye.

But, for goodness sake, give him credit for being one of the most productive 3-4 NTs last year because he was. Don't downgrade his performance on the field just because you were not paying attention or have decided that because he was a low round draft choice that he cannot be any good. Robert Mathis, Jeff Saturday and Antonine Bethea would all be laughing at you.

Sorry. Bad day at work. I needed to vent.

Cheers,
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
indycolts2 (02-28-2017), Puck (02-28-2017), YDFL Commish (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post

Performance on the field matters! For a 3-4 NT, a pretty darn good judge of if the guy is being effective or not is if he is getting tackles. And if you watch Colts football at all, you can see him getting penetration and splitting double teams on a fairly regular basis.

Is he the best NT in the league? Nope, not by a long shot. Will he ever be? Probably not.

He is the problem right now on a pretty bad 3-4 defense? No he is not and to say that he is easily replaceable is a pretty dumb statement.

Goodness, half of you want to dismantle whatever small success we have had on defense to spite our face. The key to getting better is staying status quo on the few guys whom are at least NFL average or better (Parry, Davis, Geathers.....ummmm, help me out here.......) and replace the folks that are not with better folks.

Get rid of him because he is a dumb shit, sure. If management does that I will not bat an eye.

But, for goodness sake, give him credit for being one of the most productive 3-4 NTs last year because he was. Don't downgrade his performance on the field just because you were not paying attention or have decided that because he was a low round draft choice that he cannot be any good. Robert Mathis, Jeff Saturday and Antonine Bethea would all be laughing at you.

Cheers,
According to PFF, which I know you've cited many times, he was even worse than I insinuated:

Quote:
Last year, Parry graded as just the No. 110 interior defender among 127 qualifiers, per Pro Football Focus.
https://www.profootballrumors.com/20...parry-arrested

My eye test, which is admittedly limited, seemed to indicate that he had taken a step back. Combine that with PFF giving him some poor grades throughout the season, and I thought it was a fairly safe bet that he was at least below average.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coltsalr For This Useful Post:
Puck (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
WTF is this nonsense? A stretch, putting it mildly. How in the hell are you going to blame Pagano for a player doing some dumb bullshit in the offseason? I guess in your world, Belicheat cultivates a culture of murder, and John Harbaugh a culture of domestic violence as well? I know most of you hate Pagano, but this is ludicrous.
And how could you possibly say firing Grigson did not have anything to do with changing the culture when Grigs was fired after the end of the season and Grigs could have had no influence one way or the other.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
Wait, so you mean firing Ryan Grigson DIDN'T cure the bullshit culture surrounding this team?

You mean Pagano might actually have a hand in the losing/unaccountability culture of this team?

Shocked, I tell ya.
Dumb post
Old 02-28-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post

Cheers,
Stats can be very misleading. Kinda reminds me when Angerer was getting all those tackles but a lot of them were like 10-15 yards beyond the LOS.

Parry is rotational at best.

Btw, Leonard Williams doesnt play nose.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
According to PFF, which I know you've cited many times, he was even worse than I insinuated:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/20...parry-arrested

My eye test, which is admittedly limited, seemed to indicate that he had taken a step back. Combine that with PFF giving him some poor grades throughout the season, and I thought it was a fairly safe bet that he was at least below average.
Well that is interesting.

I don't pay for PFF grades so the only ones that I ever have access to are the free ones that they put into their articles. I had not seen one for Parry up until you posted it.

It is interesting that he can have the 4th highest tackle number of all 3-4 NTs in the league but somehow be graded in the bottom 15% of all defensive linemen in the league.

My eye test saw him splitting double teams with some frequency and making piles to re-route runners. Granted, his piles were sometimes 3 - 4 yards downfield which is not ideal but I really felt like he was one of the few on our D-line that was playing at least NFL average.

So, I apologize if I came off harsh earlier. I was judging by performance and you were using PFF grades which I often agree with. On this player, I would like to know how they are grading because their grade does not correspond with my view of his performance.

Cheers,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (02-28-2017), Puck (02-28-2017)